+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your 3-4yr old

Where are they at, developmentally? I'm just curious as my 3.5yr old is at much different level to where his 6yr old brother was at the same age.
    So I'm wondering who was "normal" Ds1 or 2!

(I'm referring to letter recognition, sounding letters, counting, memorising stories in books...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Dd2 is 4 in December. She knows some colours but definitely not all, mostly just primary colours.

Can have a conversation but had trouble pronouncing some letters and sounds and can be difficult to understand. I can tell she will need speech therapy.

She can count to 10 sometimes and can occasionally count to 15. But more often than not forgets the occasional number.

She can write a version of the first letter of her name but that's it.

She is social but can be shy.

She has trouble with pencil grip but tries really hard.

She can balance on one leg pretty well. Run, jump etc really well

Her fine motor skills are OK, not fantastic but pretty good.

I know there is more but i can't remember. I know what you mean, dd2 is vastly different to her sister in almost every way including development.

Eta: her memory is fantastic. She can remember random things from up to 2 years ago.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 09-09-2015 at 22:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD2 has just turned 3 a few weeks ago. She can write her name, can read about 20 of her letters, can draw a basic person, counts to 30, knows all her colours & shapes, carries on complex conversations. Engages in very complex play scenarios. Fiercely independent - can go off and dress herself independently, toilets independently, puts on her shoes, goes and drags her step out so she can get herself a drink. Emotionally, she is very young. Similar to her older sibling in terms of the "stuff" she can do, but soooooo much younger in her emotions. Has massive meltdowns over the most minor of things (Eg, I gave her the wrong coloured plate).

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD turned 4 in Aug and I believe she is developmentally on track (according to her 4yo health check):

Can hold a pencil properly
    Can thread beads on a string (this is a test they did at her check)
    Can count to 20 but usually stumbles a little between 10 and 20
    Can recognise her name and a couple of numbers
    Knows all the 'standard' colours
    Knows most basic shapes
    Quickly picks up and remembers stories, and can pretend to read a familiar book while recounting the gist of it out loud
    Can skip and hop on one leg (briefly!)
    Can't write any letters
    Can't read any words
    Doesn't draw well - her stick figures are, let's say abstract, lol!
    Doesn't colour in well (I think she's just not that interested rather than lack of ability)

I don't think DD is particularly advanced or behind in any areas, she has strengths and weaknesses but I think she's pretty typical development-wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Your 3-4yr old

Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Where are they at, developmentally? I'm just curious as my 3.5yr old is at much different level to where his 6yr old brother was at the same age.
    So I'm wondering who was "normal" Ds1 or 2!

(I'm referring to letter recognition, sounding letters, counting, memorising stories in books...)
    Out of all of those things, the only thing I would expect a 3.5 year old to do is to be able to count a few numbers, eg 1-5 (although I wouldn't expect them to be able to count out objects, only say the numbers in order) and being able to "read" a familiar story.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-09-2015 at 23:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. In vic when is the next check, is it 3.5?

At the moment he can-
    -Recognise most capital letters
    -Start to recognise some small caps
    - Because his brother is in prep, he'll copy him and say random things like "T" is for tree and turtle, "P" is for pillow.
    - he can count / objects to 30
    - can count to 49 off a visual chart
    (He's always enjoyed counting)

- can sort of draw faces, shapes at a 3yr old level and tries basic letters like A, H

- can't read words, but will use his finger to pretend to read a word

- sort of memorised a Hot wheel story, Green sheep book and Grug book (will turn the pages and "read" them)

He seems much more advanced than his 6yr old brother was, maybe because he watched his brother try to read and do homework.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has just turned 3. She can count endlessly (seriously she got to 500 one day 😳). Can recognise and write all letters, capital and lower case, they don't always look exactly as they should but she definitely has the right idea in her head! Can spell her name plus Mummy, Daddy, Nanna etc. Plays very independently, can play for hours with dolls or small items giving them voices and putting them in scenarios. Has a photographic memory when it comes to jigsaw puzzles (the ones where the pieces fit together, not where the shapes go in the holes). She'll pick up any random piece and know where on the board it goes.

There's not much she can't say! Very advanced vocally. A lot of kids at her daycare I can't understand but she can hold a conversation with an adult very easily.

She is very loving and social, plays with others really well and loves her friends. Talks about them a lot and names her dolls after them so she can continue playing with them at home!

When it comes to physical coordination, she's not so great! My sister & I were exactly the same as kids. She can't catch or throw a ball. Can't really jump. She has no sense of direction or spatial awareness. Doesn't like climbing things, doesn't really like playgrounds unless she uses them as the basis for a scenario where she's the 'magical princess fairy' and the fort is her 'castle' or something!

She's fully toilet trained, day & night. Liked to do everything "all by herself"!

She is very stubborn and inflexible. Making her toast of a morning has to follow the exact same steps each time. If I put the butter in a different spot on the bench, "No Mummy, the butter sits here!" She's getting better as she gets older and daycare has helped a lot with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say my just 4yo is fairly "average" for his age (he's not at kindy yet)
    - can count to 20, and count objects correctly to 12
    - knows his colours and basic shapes
    - recognises some numbers 1-10, and a few letters
    - fully toilet trained, recently started dressing himself and putting shoes on independently.

He's a third child, so has had nowhere near the same amount of time spent on "academic" stuff as my first child!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Your 3-4yr old

DD will be 4 at the start of March

She can:

Recognise all letters
    Count to 39
    Recognise and Spell out her name
    She's toilet trained (not night trained)
    She can feed herself (though is too lazy to sometimes)
    She recognises logos and can tell me what they say so has good word recognition
    Identify so many colours - can differentiate between dark colours and light
    Make up stories
    Knows shapes - even pentagons, hexagons and octagons.

She can't:

Hold a pen properly
    And therefore draw - she still scribbles
    Jump
    Dress herself (lazy more than lack of ability I think)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sub for later