+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question When to worry about fluid intake

DS (almost 10 months) is currently teething and fairly stuffy because of a cold. I know that he's likely to eat and drink less while he's in pain and breathing is more difficult, but I'm a bit concerned he is becoming dehydrated. He's only really had 3 wet nappies today, and they weren't as wet as usual. He also just peed while I was changing a dirty nappy, and it was quite yellow. He's quite alert and as happy as he can be while so uncomfortable.

Should I start worrying about him becoming dehydrated? And any suggestions on what I should do aside from offering the b00b more often? I know I may be worryingunnecessarily, but I know babies can go downhill quickly, and I'm currently having issues with anxiety.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Homemade icy pole with diluted juice? Or a splash of juice in his water? I'm usually pretty anti-juice but when I worry about hydration I give a little!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (10-09-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Watermelon? A wet cloth or washer to suck on?

Do you have a nasal aspirator? Opening up his nose might help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Home made icy poles starting to freeze. I put a splash of juice in his water, but it didn't make much difference. He took more when DH took over. Watermelon is a great idea! He's been chomping on cold wet washers, so at least he's getting some. He fell asleep while he was having a breastfeed after his bath... so I just let him keep going until my arm went numb. I think he had a half hour feed. At least he got some fluids.

We have an aspirator, but he won't let me use it. I'm hard pressed getting to wipe his runny nose. I wish he could understand that it would make him more comfortable.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you take him into a hot, steamy bathroom it might help it flow a bit more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by the DR to look in their mouth - if their tongue/ mouth is looking moist, with a bit of 'wet' looking saliva, they should be ok. If they are getting dehydrated, their mouth will be dry. I was also shown how to pinch their skin & look to see if it bounces back or stays in the 'pinch' shape. If you are feeling anxious, I always find Health Direct (1800 022 222) very reassuring, & you can call them any time of day or night.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I was told by the DR to look in their mouth - if their tongue/ mouth is looking moist, with a bit of 'wet' looking saliva, they should be ok. If they are getting dehydrated, their mouth will be dry. I was also shown how to pinch their skin & look to see if it bounces back or stays in the 'pinch' shape. If you are feeling anxious, I always find Health Direct (1800 022 222) very reassuring, & you can call them any time of day or night.
    Thank you, that's really helpful to assess where he is at!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really hard to measure when breastfeeding but if he's having at least half his normal fluid intake he should be ok. Definitely keep an eye on nappies. My DS (13mo) had a nasty illness recently and spent a few nights in hospital, when he was dehydrated his nappies were completely dry (they couldn't even get any urine out of his bladder with a catheter after a whole day on a drip!).

If you're really worried, do a trial of fluids - at that age it'll probably be 5ml of fluid (in hospital they would give you hydrolyte) every 5 minutes. As long as he's not vomiting or having runny stools it should keep him hydrated.

Hope he feels better soon!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hydrolyte if you're worried - you can get it as iceblocks if you think bub would like them. A vaporiser for the bedroom might help with the blocked nose too. That aspirator is so hard to use, isn't it?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor little fella.
    Are his eyes sunken in? That's a good indicator. Also being lethargic and a sunken fontanel. Hope he feels better soon!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MissSparkles For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (11-09-2015)