+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd keep feeding on demand. You are doing brilliantly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-09-2015),ScubaGal  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was only BF for one month due to issues I had BF'ing, so a bit of a different situation, but he was also quite big for his age and hungry. I did actually start solids early, just prior to 4 months. Just really small amounts to start but was pretty much up to meals by 6 months. He slept so much better having the additional food and I am yet to find a food he won't eat nor has he had problems with allergies etc.
    Not saying this is def what you should do but starting solids early worked really well for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your baby is hungry rather than just comfort feeding and wants feeding that often I think it would seem mean to try and stretch out his feeds. I know what you mean about health professionals advice though. Pretty much every health professional I've seen recently has told me to stretch out feeds for one reason or another. Some of the reasons make sense (initially my baby was taking short frequent feeds and getting very gassy and uncomfortable filling up on foremilk) but others I'm not so sure about. For example I had a lady visiting from tresillian to help with settling and she said the key to better sleeping is stretching out feeds to 2-3 hourly (which you're doing). Not entirely sure how this helps with sleeping, I'm guessing it's just making sure they are hungry enough to take a full feed.
    I think the key is knowing your own baby and it's needs. I've never had hungry babies and so it's been easy for me to stretch out feeds and just offer dummy or get baby to take a nap when he gets grumpy rather than feeding as I know they were not crying out of hunger. (They both gained weight well so I wasn't starving them by withholding feeds!) However I know many babies who are feeding monsters and I'm sure those techniques would not work for them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS wasn't big but fed 2 hourly. Drive me crazy but it's just what he needed. I waited until close to 6 months until I introduced solids and he continued to be a huge eater with those but reduced BF massively.

My friend had a very large girl that sounds similar to your son. Really big for her age, purely BF on demand. She is now almost 2 (just on 1 BF a day and meals now), has completely slimmed down although tall. Both parents are tall larger people.

I say stick to your guns. I honestly believe you can't over feed a baby exclusively breastfed. Once you're ready to start solids you will most likely find he reduces his BF so if you're happy to keep going then do it! You obviously have fantastic nutritious breast milk! There is nothing wrong with being a bigger, chubbier baby.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    He is likely big because that's just who he is/his genetics. My ds was a big bub too and still is at 19 months. He has been consistent in growth since birth. He also fed a lot (and still loves his bm). I think he just takes after his Dad!

Eta. My ds was 8kg at 4 months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Isn't it funny how no matter what you do there will be a health professional to tell you that you are doing it wrong.

I feel like this is the one thing that doesn't need to be medicalised or over-analysed, the baby is hungry; I feed the baby. I think I'll just keep going and ignore my GP, MIL and others on that subject unless I find there's an actual problem.
    -Do what feels right.
    Ps I bet mil is saying that as it means she doesn't get cuddles whilst you're feeding and is jealous. I know my mum gets jealous ( and the fact she couldn't BF)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Isn't it funny how no matter what you do there will be a health professional to tell you that you are doing it wrong.

I feel like this is the one thing that doesn't need to be medicalised or over-analysed, the baby is hungry; I feed the baby. I think I'll just keep going and ignore my GP, MIL and others on that subject unless I find there's an actual problem.
    Good on you. This is exactly what you should do xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just remember that a GP is not a breast feeding or lactation consultant!

My 1st was huge. At 4, he still is! Was always 90th percentile for height. You can't over feed a breastfed baby so as long as you are happy, keep on boobin! Good work mumma x

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post: