+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids chores and pocket money question

What are your kids chores and how much pocket money do they get?

I'm wanting to make ds1(6yrs) a chore chart and give him pocket money for it. At the moment he gets $1 on the weekend for making his bed during the week. He knows the value of money better now and wants to save for something so I want to increase how much he gets on the weekends. I'm thinking 3 chores a day for $3 on the weekend. Things like, make his bed in the morning, help set the dinner table or clear dishes and feed the dog. He is already expected to pack away his toys, put his clothes in the washing basket etc so don't want to put them on a chore chart. Do you think this is fair? Any other chore suggestions?

Also my 3yr old will want to help and have some chores too. I'm just starting to get him to help make his bed in the mornings, maybe 1 more thing he can help with for $1 to put in his money box.

Thanks 😊
    Last edited by twolittlemunchkins; 12-09-2015 at 15:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids chores and pocket money question

My almost 5 year old gets $5 each Friday for putting dirty clothes in the laundry, helping set the table, and tidying the toy room.
    He regularly saves for things and we match his savings dollar for dollar. So if he saves $30 for a Lego set we will give him another $30 to go towards it.
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 13-09-2015 at 13:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No pocket money here.
    All chores are just being part of a family.
    Any jobs for money are negotiable.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-09-2015),bun  (12-09-2015),cheeeeesecake  (12-09-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids (not my youngest) get $20 each a month.
    They are 6, 8 and 10 (11 next month)

Jobs they do:
    Take out rubbish
    Hang washing out
    Clean rooms and make beds
    Set and clear/ clean table
    Empty dishwasher and load it ( I do the knives, heavy stuff though)
    Vaccum their bedrooms
    Clean the bathroom mirror ( they like wiping toothpaste all over it so they now clean it)
    Help with yard work.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS has started getting pocket money this year. He has to set and clear the table, put his dirty laundry in the machine and feed the cat.
    He gets $5 a week and has really started to understand the value of money and how to save for things. He also adorably always tells me that if I see any shoes I like for $5 he will get them for me any time I like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds is 6yrs and to be honest I've been slack in following through with my ideas.
    I think I might start to get him to do chores for reasons PP said (being part of family).
    As for pocket money, I've been planing to give him $5 per week, but I forget and he forgets too.
    I think I spoil him to much!
    :-/
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 12-09-2015 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We do pocket money a little differently.

We put $5 a fortnight (in 50c coins) into a jar- one for each kid.
    If a job doesn't get done, they 'lose' 50c.
    They also 'lose' it for inappropriate/"bad" behaviour- not first time offences unless it is something major (e.g. DSD choking DSS) as we talk about those first.

Jobs- Make bed, toys away, shoes/clothes away (this includes folding clean items from basket), set/clean table, vacuum their room, strip/remake beds, laundry into kitchen.

Extra money can be made by offering to do things- e.g. I'm currently pregnant, and the kids know I am tired often, so they have been offering to do the dishes and put laundry on.

ETA: the money goes in on a friday, and by sun eve they put whatever is left into their wallets. We do NOT take money away once in their wallets, as it is then 'earned'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 7 and gets $5 a week. His jobs are open curtains, make bed, kept room tidy, dry dishes, put clothes away and put dirty clothes out for wash, set table, clean up you area at end of night, and general help if asked.

He's very good and while some of these things are just expected regardless of the pocket money (ie room/clothes and tidying up) it's apart of his 'jobs' and he knows that they are non negotiable.

We will deducted 50c if he refuses to do a job after his warning and it's his choice. He can earn it back but helping out other ways if he chooses. We have a bottom line of $1 though if being deducted so he always gets seething for doing the compulsory jobs.

He understands the basic value of money and regularly saves up to $50 for items he wants (generally Lego) and we don't take away any money already in his money jar as he has earned that.

DS2 is 2yrs and loves to help! He helps put away some cutlery, put the place mats away and the washing (which means he throws them in his door way lol). He is keen to help and we are big believers in children contributing to the family and also understanding that in life if you want something you need to work for it and it won't be handed to you on a silver platter.

They get to be kids without pressure of being too responsible while also ring active members of our household.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The boys get $7 per week. $2 of which goes into their bank. The other $5 they save for something they really want until we go to the big shops. They both make their beds, put their clean clothes away in their draws, feed the dog, keep their room tidy, set the table.