+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My 3.5 year old would be the one scared to go on that equipment as she gets nervous around things that open.

And why? Not because I'm a helicopter parent but because of the time she fell off such play equipment as I was one of those mums who was sitting chatting with a friend.

I'm not so much blaming myself or saying I was irresponsible or negligent but I don't think it should be a blanket you're either a helicopter parent or irresponsible if you aren't, but it depends on the child as to what is appropriate.

Some kids need helicopter parents, some need free range. Let's not judge parents either way

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),BettyV  (12-09-2015),Californication  (12-09-2015),Frankenmum  (12-09-2015),Renesme  (12-09-2015),SAgirl  (12-09-2015),TheGooch  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Off topic somewhat. ..my friend and were sitting in her front yard watching the kids play/ride in the culdesac 5 kids age 2-5...next thing my friend hollers "be careful, stop running!!"to the 5yo. I said whats happened? She said "she's running on the bitumen, if she falls she'll hurt herself". I was incredulous! I felt sorry for the child who wasn't allowed to run...but more I felt sorry for my friend who must feel such huge anxiety that her kids might be hurt to stop such a simple activity as running on a hard surface its not childhood if you haven't skinned your knees! My friends children are all quite clumsy with poor gross motor skills...I'm not sure what came first, the clumsy or the "be careful"...I suspect the latter
    Oh dear. My parents are like this with my kids. They hardly ever see them and when they do they helicopter and constantly tell them not to do/ try things. It reminds me of my childhood, funnily enough I'm very clumsy and definitely lack confidence and I'm over cautious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    My 3.5 year old would be the one scared to go on that equipment as she gets nervous around things that open.

And why? Not because I'm a helicopter parent but because of the time she fell off such play equipment as I was one of those mums who was sitting chatting with a friend.

I'm not so much blaming myself or saying I was irresponsible or negligent but I don't think it should be a blanket you're either a helicopter parent or irresponsible if you aren't, but it depends on the child as to what is appropriate.

Some kids need helicopter parents, some need free range. Let's not judge parents either way
    My son broke his arm at 26 months when I was standing right there in front of him. He fell through a climbing rope similar to the picture that was posted. It didn't stop him from doing anything. He even was doing stunts with a broken arm but he has always had no fear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My son broke his arm at 26 months when I was standing right there in front of him. He fell through a climbing rope similar to the picture that was posted. It didn't stop him from doing anything. He even was doing stunts with a broken arm but he has always had no fear.

My 6yo DD broke her arm at school falling from the monkey bars. She'd been using them all year and this one time she slipped and landed badly. If it's going to happen, there's rarely anything you can do to stop it hey?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, parts of this thread are just too funny.

I just wanted to add re. stopping your kids getting injured.... my DS2 currently has a broken ankle. How? you may ask? Did he fall off a 6ft piece of equipment? Monkey bars? Playing tackle footy? Wrestling a crocodile? Nope (although I have told him that wrestling a crocodile makes for a much more exciting story).
    He stood up.
    He was sitting on the ground. He stood up. Broken ankle.
    My point is, sometimes you just can't stop your kids from hurting themselves. Even if you are standing right there, minimising every risk that they take, they can still hurt themselves. It's part of life. It's ok!! It's not the end of the world if they hurt themselves, they do recover!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (12-09-2015),gizmoduckus  (13-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (12-09-2015),MrsSS  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Proves my point, it depends on the kid as to what will work for their personality.

I guess though it's that nature vs nurture debate though really.

I've always believed in a combination of both / case by case basis.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),VicPark  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I find it quite odd that someone would ring their child's day care 4 - 5 times a day to be honest. I find it almost impossible to believe (unless it was a new thing). I could understand once or maybe event twice but 4 or 5 times? Each time you are ringing you are using up a carers time that they could be spending with the children. Imagine if every single parent did that? I'd even go to the point of saying if you feel you have to ring that many times you might need professional help in dealing with anxiety etc.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Proves my point, it depends on the kid as to what will work for their personality.

I guess though it's that nature vs nurture debate though really.

I've always believed in a combination of both / case by case basis.
    My point was that it can happen no matter what. If you're right there it can still happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't relate to many parents being relaxed enough to sit and chat and not have their eyes on their child the whole time. I'm a little jealous tbh

My 4.5 year old still randomly decides to run off at the park (he has ASD). He thinks it's hilarious, but when your child doesn't have a proper sense of danger it's bloody frightening! I can sit on a park bench & watch him play, but I have to keep my eyes glued to him and be ready to run after him at any given moment.

The running off has always been a bigger issue than potential injury. He's actually pretty cautious on the equipment.

Most of the kids I see that are aged around 2 usually have a parent very close by, or they're with older siblings. I see adequate supervision almost all of the time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-09-2015),AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty free range. I let the kids go and explore, if they yell out I will come but other than that I leave them to it. I trust them to know their limitations, plus I freaking hate going to the park...
    As for calling daycare 4-5 times a day, that must drive them insane! Imagine if every parent did that?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (12-09-2015)