+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I'm just with the kids, I stand close enough to see but not right next to them. To an observer they probably don't look like there's a parent nearby, but I'm there. Often on my phone, but I know where they are. If they're on a particularly high piece of equipment (ie. above my head) I get closer but otherwise I'm pretty relaxed.

If I'm there with other adults, I talk and keep an eye on them from a distance. I haven't really paid that much attention to what other parents are doing. And if anyone is judging me then meh, I don't care.

In a full time SAHM so the park usually bores me to tears because we go so often. Give me a play centre any day where I can sit with a coffee, not watch my kids at all and read a book instead ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess stats freak me out a bit http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...6/injcat91.pdf
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)

Ask me in a few years when we're on our 4th child ( but then I guess the older siblings look out for them)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love to sit and chat, or even just sit! Sadly DD has other ideas so if I even remotely look like sitting down or moving away she yells for mummy is there such thing as a helicopter child? If so I definitely have one

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2015),AdornedWithCats  (11-09-2015),CakeyMumma  (11-09-2015),Cardi  (13-09-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2015),FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (12-09-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-09-2015),Mokeybear  (12-09-2015),Wise Enough  (13-09-2015),yadot  (11-09-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Because watching your kid go down the slide 50 times is boring!
    My ds is at an age where he has just learnt to go down the slide by himself. So for me it is very exciting! but who knows when he is older what I'll do.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I guess stats freak me out a bit http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...6/injcat91.pdf
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)

Ask me in a few years when we're on our 4th child ( but then I guess the older siblings look out for them)
    Interesting that most injuries were the 5-9 age group, mostly fractured arms from falling. IME teaching, injuries in that age group happen when equipment is being used incorrectly, eg, climbing on the roof of a play structure or hanging off the side.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with @Sonja. I watch with a distant eye. Imo the more kids fall as kids and toddlers the better it is for them to learn about gravity and depth perception.

I have fearless kids and I'm not going to give them anxiety by hovering over them. I've also never rung up daycare to ask about them. If there is a problem they will call me.

Definitely not a helicopter parent. Not quite free range as I'm there but I let them sort out their kiddy problems by themselves.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),Moxy  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Supervision at the park

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post

Forgive me as I didn't read the whole report (very tired eyes tonight) but the fact that age group are having so many accidents is precisely why I want my kids to explore and take age appropriate risks from a young age. It seems that older kids are having accidents that they might have been able to avoid if they figured out their bodies' limitations or abilities from a younger age.

This isn't specifically directed at you OP but it has got me wondering. I was parent helper at DS's kindy a few weeks ago and the kids were being made to hop skip jump and just run. I was shocked at how reluctant many of them were to try things and how low some of the kids muscle tone was. Our kindy no longer has monkey bars because they couldn't find a sufficiently safe spot for them. So many restrictions on kids taking risks and learning about their bodies.

I'm not for one moment suggesting your parenting style will lead to that but it's definitely made me think. I now have my 10 year old doing Pilates and going back to gym as I feel there is so little opportunity for children to hurt themselves (safely).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),hoping28  (12-09-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Personally I had to be there as DD was quite an anxious child and scared of everything so wouldnt do anything unless I was there ...

but eventually she learned to let go and explore and I let her be.

Many of the other kids were very adventurous and we all used to sit and chat (DD would happily sit and play tea sets though so I sat and chatted half the time )

I wouldnt pass judgement as the level of supervision needed is so dependent on individual children.

Not saying that everyone is perfect and supervises there children as much as needed - they clearly dont. But that doesnt mean that every 2 yr old needs to be closely supervised either ... it just varies so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Interesting that most injuries were the 5-9 age group, mostly fractured arms from falling. IME teaching, injuries in that age group happen when equipment is being used incorrectly, eg, climbing on the roof of a play structure or hanging off the side.
    Yes saw this today too, the kids would have been in this age group, which being a school day I thought strange but at least their parents were underneath and told them to be careful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Forgive me as I didn't read the whole report (very tired eyes tonight) but the fact that age group are having so many accidents is precisely why I want my kids to explore and take age appropriate risks from a young age. It seems that older kids are having accidents that they might have been able to avoid if they figured out their bodies' limitations or abilities from a younger age.

This isn't specifically directed at you OP but it has got me wondering. I was parent helper at DS's kindy a few weeks ago and the kids were being made to hop skip jump and just run. I was shocked at how reluctant many of them were to try things and how low some of the kids muscle tone was. Our kindy no longer has monkey bars because they couldn't find a sufficiently safe spot for them. So many restrictions on kids taking risks and learning about their bodies.

I'm not for one moment suggesting your parenting style will lead to that but it's definitely made me think. I now have my 10 year old doing Pilates and going back to gym as I feel there is so little opportunity for children to hurt themselves (safely).
    Didn't take offence, I personally think kids need more outdoor time and good old fashion play, just didn't sit right an under 2 on very high, open equipment.
    Our DD is first in line to explore and try new things at daycare