+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Did your baby have hearing loss/impairment?

DS (13mo) is having a hearing test in a few weeks, mainly due to a speech delay.

If your child had/has hearing loss as a bub what symptoms did they have? How did it impact their behaviour? Did they have delays and if so, which areas specifically (eg delays in non-verbal communication as well as speech)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if this is the experience you are after... but my DS2 had glue ear as a toddler. Basically, he had started saying a few words at around 1yo, then by the time he was 18 months old, his words had almost all disappeared. I had also gone through this with DS1 (he didn't regress like DS1, rather, he didn't really speak or babble at all), so I straight away knew that it was probably glue ear and booked into an ENT to get it sorted.

They didn't have any behavioural symptoms related to the hearing deficit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Same as above, my little one had Glue ear. He had his op at 18 months (grommets in adenoids out), before that only said Mum, Dad and Car. Has come along in leaps and bounds since then, but I do think he's still a bit behind with his speech. Much improved from where he was though. His behaviour is not terrible, but he's certainly not an easy child. It's easy to want to blame the ear issues for that, but I can't really say for sure that it has anything to do with it, could just be his personality. I do think he struggles to communicate his wants and needs which makes him more frustrated than he otherwise might be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm thinking he might have glue ear. He's had loads of colds and quite a few ear infections in the last couple of months. He doesn't really respond to speech unless there's a melody to it like singing or a particular game I play with him. He only says ba and ma. He's delayed in non verbal communication like pointing and waving too. I spoke to an OT today and she said hearing loss can cause delays in non verbal communication as well, which was reassuring. I was curious to know if anyone else's child had the same type of delay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby girl failed her hearing tests but only one ear seems affected. We could only notice when she was little, she wouldn't jump at loud noises and seemed a bit ignorant lol. Hope it's something easily fixed with your bubby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What would you consider a speech delay?
    DS (15 months) only says mama dada nana. He has had a ridiculous amount of ear infections and a cold that has lasted since starting daycare in April. I am starting to wonder about his hearing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did your baby have hearing loss/impairment?

Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    What would you consider a speech delay?
    DS (15 months) only says mama dada nana. He has had a ridiculous amount of ear infections and a cold that has lasted since starting daycare in April. I am starting to wonder about his hearing.
    By this age they are expected to be making a range of sounds and babbling away. My DS only says "ba" and "ma" which apparently are related sounds. If you say "ma", "da", and "na" out loud you'll see that those sounds are all formed differently in the mouth.

DS also doesn't babble away to himself very much and tends to make a lot of long "aaaahhh" or "eeerrr" or moan type sounds. I've been told that's pretty typical of bubs his age with hearing loss.

My DD was slow to talk but she had more sounds by this age. We didn't get many real words until closer to 2yo and then she had an explosion of words.