+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Scared after Child Safety Curriculum

So dd1's school has begun the Child Safety Curriculum this week. Last night, dd1 woke up hysterical due to some of the content that was discussed. It took a good hour for her to calm down. We had a big chat about it and I explained its not meant to scare her (or anyone else), it helps teach them how important it is to speak up if you don't feel safe or feel uncomfortable in a situation and learn who to speak to etc.

I know its such an incredibly important message, and I fully support it, however seeing how much some of the content affected dd1, I am not sure if I should let the teacher know. Dd1 is rarely affected by this sort of thing, she is a tough nut and we have always been open about things like this if she sees something on the news and always taught her stranger danger and there are bad people in the world and how important it is for her to tell me or dh or someone she trusts if she feels something isn't right and all that, so to see her so worked up about it after a lesson at school was really rattling to say the least.

Dh suggested maybe pulling her out of the lesson but I dont think thats an option and even if it was, I am not sure I agree. I think its important they learn this stuff, however I dont think it should leave them with nightmares or being terrified of someone breaking into their house and killing them (as was discussed at school according to dd1- they were also told about Daniel Morcombe's killer).

Now normally I am the type of person to tell my kids its important they learn this stuff. However, some of what dd1 told me they were told and discussed, it sounds pretty full on for 7/8 year olds. If she is going to come home distressed after the lesson, I dont think it is benefitting her a great deal. Fwiw, im not usually one of those "oh my poor baby got upset at school, heads will roll" type parents. In fact 99% of the time I am the opposite, I will usually make a point of using it as a learning experience for my kids and tell the to toughen up (not so brashly obviously!). But this, something is just not sitting right, knowing my dd1 and knowing how much it takes to really rattle her normally.

Im not sure the point of this post actually. I guess I am just unsure where to go from here, if I say anything to the teacher or not....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Scared after Child Safety Curriculum

Wow! They're teaching 7/8 year olds about people breaking into their houses and kidnapping or killing them!!!?

I agree with the premise of the lessons but that's definitely not age appropriate at all!! It's not like showing teenagers videos of people being severely injured or killed in car accidents from hoon or irresponsible driving in order to have the shock factor to scare them into driving safely.

I'd say if your DD isn't usually rattled there would be more sensitive kids who would have been even more traumatised.

I wouldn't pull her out of the lessons but I would definitely be talking to the teacher or principal and addressing those concerns, I'm sure you won't be the only parent to complain.

What did they actually say about Daniel Morcombe?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 10-09-2015 at 10:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Wow! They're teaching 7/8 year olds about people breaking into their houses and kidnapping or killing them!!!?

I agree with the premise of the lessons but that's definitely not age appropriate at all!! It's not like showing teenagers videos of people being severely injured or killed in car accidents from hoon or irresponsible driving in order to have the shock factor to scare them into driving safely.

I'd say if your DD isn't usually rattled there would be more sensitive kids who would have been even more traumatised.

I wouldn't pull her out of the lessons but I would definitely be talking to the teacher or principal and addressing those concerns, I'm sure you won't be the only parent to complain.

What did they actually say about Daniel Morcombe?
    From how my dd1 explained it, yes. I couldnt get a straight answer out of ger regarding who actually mentioned the "killing" bit, but it was definitely the teacher who spoke about breaking in, then whether one of the other kids raised the whole killing thing I am not sure, but the teacher went along with it anyway and it was talked about.

Regarding other kids, dd1 told me at least 1 other was crying during the lesson, so it wasn't just her (dd1 did cry and get upset during the lesson as well). The teacher apparently told the class her family's plan for if someone breaks in and tries to hurt them. Dd1 kept saying she is scared someone is going to break in through her window (which she has never even mentioned before).

She wouldn't go into exactly what was said about Daniel Morcombe, except that he was badly hurt and killed and one of the kids said something about his killer not being in jail, or not being in jail very long. I am hoping the teacher corrected them, but judging from dd1's reaction last night talking about it I am guessing not. We have spoken about Daniel Morcombe before, but just the very basic story- from what dd1 said they went into a bit more detail during this lesson.

