+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I suspect (reading the posts that the posters who made the comments ) didn't realise it wasn't me who posted this; and they were attempting to create a sense that I had some anxiety issue and trouble letting go and that my daughter will have issues over my over protectiveness.
    Maxwell's Silver situation is completely different and understandable.
    This is what happens when people don't read properly and attempt to cyber bully ( or what ever you want to call picking on someone else's life)
    And before the keyboard warriors say I'm doing this I'm not, I just didn't know the social norm and have been provided reasonable facts and information as to why they do what they do ( still not comfortable with my own child as previously mentioned reasons). But I'm just going to let them do their thing at the park and I'll do mine
    I'm inclined to agree the a lot of posters on this thread seem to be implying that those of us who choose to closely supervise our children on play equipment are somehow stunting our kids ability to develop a sense of ability, limitations, confidence etc which I think is hogwash. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that seems to be the general theme.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (12-09-2015),maternidade  (12-09-2015),Sethysmum  (13-09-2015),TheGooch  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I suspect (reading the posts that the posters who made the comments ) didn't realise it wasn't me who posted this; and they were attempting to create a sense that I had some anxiety issue and trouble letting go and that my daughter will have issues over my over protectiveness.
    This is what happens when people don't read properly and attempt to cyber bully ( or what ever you want to call picking on someone else's life)
    And before the keyboard warriors say I'm doing this I'm not, I just didn't know the social norm and have been provided reasonable facts and information as to why they do what they do ( still not comfortable with my own child as previously mentioned reasons). But I'm just going to let them do their thing at the park and I'll do mine
    I truly have found this thread an eye opener. I had no idea that parents who worry about their kids breaking bones from falling from heights are anxious parents who are doing their kids a disservice.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),Mambo  (12-09-2015),TheGooch  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Your comment here is very interesting to me. I try to be as free range as possible. The reading I have done seems to suggest that letting kids have more freedom to explore allows them to learn their own abilities and limitations. I wonder if your child would learn appropriate fear and learn how to avoid falls etc if she was given space. Please dont take this the wrong way. You obviously know your child best. Sometimes we can do things with the intention of helping our kids but the more I think about it I wonder if it is actually hindering them. I have been reading a few things by Janet Lansbury lately that touches on this stuff so if you have time it might interest you to look her up. X
    In terms of my DS I totally agree with this. I learned when he was learning how to go down the slide that he was much more sensible and cautious if I just left him to it than when I help, any time he's gone down funny on a slide it is because I interfered (normally because another parent made me feel I had to). I stay close by but I don't think I hover. He's completely fearless and very tough, only cries if it's a horrible fall. The amount of times he's stumbled and tripped walking and another mother gasps incredibly loudly and runs to pick him up drives me insane. I'm usually a few feet away ready to hug him if he wants one but 9/10 times he dusts his hands off and keeps going, unless another mom interferes...😡

Watching me at the playground, depending on the moment, one mom probably thinks I hover and one mom probably thinks I'm paying no attention. I think we all need to cut each other some slack as this constant judging is pretty unfair. I'm completely head over heels in love with DS, I think he's ducking fantastic. But I'm with him 24/7 often going to the same few parks all week. If I want to enjoy my coffee and read the hub or chat with a friend for a few minutes while he explores please know I am doing it for both of our sanities. I guarantee he needs a break from me constantly in his space just as much as I need some adult convo.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),MrsSS  (12-09-2015),Renn  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Supervision at the park

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    I'm inclined to agree the a lot of posters on this thread seem to be implying that those of us who choose to closely supervise our children on play equipment are somehow stunting our kids ability to develop a sense of ability, limitations, confidence etc which I think is hogwash. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that seems to be the general theme.
    This topic came up recently in my Facebook. I can't remember which page, maybe Pinky McKay but what I noticed was that many of the parents who commented and said they "helicopter" were the people with only one child.

I've got 3 all 2 years apart, with 4 years between first and third and 2 years between first and second and second and third. Couldn't helicopter even if I wanted.

Just found the blog I read on Facebook.

https://www.scarymommy.com/helicopter-moms-ruining-it/
    Last edited by BigRedV; 12-09-2015 at 18:34.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond View Post
    I have a 4yr old ds and an 18mth old dd. I'm always close by watching and have at times even got on the equipment with them. Not because I'm seriously over the top protective but because I like it as much as they do sometimes!
    Secretly I want to play on the equipment too! When it's quiet both dh and I usually jump on the swings. 😂😆

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nah. Your suspicions as to what's going on with MSH are way off

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-09-2015),DizzyDaisy  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I truly have found this thread an eye opener. I had no idea that parents who worry about their kids breaking bones from falling from heights are anxious parents who are doing their kids a disservice.
    There has been quite a bit of research that has gone in to the effects of helicopter parenting on kids.

And FTR, I do worry about my kids breaking bones etc. I just keep it all inside and don't say anything so I don't put my concerns on to my kids lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Supervision at the park

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get that I'm new here. My opinion pretty much means zip. But I have followed this thread - and thought it was interesting and everyone is fairly respectful. I do have an issue with the term cyber bullying being used here though. Questioning why someone does something does not mean there is bullying.

As for me - I am a sorta hoverer? But my DS makes me follow him EVERYWHERE! I get that every parent and child is different but I think most posters have acknowledged that.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-09-2015),gizmoduckus  (13-09-2015),Mokeybear  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would LOVE to be the tea sipping book reading mum duck at the park, unfortunately DD is either a cling on or every activity needs to be witnessed and acknowledged by me.
    She is getting a bit better though.

Super jealous of the mums with kids that just bugger off and get on with it lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-09-2015)