+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Your comment here is very interesting to me. I try to be as free range as possible. The reading I have done seems to suggest that letting kids have more freedom to explore allows them to learn their own abilities and limitations. I wonder if your child would learn appropriate fear and learn how to avoid falls etc if she was given space. Please dont take this the wrong way. You obviously know your child best. Sometimes we can do things with the intention of helping our kids but the more I think about it I wonder if it is actually hindering them. I have been reading a few things by Janet Lansbury lately that touches on this stuff so if you have time it might interest you to look her up. X
    She has her own space and until a month ago in daycare full time ( in a fairly free range environment. I'm just not irresponsible and won't let her climb on (age) inappropriate equipment without me there, fine with smaller ( age appropriate ) equipment. she has also always been a social butterfly

Thanks
    Reviews
    @FearlessLeader those pieces of equipment don't bother me so much ( well money bars - can't see how you get up on other piece) as she would climb first two steps then not be able to reach and climb down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Supervision at the park

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    She has her own space and until a month ago in daycare full time ( in a fairly free range environment. I'm just not irresponsible and won't let her climb on (age) inappropriate equipment without me there, fine with smaller ( age appropriate ) equipment. she has also always been a social butterfly
    I don't know how old she is but my youngest is 2 and no matter how much I think something is too hard for her because of her age, I just have to let her go because she want to copy her brother and sister anyway. She also knows her limitations and will call out for help. Then when I get there she tells me she can do it herself

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441975319.903294.jpgthis is the equipment she ( and others) were on. To the right it steps up, ( platforms) making it easy for little ones to climb to the top. Then it's all open

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @FearlessLeader those pieces of equipment don't bother me so much ( well money bars - can't see how you get up on other piece) as she would climb first two steps then not be able to reach and climb down.
    My DD is bang on 2 in that pic and she's a wee one- about 20th percentile or something. If she can reach most 2 year olds could!
    Anyway what I wanted to demonstrate with those pics is that they are two examples of times I wouldn't even look twice at my two year old attempting. I know they can/could do it. But parents always tut tut that I'm not standing next to them when they do that sort of thing- instead I'm generally on the other side of the park, fairly ignoring them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Attachment 73572this is the equipment she ( and others) were on. To the right it steps up, ( platforms) making it easy for little ones to climb to the top. Then it's all open
    I would let my 2 year old play on that and not hover. She would call out if she needed help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I would let my 2 year old play on that and not hover. She would call out if she needed help.
    Same.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly, OP I think you sound like a super caring mum and at that age a really high platform would make me nervous too. You absolutely have to judge it based on your own child and your assessment of the risk involved. You did say that you let her play on her own on equipment that's not high off the ground so I don't think you're a helicopter parent - I have a friend that feels the need to hold her DDs hand on the most basic, safe equipment and I think she's a little over the top and definitely a helicopter parent!

Our local park has a high platform on the 'big kids' equipment. I used to stand next to it when DD was around 2/2.5yrs but once she was confident on it I let her be. If there are lots of bigger kids and I think it's a bit risky (ie high chance of getting knocked off) then I'll tell her to play on the smaller stuff until the big kids are done.

If I'm at a park/playground with friends we tend to sit back and let the kids run free. We always keep an eye on them and our kids know to come to us if anyone is hurt or upset or if a stranger talks to them.

Regarding comments about wanting to enjoy every minute, that's a beautiful sentiment but needs to be balanced with what's best for the child. I think hovering over your kids at all times and being with them every minute is more about what the parent wants than what the child needs. Parenting is not about proximity. Teaching children to manage their own risks, negotiate social situations, try (and fail!) at various challenges, and explore their world in their own way is such an important part of parenting. Letting go and giving them the space to do so is the hardest part of parenting!!

As I said, the parent is by far the best judge of what is appropriate for their child so do whatever you feel is best and try not to worry about what others are doing.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-09-2015),BettyV  (12-09-2015),Elijahs Mum  (12-09-2015),Full House  (12-09-2015),hoping28  (12-09-2015),JustJaq  (11-09-2015),Lincolns mummy  (12-09-2015),NoteToSelf  (12-09-2015),Renesme  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015),Ruby_Tuesday15  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a bit rich to judge it irresponsible for parents to allow their children to climb equipment that YOU deem inappropriate. As a few of us have said, our 2 year olds are fine on that sort of equipment, and we have explained that we feel it is responsible to let kids figure out their own abilities. It's not irresponsible it's just a different point of view.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

DT75  (12-09-2015),Elijahs Mum  (12-09-2015),gizmoduckus  (13-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015),snowqu33n  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    A prem baby. And after 6 years of trying. She has a family history of allergies and she can't talk yet. How else am i meant to know her day?
    Does your daycare centre provide daily updates by email? Ours does, we get a summary of what the kids did that day including pics and little stories about the activities. I also talk to the carers when I pick the kids up and see how they've been that day. They document things like food intake, sleep times etc so I can get a pretty good idea of how the day went.

I have a 4yo and a 1yo so obviously the younger one can't tell me about his day. He's been having issues settling in, has had quite a few health concerns, and was an IVF baby so I understand the protectiveness you must feel. I just don't see how calling several times a day is helpful - I'd rather the carers spend the time focusing on my child rather than on the phone reassuring me. I trust that they'll call (and they do) if there's anything to worry about.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-09-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (12-09-2015),Full House  (12-09-2015),gizmoduckus  (13-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),Mokeybear  (12-09-2015),Mopoke  (15-09-2015),Tamtam  (11-09-2015),twinklify  (12-09-2015)