+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    A lot of people are having trouble trying to get a house in Canberra this posting. A few mums from the girls school don't have one either. Hope something comes up fast!
    There is nothing available.... They offered us a 2bed apartment for 2adults and 3kids. Plus it's so bloody expensive for rentals.

Urgh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    We still don't have a house. DHA are not being helpful at all so looking now for a private rental.
    We haven't looked as we are not there yet. What is DHA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    A lot of people are having trouble trying to get a house in Canberra this posting. A few mums from the girls school don't have one either. Hope something comes up fast!
    Do u mean buying a house or renting?
    and is it not enough houses or what was the issue of not being able to "get a house"?

Now, i am worried because we have only looked on the internet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by del79 View Post
    We haven't looked as we are not there yet. What is DHA?
    and is it not enough houses or what was the issue of not being able to "get a house"?

DHA is defence housing which is housing for defence personnel that get shifted to various cities.

There are no defence houses in Canberra so we have to look at private rentals but that's way more expensive than a defence house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rentals here are so expensive! We have lots of defence families/members in our building. I'd say about 30%. We mostly have 2br apartments though. Some 3br on the top floor, but we don't have a lift. So it's 3 floors of stairs up to the top :/
    Are you just looking in Gunghalin? I'm sure there are other members who can give you the low down on other Canbo suburbs if you need! How stressful! Don't you have a newborn?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    Rentals here are so expensive! We have lots of defence families/members in our building. I'd say about 30%. We mostly have 2br apartments though. Some 3br on the top floor, but we don't have a lift. So it's 3 floors of stairs up to the top :/
    Are you just looking in Gunghalin? I'm sure there are other members who can give you the low down on other Canbo suburbs if you need! How stressful! Don't you have a newborn?
    Yes we have a newborn. We've enrolled our daughter into Harrison school so looking for houses around there. Dh has been looking for houses for weeks now. Even cut short his paternity leave to head back but it's a tight market. And he is useless at private rentals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes we have a newborn. We've enrolled our daughter into Harrison school so looking for houses around there. Dh has been looking for houses for weeks now. Even cut short his paternity leave to head back but it's a tight market. And he is useless at private rentals.
    Has he just been looking at harrison? You could also look at amaroo, ngunnawal, Franklin, forde, bonner, jacka, Casey. They're all suburbs within a 10 min drive of harrison school. The good thing about gungahlin is all the suburbs are linked by three main arterial roads.

Unfortunately it is a very tight rental market here and rent is ridiculous for what you get. Our market is pushed up because of the apparent high wages that are inflated by a small portion of the population.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are likely to be a one car family next year so looking at places within a 2km walk of the school. Otherwise we will have to change schools if we don't find a house in the area b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gungahlin/Harrison mums groups

There is nothing available.... They offered us a 2bed apartment for 2adults and 3kids. Plus it's so bloody expensive for rentals.

Urgh
    That is really cr4ppy! How can a family of 5 live in a 2 bedroom place when you are also entitled to a 3bedder?
    I have heard how expensive it is to not only rent but buy in Canberra too. I don't even know how RA works when it comes to expensive areas to live, could imagine it would still cost a fortune 😁 I hope for your sake, something pops up last minute. Houses usually come online at 2-3am if you continue to check.
    Last edited by BabyG4; 01-11-2015 at 12:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Depends where you are being posted Del. I'm in SA where there are plenty of houses, some in not ideal spots but still plenty available. Places like Canberra and Sydney have a shortage unfortunately.
    It can be extremely overwhelming when you are first starting out, look up some fb pages where other defence spouses can give you a heads up on everything you need to do.