+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Daycare: How Does It All Work???

Hi, I am currently a mostly SAHM (I do 4-8 hours of casual work each week). But we are now in a position where I will need to start looking for a job with more hours. I don't really want to put my son in daycare yet but I might not have a choice. So, I'm just wondering about how it works.

If I was to get a job with a rotating roster (different days each week) is it possible to get my son in daycare on a 'casual' basis? Like if I'm working different hours every week can I change his daycare days to suit that? Or do I have to enroll him on set days? There's no point in having him in daycare on days I'm not working so I wouldn't want to have him in on set days and then not get offered a shift that day IYKWIM. Also, should I be trying to get him in now in case there is a long wait? What happens if we get offered a place and I'm still not working? Do I have to forfeit that place anyway?

Also, if there is such a thing as 'casual' daycare, can I get anything back from centrelink for that? I don't know how any of that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey Darcy,

Our daycare has set days and you can only really change them in case of an emergency, not on a weekly basis to suit work rosters. It might be worth while calling around and seeing if any centres can accommodate for what you're after.

As for centrelink, I'm pretty sure the rebate goes on hours not on what days your children are enrolled - so you'd get the rebate regardless.

I'm no expert so I wouldn't take everything I'm saying as gospel.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would send him either way (and I know that sucks but) it would confuse him otherwise.

Plus he might actually like it!! I'm not sure on your hours but our centre has like a 9-3 shorter days or full days etc or 12-3 sort thing hope that makes sense you could of course look at FDC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't send him unless I'm working because we simply can't afford it. I'm not sure if he'll like it because he seems to be scared of strangers and he is terrified any time I leave him with people he doesn't know. I left him in my doctors office once for 2 minutes while I went to the bathroom to get a urine sample. When I got back he was hysterical and it took him over an hour to fully calm down. I'm hoping that he will soon be old enough to understand the concept that mummy comes back. He seems to be getting better at going to people he doesn't see much so hopefully he'll adjust if need be. Still stresses me out though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure it varies from centre to centre, but the centre my daughter was at was almost always fully booked. This meant that she had to be booked in to specific days, and those were the only days she could attend. But I assume that for a centre which was not so full, this might not be the case.

As a PP has suggested, you might find family day care more flexible. I used this quite a few years ago with my older children, working in a position where my hours varied from week to week, and the FDC worker was able to accommodate that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox in Sox For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (10-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you looked into how much Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate you will get? Because this makes it much more affordable. I work casually too but I have DD booked in daycare 3 days a week. I send her regardless of whether I'm working or not, and the cost (for us) was something we just factored into our budget. It's so beneficial for her, it's part of her routine and they offer her so much more that I can't! Some weeks it's expensive but we just have to wear that, until she's in school :/ I've put myself down as available to work those three days plus weekends when she can stay with DP. Some weeks I get a lot of work, some weeks I don't, but daycare was definitely the best choice I could have made for DD!

Talk to a few centres about what they offer, and don't forget FDC. It's not for me personally but it may work for your situation

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Hi, I am currently a mostly SAHM (I do 4-8 hours of casual work each week). But we are now in a position where I will need to start looking for a job with more hours. I don't really want to put my son in daycare yet but I might not have a choice. So, I'm just wondering about how it works.

If I was to get a job with a rotating roster (different days each week) is it possible to get my son in daycare on a 'casual' basis? Like if I'm working different hours every week can I change his daycare days to suit that? Or do I have to enroll him on set days? There's no point in having him in daycare on days I'm not working so I wouldn't want to have him in on set days and then not get offered a shift that day IYKWIM. Also, should I be trying to get him in now in case there is a long wait? What happens if we get offered a place and I'm still not working? Do I have to forfeit that place anyway?

Also, if there is such a thing as 'casual' daycare, can I get anything back from centrelink for that? I don't know how any of that works.
    My daycare is flexible as long as there is space. I have the kids booked in permanently only on 2 days then add on days as needed. So they are booked in on tues/wed (busiest days) and I add in a Monday and Friday as needed. The director of my centre understands shift work. I usually give them 2-3wks notice so I can be billed correctly but I have run them up on the day itself and gotten my two in when I've been sick or I've been called in.

It's easier to do this in older groups as nursery is usually fully booked.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the daycare. Ours runs at 95% capacity and only books casual days 1 week in advance. You only get in for a casual day if another child is away for some reason as most rooms are full most days.
    I've booked DD in for regular days, she goes if I work or not.
    I've employed a few mums over the years; most just say their availability eg: mon, wed, fri and we work with that if its a part time position.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look into family daycare. I think it's a good first step before childcare more like a home environment and usually only a couple other kids. My friend is a nurse and does shift work etc answer family daycare mum can often be flexible and accommodate. I think she still has 1 or 2 'regular' days and the others are on a needs basis. Of course totally dependent on the family daycare and their individual policies/preferences but might be a good option. And you do get childcare rebate etc for family daycare.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (13-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son goes to family daycare, we pay for the hours he is booked in for. so we pay for 32 hours over 4 days. I worked it around my work hours so is very convenient for me. She is flexible too, if i need to put my son in for extra hours she is fine with that providing she doesn't have anything else planned. Love her she is awesome. Will be having our new bub in the same fdc as well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (13-09-2015)