+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting your toddler to sleep alone

I am sleeping with my 22m tot in his room, on foam mattress
    he was sick on/off all the time since Feb and we have thrown out the thought of training him. Now since he has recovered i am thinking of training him again to sleep by himself
    can anyone share how to train toddlers to sleep by themselves?
    last few days i tried to just let him cry it out but after 10mins of screaming i went in to give him milk, he drank and then fell asleep within 5mins. He will scream again in 1 hr or so if i am not in the room. I think if i just let him scream he probably can go on for 1 hr of continuous screaming, as he was already doing 30-45mins when he was much younger
    I know this is a difficult topic, and different for each baby or toddler, so i guess i just want to listen how you have tackle this topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would start with the "i just have to check on xxxx, I'll be back in a minute" go out and the come back in 2 min. Then lay with him and sleep with him. Slowly increase the time before you come back and eventually wean him into going to sleep on his own. Then slowly you can wean off you being there.

My 3.5 year old sometimes calls out to me in the night, I usually lay with him for a bit and then I tell him I have to go to the toilet and he goes back to sleep while I sneak back to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by springrose View Post
    I am sleeping with my 22m tot in his room, on foam mattress
    he was sick on/off all the time since Feb and we have thrown out the thought of training him. Now since he has recovered i am thinking of training him again to sleep by himself
    can anyone share how to train toddlers to sleep by themselves?
    last few days i tried to just let him cry it out but after 10mins of screaming i went in to give him milk, he drank and then fell asleep within 5mins. He will scream again in 1 hr or so if i am not in the room. I think if i just let him scream he probably can go on for 1 hr of continuous screaming, as he was already doing 30-45mins when he was much younger
    I know this is a difficult topic, and different for each baby or toddler, so i guess i just want to listen how you have tackle this topic
    This is exactly my situation! I have a 22 month old DS also and I have been sleeping in his big bed (we put him straight into a QB from his cot a few months ago... At least it's comfy (besides the kicking & wriggling etc!). He is just recovering from a nasty cough cold now and I am keen to get back to my own bed. I am thinking about trying the super nanny's version of the gradual retreat. You have a 'sleepy cushion' and tell LO all about how you will sit on the sleepy cushion while he goes to sleep. Then it's a matter of every few nights moving the cushion further away until your out the door. I figure I will start with it actually up on the bed and I will let him hold hands or pat him for the first few nights..... ( this will be hard enough as he is used to me laying down and cuddling to sleep) I'm not sure if tonight is the night or not... I think I might pick a cushion and start talking about it tonight but actually begin tomorrow night if the cold seems to be resolved. I know he will get upset and actually ask for cuddles and tell me to lie down etc. but I'm not sure how persistent and upset he will get.
    Before this nasty cold I tried the "I've just got to go fold some washing..." Sort of thing and I found that he woke himself up more waiting for me to come back. I can make quick trips out of the room with out him sitting up & getting upset but that is literally to get his water bottle or something else like that.
    I know that I probably just need to make a plan and stick it out, but I find it harder now that he can talk to me and 'negotiate'. But I am so ready to get more sleep... I am a light sleeper and co sleeping has never worked for us. On one hand I do love it as seeing them sleeping and snuggling is so lovely, but it is wearing me out and keeping me away from my husband.
    Good luck to you too! I would love to hear how you go and what you try. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing. I decided to sleep apart, him in cot and me on foam mattress for 2 weeks. its been 2 days so far and its going ok. first night was tough though, he wanted to come out the bed and I threaten to wack him if he does. I also threaten to leave him by himself if he continues to cry. in the end he just sob and slept, waking up again few times at night to make sure I was there

Day 2 he took a shorter time, less crying. he also only woke up once to check on me. in the morning he just sat quietly in the cot till I woke up and came to pick him out. I remembered to praise him for his bravery.
    We also had night lights and continuous soft lullaby all night. Being a light sleeper i thought i would be annoyed by the lullaby but I actually managed to sleep through it. If you can't I advise wearing ear plugs.

Hope to hear your story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap84 View Post
    This is exactly my situation! I have a 22 month old DS also and I have been sleeping in his big bed (we put him straight into a QB from his cot a few months ago... At least it's comfy (besides the kicking & wriggling etc!). He is just recovering from a nasty cough cold now and I am keen to get back to my own bed. I am thinking about trying the super nanny's version of the gradual retreat. You have a 'sleepy cushion' and tell LO all about how you will sit on the sleepy cushion while he goes to sleep. Then it's a matter of every few nights moving the cushion further away until your out the door. I figure I will start with it actually up on the bed and I will let him hold hands or pat him for the first few nights..... ( this will be hard enough as he is used to me laying down and cuddling to sleep) I'm not sure if tonight is the night or not... I think I might pick a cushion and start talking about it tonight but actually begin tomorrow night if the cold seems to be resolved. I know he will get upset and actually ask for cuddles and tell me to lie down etc. but I'm not sure how persistent and upset he will get.
    Before this nasty cold I tried the "I've just got to go fold some washing..." Sort of thing and I found that he woke himself up more waiting for me to come back. I can make quick trips out of the room with out him sitting up & getting upset but that is literally to get his water bottle or something else like that.
    I know that I probably just need to make a plan and stick it out, but I find it harder now that he can talk to me and 'negotiate'. But I am so ready to get more sleep... I am a light sleeper and co sleeping has never worked for us. On one hand I do love it as seeing them sleeping and snuggling is so lovely, but it is wearing me out and keeping me away from my husband.
    Good luck to you too! I would love to hear how you go and what you try. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of us sick. Training have to cancel

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope your feeling better. We have both been sick too. DS got better and then I got it. His sleeping has improved since he has been well again, but there's definitely room for more improvement! I haven't really made any big changes as yet but we actually kind of had a breakthrough though accidentally the other night. My boys nappy leaked in the night and so I had to change his Pj's and everything, while I had his shirt off I wrapped him in his soft blanket to keep him warm. He loved it! it must have felt nice on his skin, he didn't want to put his new pjs on! I managed to get him in short sleeves and he wrapped his his arms in his blanket and went back to sleep with out me cuddling him. He has been putting his arms up my sleeves or in the neck of my shirt or something as he went to sleep for a while now and I was wondering how to 'gradually retreat' when he was in my clothes! Anyway, I hope your both feeling better and getting plenty of rest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How'd you go springrose? What worked for you?
    We have been doing pretty well and have had a few nights where DS. Has slept right through. Other times it seems like a genuine need like he's gotten out of his blankets and is cold or has had a nightmare. I still cuddle him till he is asleep - sometime he stirs as I'm leaving and mutters something like 'mummy come back' not a request more of a statement. I think what worked for us was just lots of talking about where I sleep and where he sleeps and how we both have to have good big sleeps so we can have fun the next day etc etc. I think before he thought I slept in his bed and so of course when he stirred in the night he was looking for me and when I wasn't there he didn't know where I was. He now knows not to expect me to be there but if he needs me I will come back. That's my take on it, it's working for us anyway and I do feel more rested.... Now just to work out how the whole bedtime routine will work with a newborn in about 11 weeks.... Time will tell!! :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cap84 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-10-2015)