+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 181
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked
    985
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess stats freak me out a bit http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...6/injcat91.pdf
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)

    Ask me in a few years when we're on our 4th child ( but then I guess the older siblings look out for them)

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    588
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    349
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would love to sit and chat, or even just sit! Sadly DD has other ideas so if I even remotely look like sitting down or moving away she yells for mummy is there such thing as a helicopter child? If so I definitely have one

  3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (11-09-2015),AdornedWithCats  (11-09-2015),CakeyMumma  (11-09-2015),Cardi  (12-09-2015),cheeeeesecake  (11-09-2015),FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (12-09-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-09-2015),Mokeybear  (12-09-2015),Wise Enough  (13-09-2015),yadot  (11-09-2015)

  4. #43
    AdornedWithCats's Avatar
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,082
    Thanks
    7,220
    Thanked
    3,623
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Because watching your kid go down the slide 50 times is boring!
    My ds is at an age where he has just learnt to go down the slide by himself. So for me it is very exciting! but who knows when he is older what I'll do.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

    NoteToSelf  (11-09-2015)

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,526
    Thanks
    844
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I guess stats freak me out a bit http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...6/injcat91.pdf
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)

    Ask me in a few years when we're on our 4th child ( but then I guess the older siblings look out for them)
    Interesting that most injuries were the 5-9 age group, mostly fractured arms from falling. IME teaching, injuries in that age group happen when equipment is being used incorrectly, eg, climbing on the roof of a play structure or hanging off the side.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015)

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,204
    Thanked
    3,904
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with @Sonja. I watch with a distant eye. Imo the more kids fall as kids and toddlers the better it is for them to learn about gravity and depth perception.

    I have fearless kids and I'm not going to give them anxiety by hovering over them. I've also never rung up daycare to ask about them. If there is a problem they will call me.

    Definitely not a helicopter parent. Not quite free range as I'm there but I let them sort out their kiddy problems by themselves.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    FearlessLeader  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),Moxy  (11-09-2015)

  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Supervision at the park

    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I guess stats freak me out a bit http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/pubs...6/injcat91.pdf
    And with an adventurous child ( who has fallen off the bed numerous times when trying to get down despite us. Telling her she'll fall) the situations I saw today made me uneasy. I guess it depends on the child and DD1 has no fear, no concept of height and no concept of strangers ( she's wandered off before and I've followed her - she couldn't see me, she just kept walking and chatting to randoms)

    Ask me in a few years when we're on our 4th child ( but then I guess the older siblings look out for them)
    Forgive me as I didn't read the whole report (very tired eyes tonight) but the fact that age group are having so many accidents is precisely why I want my kids to explore and take age appropriate risks from a young age. It seems that older kids are having accidents that they might have been able to avoid if they figured out their bodies' limitations or abilities from a younger age.

    This isn't specifically directed at you OP but it has got me wondering. I was parent helper at DS's kindy a few weeks ago and the kids were being made to hop skip jump and just run. I was shocked at how reluctant many of them were to try things and how low some of the kids muscle tone was. Our kindy no longer has monkey bars because they couldn't find a sufficiently safe spot for them. So many restrictions on kids taking risks and learning about their bodies.

    I'm not for one moment suggesting your parenting style will lead to that but it's definitely made me think. I now have my 10 year old doing Pilates and going back to gym as I feel there is so little opportunity for children to hurt themselves (safely).

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (11-09-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (11-09-2015),hoping28  (12-09-2015)

  12. #47
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,526
    Thanks
    5,445
    Thanked
    5,911
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Personally I had to be there as DD was quite an anxious child and scared of everything so wouldnt do anything unless I was there ...

    but eventually she learned to let go and explore and I let her be.

    Many of the other kids were very adventurous and we all used to sit and chat (DD would happily sit and play tea sets though so I sat and chatted half the time )

    I wouldnt pass judgement as the level of supervision needed is so dependent on individual children.

    Not saying that everyone is perfect and supervises there children as much as needed - they clearly dont. But that doesnt mean that every 2 yr old needs to be closely supervised either ... it just varies so much.

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked
    985
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Interesting that most injuries were the 5-9 age group, mostly fractured arms from falling. IME teaching, injuries in that age group happen when equipment is being used incorrectly, eg, climbing on the roof of a play structure or hanging off the side.
    Yes saw this today too, the kids would have been in this age group, which being a school day I thought strange but at least their parents were underneath and told them to be careful

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,256
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked
    985
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Forgive me as I didn't read the whole report (very tired eyes tonight) but the fact that age group are having so many accidents is precisely why I want my kids to explore and take age appropriate risks from a young age. It seems that older kids are having accidents that they might have been able to avoid if they figured out their bodies' limitations or abilities from a younger age.

    This isn't specifically directed at you OP but it has got me wondering. I was parent helper at DS's kindy a few weeks ago and the kids were being made to hop skip jump and just run. I was shocked at how reluctant many of them were to try things and how low some of the kids muscle tone was. Our kindy no longer has monkey bars because they couldn't find a sufficiently safe spot for them. So many restrictions on kids taking risks and learning about their bodies.

    I'm not for one moment suggesting your parenting style will lead to that but it's definitely made me think. I now have my 10 year old doing Pilates and going back to gym as I feel there is so little opportunity for children to hurt themselves (safely).
    Didn't take offence, I personally think kids need more outdoor time and good old fashion play, just didn't sit right an under 2 on very high, open equipment.
    Our DD is first in line to explore and try new things at daycare

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,959
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    I still call 4-5 times a day even though i trust the carers.
    Are you ok with this or is it something you want to Change? Are the carers ok with it?


 

Similar Threads

  1. How do you park like this???
    By Apple iPhart6 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 24-06-2015, 06:51
  2. Primary school supervision Q
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-03-2015, 06:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Hills Swimming
Swim with your friends and you will all get a 33% discount!* We have programs to suit all ages and abilities, with small classes held in our warm indoor 25 metre pool. Highly qualified teachers, and award winning programs. *conditions apply
featured supporter
LCF Fun Languages Australia
We offer foreign language lessons for children 2-12 yrs in French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian or German as after-school and preschool clubs or private language tuition. This is play-based, full immersion language learning with proven results!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!