I agree it is such an important topic however it doesn't seem to be being taught age appropriately in some ways. We were given a very basic 'overview', which was 1 sheet listing topics discussed and a sample of some activities, but its nothing like dd1 experienced.

Even if she was over reacting a bit, its obvious she was upset by the content as was another child (if not more), surely they need to somehow reassure them at the time? Which doesnt appear to have happened, at least not very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a teacher, the way the lesson has been taught is TOTALLY unacceptable IMO. Yep,child protection is really important - in an age appropriate way. There is no reason the kids need to know about Daniel Marcombe or people breaking in. That will do nothing but make them fearful. I would be really upset if my DD had this at school,she can be naturally quite fearful without putting more things in her head. Definitely talk to the teacher.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I will definitely speak with the teacher. I just dont know how to bring it up without sounding like one of those overprotective mums?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I will definitely speak with the teacher. I just dont know how to bring it up without sounding like one of those overprotective mums?
    As long as you don't go in with guns blazing, which I can already sense your tone that you won't, just tell her honestly that your DD woke up with nightmares, has been quite fearful, & you feel that the curriculum or the way it is being taught is not age appropriate. I would perhaps ask for a copy of what was being taught. I would also chat to other parents too - if a few parents all go in &say the same thing,it will come across more as an issue amongst all the kids &not just yours. If I were teaching something that upset the kids,as long as the parent didnt come in angry &have a big go at me,I would be really open to feedback myself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She had another lesson today, this time about "private parts". They were shown pictures (drawings) of how boys and girls bodies grow and develop as they get older, from a child to an adult. It was handled a lot better, if they felt uncomfortable they were allowed to turn around and face the back of the room which dd1 did.

I didnt realise its not their normal teacher who teaches the lesson, its someone else, I dont recognise the name so not sure if its someone from outside the school or another staff member. I will speak to her usual teacher though and let her know what happened yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    She had another lesson today, this time about "private parts". They were shown pictures (drawings) of how boys and girls bodies grow and develop as they get older, from a child to an adult. It was handled a lot better, if they felt uncomfortable they were allowed to turn around and face the back of the room which dd1 did.

I didnt realise its not their normal teacher who teaches the lesson, its someone else, I dont recognise the name so not sure if its someone from outside the school or another staff member. I will speak to her usual teacher though and let her know what happened yesterday.
    That would concern me too. Both the content and that it's an outsider. What are their qualifications? None of it sounds age appropriate at all to me.

A child of 7 or 8 might not know of they feel uncomfortable and want to face away.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    That would concern me too. Both the content and that it's an outsider. What are their qualifications? None of it sounds age appropriate at all to me.

A child of 7 or 8 might not know of they feel uncomfortable and want to face away.
    To be honest, I feel uncomfortable about it all too, but I don't know what I can do, its part of the curriculum and I do understand they are trying to teach an important message. From everything dd1 has told me, I wish we were given a choice as to whether or not they attended, at least at this age.

As for the lesson teacher, I am going to quizz dd1 more about it tonight- whether its another staff member at the school or if its an outsider.

As I have said, I understand and appreciate what they are trying to do... the way its being taught to this age group however is leaving me feeling very uncomfortable. It must be rather confronting for the kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds a little over the top in my opinion. Either the way it is taught or the teacher is not getting her message across in an age appropriate way.

Our school starts similar lessons in year 4 (and then 5 and 6) and before the lessons commence there is a parent information evening. The parents are told what the content is for each year group. We have to sign a consent form and it is optional.

They do child safety and also development and sex ed. Each year gets a little more involved. It is run by a lady from outside the school but she is a teacher and goes around many schools in the area teaching these classes.

Daniel Morcombe was not mentioned in our classes at all, but is mentioned on the Day for Daniel.

I would be concerned with the way the content is being taught and I would pull my child out until these concerns were addressed.

Last year my DD got upset as an example that was given was very close to a traumatic experience she went through in previous years I was right on top of that and approached the school and said if that example was used again could they please have a disclaimer that when a child says *no* it should always be respected.

I hope your DD is okay

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-09-2015)