+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Napping for 30 mins only - reassurance required!

DD who is 11 weeks old has reduced the length of ALL her day naps to between 20 and 40 minutes (mostly 25min). It's driving me nuts. I've tried everything to get her to sleep longer :

Bassinet, pram, carrier, car, in my lap - short naps only.

Lengthening or shortening awake time doesn't matter. Tried from 45mins to 90mins and everything in between still only a short nap.

Tried feeding to sleep, tried resettling after she wakes, tried waiting to see if she will self settle back to sleep (without letting her get hysterical). No she won't go back to sleep!

Am I missing anything? I can settle her to sleep pretty easily: I change nappy, swaddle, hold for a bit then put her down and pat or give her dummy and use white noise. This usually takes about 10mins.

After her bath in the evening she has a nice long feed then DH settles her and she'll sleep for 4-6 hrs (yay) no probs and over night she is fine just her day naps. Yesterday she had 5 short naps!! Today we are already up to 4 because she woke up early.

Is this a developmental thing she's going thru? Please tell me she will change soon we are both tired and cranky by the end of the day

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi akakura, only 11wks, that sounds fine and quite normal. enough wet nappies, and going to sleep quite contented, doesn't seem to be anything wrong to me. I understand a sleep cycle is only about 40 mins, so waking after a little nap is ok. I might suggest offering a feed when she wakes, just to see if she is hungry? or perhaps trying for a longer feed through the day?? I would try to not let it worry you, you are having a good sleep session at night, so that is a big plus. marie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

akakura  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @akakura my DS day sleeps were between 20-25 minutes from about 8(? Can't remember exactly) weeks until 5 months. I too tried every trick in the book and it drove me absolutely completely mad.

To cut a long story short, there was really nothing that I could do. Luckily he just lengthened his day sleep randomly one day to about an hour, then progressively got to 2 hours and so forth. Has been a gem of a sleeper ever since. It was not my doing.

Totally try all the suggestions but if they don't work, it's probably better for your own mental health and sanity just to accept that's what he's doing right now and he will lengthen those sleeps when he is ready. And get plenty of help from family/friends as you need your rest too. I totally understand how hard it is when their naps are so short you can't get a thing done! And they get so damned overtired and cranky!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

akakura  (12-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So normal and also so annoying you can try resettling her after the 30 mins, using the same techniques you used to put him to sleep. It might work, it might not, some babies seem to respond to it and some don't. Maybe give it a go for 10 or so mins then if it hasn't worked get her up and try again another time?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

akakura  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    At 11 weeks it could be a variety of things. Some ideas:
    - check room temp and bedding. Catnapping can be a sign of cold.
    - ensure the sleep environment is the same when bub falls asleep ad throughout bubs sleep. If there is music/patting/rocking bub to sleep... And that's gone 20 minutes later then bub could sense that, think "wtf" and wake

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

akakura  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD 1 was a cat napper. Drove me insane and then she just started sleeping, not sure what we did different. The doctors weren't concerned as she was growing fine and hitting ( exceeding) her milestones

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

akakura  (12-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your responses. I figured it was just my luck that she likes short naps during the day!

@suppergranny I usually feed her after her nap

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh press reply before I finished...

I tried moving her feed to just before her sleep but that didn't change anything. She is quite a spewy baby so I need to keep her upright after her feeds.
    @sunnygirl79 oh gosh I hope I don't have to wait til 5 months for longer naps 😁

DH seems to have better luck than me at resettling her when she wakes from a short nap and also she will sleep longer in the carrier when he is wearing her (my boobs get in the way maybe?). But of course DH isn't around all the time...

Room temp is around 18-20 and the white noise stays on the whole sleep.

She is a big bub feeding and growing and generally content. I think I will just have to put up with it and be grateful she doesn't howl down the house like DS did with his colic 😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try feed play feed sleep.... And wait till they are down to 2 naps a day. That's when my girls stopped cat napping and started sleeping 2-3hrs

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bubs is 10 weeks and does the same. I was told its a security thing as they havent learnt how to put themselves back to sleep yet. In time this security issue lessons and they learn to wake and put themselves back to sleep. My first bubs was the same and he stopped doing it at around 4.5 months so i feel your pain. My second also hates being wrapped but has a bad startle reflex so we are also dealing with that 😦