+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The first class you talk about sounds completely inappropriate to me.
    The second does not, but that's just to me.

I would be chatting to her regular teacher, and the principal (not to dismiss the teacher but because I doubt it was the teacher who hired the outsider).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Something sounds a little "off" to me. I say this as someone who develops safety programs for teachers and schools for a specific type of risk. Generally my preference is for the teacher, as the trusted person, usually to lead the session with possibly another subject matter expert supporting with very basic content.

I would have questions about:

- Why is it all being taught together as a package; it's potentially very overwhelming to teach everything in one hit
    - who are the "experts" coming in, are they supervised? Are they cleared and trained/qualified to work with children?
    - what is the actual package, is it owned/managed by a private or government entity? (There are some private firms out there that do this, they actually charge the schools but the content and quality is often questionable and not tested or proven to actually 'work')
    - how and where is it aligned to the curriculum?
    - can you get a copy of the handbook/teaching notes/lesson plans?

Hope your DD is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is the only information we got. Its being run over 2 weeks (this week and next week). 1441875765640.jpg

Eta- actually there was an information night the other night however it wasnt advertised. @HopefulK its the program that Daniel Morcombe's parents created, in conjunction with qld government
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 10-09-2015 at 19:04.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Poor dd1, she hasnt mentioned anything about these classes for a few days... but last night she came in to me during the night hysterical after having a nightmare someone was trying to break in and kill us. She ended up sleeping on the floor beside me because she was too scared to sleep in her room.

I am still waiting for the teacher to get back to me. After talking with dd1 a bit, I worked out her usualy teacher is in fact the one who does these lessons, although still not sure who the name was she mentioned at the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Your poor DD! I know the programme is meant to be helpful and I can see why Daniels parents have started it, but it is soooo in appropriate to scare kids like that when they are so young.

I hope you get a prompt response from the teacher.

Have you spoken to any other parents who may feel the same about the programme?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Your poor DD! I know the programme is meant to be helpful and I can see why Daniels parents have started it, but it is soooo in appropriate to scare kids like that when they are so young.

I hope you get a prompt response from the teacher.

Have you spoken to any other parents who may feel the same about the programme?
    No I haven't spoken to other parents. I don't get a chance as I don't go in to pick her up or drop her off so don't see other parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My concern is that the program - while well intentioned - is poorly targeted to very young children covering frightening material/concepts. There is a body of evidence that says children should be treated extremely carefully when it comes to topics dealing with fear, harm, death, threat to life, etc. Its an extremely fine line and ultimately any program of this nature should be focused on empowerment of the child and providing them with more tools, certainty, and control over their world.

I'm sorry but in this case if have to say either the program has been poorly thought out/designed, or the teacher hasn't quite got the skills to teach it. Or possibly both.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    My concern is that the program - while well intentioned - is poorly targeted to very young children covering frightening material/concepts. There is a body of evidence that says children should be treated extremely carefully when it comes to topics dealing with fear, harm, death, threat to life, etc. Its an extremely fine line and ultimately any program of this nature should be focused on empowerment of the child and providing them with more tools, certainty, and control over their world.

I'm sorry but in this case if have to say either the program has been poorly thought out/designed, or the teacher hasn't quite got the skills to teach it. Or possibly both.
    I agree with you. Today they spoke about online safety and phone safety- twitter, fb etc. This is a class taught to prep-year 2!!! I am pretty ****ed off at what has been taught actually. Its totally not age appropriate at all. Its a shame because it is the program the Morcombe's developed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (17-09-2015)