+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    I still call 4-5 times a day even though i trust the carers.
    Are you ok with this or is it something you want to Change? Are the carers ok with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My first was also extremely cautious and I was guilty of not watching her one day and she fell badly off equipment and was bleeding. I saw it from a distance and ran over but felt awful. One of the mums who was helping her asked me if I was the nanny and I thought it was because I looked so young 😎 but then I realised it was because I was being so inattentive.

So I watched more closely after that. But then I had no 2, who was a daredevil but extremely capable so little by little I let go. No 3 is more like his sister and wanted me close but is more independent now and no 4 couldn't care less if I was even at the park let alone beside her. She smacks my hand away when I try and help her and tells me to "go!" When I try and stand close.

Every child is different and I'd trust the parents to know their own kids and their capabilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are you ok with this or is it something you want to Change? Are the carers ok with it?
    Everyone seems ok so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Pfft. When we are at the park, my kids would much rather play with the other kids than me!

I've got 3 kids, all close in age so can't follow them all around. I keep an eye on my 2 year old but I don't hover.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, it bothers you when parents don't seem to be watching their kids. It bothers me when other parents start watching MY kids and telling them to be careful or 'maybe wait for mummy' before they do something THEY perceive is too dangerous or difficult. This is my local park

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441973205.539384.jpg

I'm completely confident that my 2.5 year old DD can do everything she can access safely and with confidence. The only time I really watch her is at the water play, because there are some really slippery rocks. She now won't go down that big slide by herself because so many mums have convinced her it's dangerous and scary. She's gone down it at least 100 times and never had an issue, but her confidence in her own abilities has been shattered.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),hoping28  (12-09-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-09-2015),twinklify  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    OP, it bothers you when parents don't seem to be watching their kids. It bothers me when other parents start watching MY kids and telling them to be careful or 'maybe wait for mummy' before they do something THEY perceive is too dangerous or difficult. This is my local park

Attachment 73567

I'm completely confident that my 2.5 year old DD can do everything she can access safely and with confidence. The only time I really watch her is at the water play, because there are some really slippery rocks. She now won't go down that big slide by herself because so many mums have convinced her it's dangerous and scary. She's gone down it at least 100 times and never had an issue, but her confidence in her own abilities has been shattered.
    Not my place, I don't go that far.
    That park looks great, ( well I tried to zoom in and what I saw of it looks good). I would have no hesitation DD playing there as it didn't appear to be extremely high. ( or atleast no sudden drops)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Supervision at the park

I never tell my kids to 'be careful' I've seen them falter and freeze, start to look scared when I've said it in the past. I think it takes away the confidence they have in their ability.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 11-09-2015 at 22:36.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)
    )
    Your comment here is very interesting to me. I try to be as free range as possible. The reading I have done seems to suggest that letting kids have more freedom to explore allows them to learn their own abilities and limitations. I wonder if your child would learn appropriate fear and learn how to avoid falls etc if she was given space. Please dont take this the wrong way. You obviously know your child best. Sometimes we can do things with the intention of helping our kids but the more I think about it I wonder if it is actually hindering them. I have been reading a few things by Janet Lansbury lately that touches on this stuff so if you have time it might interest you to look her up. X

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Not my place, I don't go that far.
    That park looks great, ( well I tried to zoom in and what I saw of it looks good). I would have no hesitation DD playing there as it didn't appear to be extremely high. ( or atleast no sudden drops)
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441974254.397368.jpg

Those ropes are about 1.5m off the ground. She can get up there no worries BUT she also realises that she can't climb across that sort of thing on her own so she doesn't try. She can do this though!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441974595.852775.jpg

And this, even though this is DS at the same age

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441974635.101930.jpg

Neither of them have ever had a serious accident in the playground, because they both know their own physical limitations very well. I know that's not the case for all kids, but they do- and it's partly because they've been given the chance to discover their limitations on their own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hover over my two and half year old. BUT she has a disability and is not that stable on her legs so I have to. Just today under supervision at physio she fell backwards and whacked her head.

BUT....I yearn for the day (yes yearn! !) That she can do the slides and climb herself. I'll watch. But from a distance.
    As for other parents. ..I don't particularly care as long as their kid is not being mean or a bully. If they are I wish the parent would supervise and intervene on those occasions.

To the poster who mentioned daycare and hovering because your child is a prem. My daughter has a syndrome and a heart defect..a very serious one. She goes to daycare. I never call (unless I'm worried about something).... I try not to hover, I want her to explore. I trust her carers.
    This doesn't mean I don't love her.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (11-09-2015)