+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are waaaaaay over thinking this and stressing for no reason. People accidentally under estimate their income all the time... It's really not a big deal. Just tell them the amount you earnt over what you have told them you earnt, and they will balance it out and tell you what you owe them, then they will reduce your fortnightly payments to cover it. Stress less xox

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (11-09-2015),Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You are not a criminal..... You just underestimated your income. Just tell them, you are going to be fine, I swear.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (11-09-2015),Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't really think it's a massive thing at all, people make mistakes, centrelink should understand that, they will work out with you how much you owe and organise a payment plan.

I don't think they can look at your bank accounts, only if they have a proper reason to, you usually have to bring in your bank statements, they don't go searching themselves. If you can go back and find how much you were paid, let them know, try not to cause yourself to much stress, it will be fixed quite easily.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Honestly I've known acquaintances who have purposely committed Centrelink fraud, have been caught end then had to repay the money without prosecution.

You have made a mistake, a lot of people accidentally underestimate their income and then just pay back what they owe once they realise, think of how many people are on centrelink, it's quite common.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, that's reassuring. So it was accidental? Did they have any excuse to offer that is better than mine like financial hardship or unstable employment etc? Did they actually report themselves and any idea of the $$$ debt involved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    But the thing is isn't there a big difference between under-estimating and under-reporting? I didn't estimate any income from this job, I just didn't report it because of overlooking it completely and then not being sure how to go back and correct it. At any time I should have easily been able to call them
    That is definitely true that I'm NOT a criminal. Thank you for that. I'm a good person, a huge perfectionist, a great friend. But I feel like a criminal now and C'Link don't know me from a bar of soap...only what I did...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's really nothing else you can do besides print off your bank statements and invoices and take it in to Centrelink and explain. In person might be easier than on the phone. They should set you up with a payment plan for re-paying the debt. I doubt there would be any prosecution for a relatively small amount and especially if you have brought your error to their attention.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-09-2015),Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They won't think you're a criminal because obviously you aren't. Sounds like your jobs have varying amounts of income paid at different times, it's sounds confusing and it wouldn't be hard at all to over look especially when it comes to reporting time frames.

Just explain that, you will honestly be fine.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (15-09-2015),Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly big hugs! I know how horrible that anxious feeling is.

At the end of the day the best thing you can do is be up front with centrelink and explain the situation. And hopefully they will just work out a payment plan for you to repay yhe outstanding money.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay RELAX!!!

I get DSP and when I was working I found reporting sooo difficult because of the hours you are allowed to work etc. I always just did a tax return and lodged it with Centrelink let them do the rest. Hope that makes sense. They can take out debts etc from family tax or whatever!

Remember to always do a tax return every 5 years Anyway

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (10-09-2015)