+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Okay RELAX!!!

I get DSP and when I was working I found reporting sooo difficult because of the hours you are allowed to work etc. I always just did a tax return and lodged it with Centrelink let them do the rest. Hope that makes sense. They can take out debts etc from family tax or whatever!

Remember to always do a tax return every 5 years Anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    So going in to report it don't they have to send your paperwork and things off somewhere for some other department to work out? I've heard people can be waiting for months to even know what their debt owing is and whether they are to be investigated for fraud...So I'm not sure they'll be able to tell me that on the day I go in, so it will be so hard to keep waiting not knowing for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't panic. Hubby and I are farmers and we underestimated last year. When Centrelink got our tax docents from the ATO they sent me out a letter and a bill. I paid in one hit but you can negotiate a payment plan. Underestimating by 8.5k won't land you in jail, they won't even take you to court unless you don't pay the debt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you 8.5k is the amount I didn't report rather under-estimated...I think I'll owe something like maybe a third or a bit over than a third of that?? Very hard to estimate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysilver View Post
    Thank you 8.5k is the amount I didn't report rather under-estimated...I think I'll owe something like maybe a third or a bit over than a third of that?? Very hard to estimate.
    I'd say it would be just over a third, which isn't bad at all. Let us know how you go

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i was partnered with my ex I *thought* we were declaring income correctly based on info he had given me, 2 years later I cop a 'you have a debt for incorrectly declaring income'
    3 k debt, no they didnt prosecute me, it'd cost more than 3-8 k in court fees I imagine,
    they will link up payment amount with tax return and go from there but it's best to go in and see them, have the amount you've recieved and explain the situation, theyre not the big bad wolf looking to prosecute people

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really so appreciate all your reassurance everyone. Thank you so much. I am feeling very panicky but I have also managed to get a quick chat with a couple of lawyers on the phone this morning who have also said although they can't guarantee anything, they think it is unlikely I'd be taken for prosecution because the fact that I will go in and let them know what's happened is hugely in my favour.
    I'm still really scared though. I was so happy about this coming baby and now, because I'm going to be probably waiting for possibly months to even get my letter advising of the debt I owe and everything, and then possibly up to 18 months before I'd even know if I'm to be taken for prosecution, I feel like I've ruined this otherwise beautiful and long awaited time of my life because I'll have this anxiety hanging over me. This baby took three years to come to be. It's just devastating.
    Only thing I'm certain of right now is that I have no real choice but to front up and explain and hope they don't throw the book at me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    You really are torturing yourself over this, please go in as soon as possible so you can deal with it, move on and enjoy your bub. I know it's hard to let go of that worst case scenario in your mind, but honestly you will feel so much better when it's all done.
    C'link aren't looking to drag ppl like you through the courts, they want repeat offenders who pocket big amounts deceptively - that isn't you, you just made a mistake.
    You don't deserve to have this overshadowing your wonderful pregnancy after all you've been through.
    You are going to be fine!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysilver View Post
    I really so appreciate all your reassurance everyone. Thank you so much. I am feeling very panicky but I have also managed to get a quick chat with a couple of lawyers on the phone this morning who have also said although they can't guarantee anything, they think it is unlikely I'd be taken for prosecution because the fact that I will go in and let them know what's happened is hugely in my favour.
    I'm still really scared though. I was so happy about this coming baby and now, because I'm going to be probably waiting for possibly months to even get my letter advising of the debt I owe and everything, and then possibly up to 18 months before I'd even know if I'm to be taken for prosecution, I feel like I've ruined this otherwise beautiful and long awaited time of my life because I'll have this anxiety hanging over me. This baby took three years to come to be. It's just devastating.
    Only thing I'm certain of right now is that I have no real choice but to front up and explain and hope they don't throw the book at me...
    Please just call them. You are prolonging your anxiety. Explain your situation, it's likely you'll only have a debt & have to pay it back. You wouldn't dob yourself in if you were trying to defraud them.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-09-2015),Skysilver  (11-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree. Stop posting here and calling lawyers and just call C'link!

We underestimated one year too and it certainly didn't take months for them to let us know as you were saying your last post. I think we got the letter about 6 weeks after we did our tax.

I would be surprised if it took more than a few weeks for them to sort it once you contact them. Then you will know what money you need to repay and can move on.

So stop stressing, take a deep breath and either go in or call them TODAY to get it sorted. Other wise you will just fret all weekend and the longer you put it off, the harder it will be to pick up that phone.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-09-2015),Skysilver  (11-09-2015)