+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When does ds need a doctor?

I'm a bit worried about about ds. I think I might be over reacting but thought I'd ask the lovely ladies of Bub hub lol.

So DS, 18 months old. Woke up this morning a bit sooky. Didn't think much of it. Couple of hours after that his nose is like a tap with green snot. He was miserable all day, slept only a small amount and woke up crying. He has a blocked nose, sounds very snotty. He's thrown up small amounts of crap - fair bit of phlegm in it. He was happy for a bit after throwing up. He had the smallest amount of dinner but was ok, had a shower with Dp and went to bed. He was sooking a bit but started falling asleep. Now he's gone and thrown up all through his cot. So started cleaning everything up while he's screaming and crying. Then he starts shaking. Like really shaking. I mean it's cool here but nothing worthy of shaking like that.
    He's settled down a bit now, he's still coughing a lot and very snotty. He's in bed with Dp and I. Not normal for us, don't do much co sleeping unless he's really sick. I'm hoping to put him to bed shortly but want him to be completely calm first.
    When should I be worrying that it's something a bit more serious?
    He's also had a higher than normal temp as well. Panadol brought it back down to reasonable but of course he's thrown up all the panadol now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as he's not getting too dehydrated there's probably not much the doctor is going to do anyway. Has he had much fluid today and had some wet nappies? You could take him tomorrow to check its not an infection but if it's just a virus they're just going to say continue with panadol, fluids etc. If he threw up the panadol you could give some neurofen, when my DD is really sick I alternate the two. Hope he's ok, it's awful when they're so unwell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    As long as he's not getting too dehydrated there's probably not much the doctor is going to do anyway. Has he had much fluid today and had some wet nappies? You could take him tomorrow to check its not an infection but if it's just a virus they're just going to say continue with panadol, fluids etc. If he threw up the panadol you could give some neurofen, when my DD is really sick I alternate the two. Hope he's ok, it's awful when they're so unwell.
    Thank you. I think I panic sometimes and don't think straight! Hate seeing him so miserable. It really is awful.
    He hasn't had as much fluids as he normally would but he has a few wet nappies so I don't think dehydration is a concern. But I'll keep an eye on him. Ok, I'll give him nurofen. Hopefully he will keep it down.
    Thank you again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our GP has said to come see her when snot turns from clear to green, because it signals a bacterial infection and antibiotics may be needed.

As to whether you need to seek medical advice ASAP or not, maybe give Health Direct a call and a nurse can give you some advice and hopefully reassurance.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 11-09-2015 at 21:55.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When does ds need a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Our GP has said to come see her when snot turns from clear to green, because it signals a bacterial infection and antibiotics may be needed.

As to whether you need to seek medical advice ASAP or not, maybe give Health Direct a call and a nurse can give you some advice and hopefully reassurance.
    That's an interesting one. My gp has never mentioned that. Mind u this is only the fourth illness DS has had so I guess we are lucky there. I didn't notice any snot this morning and it just appeared green. It's been going from green to clear all day.

He's gone to sleep in his cot so hopefully that's a good sign, if he struggles again I'll give them a call and see what they say. Our normal gp doesn't work weekends so we have to see the other gp who comes in and I really don't like her.

Thank you 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was similar earlier this week. Tuesday night she woke up really stressed, shaking etc but no temp and took a while to calm her down. I'm just getting over a virus and wasn't going to take her to the docs, but she didn't seem herself the next morning. Lucky I did as she had an ear infection and by the afternoon was miserable and in pain. It's always worth going to a GP tomorrow if you're worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawaii View Post
    My DD was similar earlier this week. Tuesday night she woke up really stressed, shaking etc but no temp and took a while to calm her down. I'm just getting over a virus and wasn't going to take her to the docs, but she didn't seem herself the next morning. Lucky I did as she had an ear infection and by the afternoon was miserable and in pain. It's always worth going to a GP tomorrow if you're worried.
    Thank you, that's something to keep an eye on.

We are awake again 😞 he's got a temp and very upset, he than vomited all the water he drank. Started screaming because he couldn't get any more up when he tried

What is a worrying temp? When should I be extremely concerned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say anything 40+ at that age would be a concern. My 3yo was 40.3 last week but we managed to get it down.

The vomiting is a worry. Little ones can get dehydrated quickly.

Why don't u call health direct & seek their advice or call a GP after hours? I'm a panicker too so I understand not wanting to overreact but then that little voice in my head says better to be safe than sorry 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My guide is fever more than 72hrs, vomiting more than 24hrs but I never go to the doc for snotty noses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VirgoMama View Post
    I would say anything 40+ at that age would be a concern. My 3yo was 40.3 last week but we managed to get it down.

The vomiting is a worry. Little ones can get dehydrated quickly.

Why don't u call health direct & seek their advice or call a GP after hours? I'm a panicker too so I understand not wanting to overreact but then that little voice in my head says better to be safe than sorry 😏
    Thank you. His temp was at its highest at 39 but panadol brought it down.
    This is going to sound so dumb but what should I dress him in? He's so hot I don't want to over dress him but I don't want him getting cold.

We barely made it through the the night so I'm gonna see how he goes for a couple of hours, if he's no improvement or worse I will give health direct a call.
    Thank you.