+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Oral thrush in baby

Just wondering whether anybody had a baby with oral thrush and it got better without treatment? My ds2 was diagnosed with oral thrush about 5 weeks ago as he had a couple of spots on the roof of his mouth. I started treatment with miconazole gel but it's just got a lot worse and now his tongue is completely white.
    He's also developed nappy rash so I've been using canesten which clears it up but when I stop it comes back. I've been back to gp, asked paed and pharmacist and they all just say keep using the gel.
    I'm a bit fed up now as its been about 5 weeks and I'm just wondering if I just give up and see if it clears up. The oral thrush doesn't appear to be bothering him and I feel I'm keeping on top of the nappy rash. I'm not using bottles and I'm sterilising his dummies by boiling in water for 5 mins. I've got no symptoms myself but have been trying to apply gel before feeding but admit that I havnt been good at doing it every feed so guessing that's why things are not improving.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is probably not what you want to hear but the gel is the only way it will clear up (I have heard of coconut oil being used but for older kids). Also, bubs will prob have continual issues witb nappy rashes etc until the mouth clears up. Unfortunately you have to make sure you stay on top of it. Also, if you BF you might now show symptoms but be passing it back and forth. I used to put the gel on me and then when bub latched it got in their mouth and it also meant I was treated if that makes sense?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did the paed show you to apply it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh also, is it still on lips/cheeks/roof of mouth? or just the tongue now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand, I am four weeks into treatment and I can't get rid of it either. So annoying, my daughter tongue looks like your sons and same issue with her nappy rash- keeps coming back.
    I did have a rash on my breast but the cream helps but soon as I stop it comes back. And my nipples get very raw and sore.
    I feel your pain, it very frustrating. I have heard it can take ages to go away.
    At the moment I am just grinning and trying to deal with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-09-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I used nilstatin (sp?) for ds orally and daktarin gel on his bottom. Plus daktarin on my nipples. That seemed to clear it up pretty quickly for us.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so annoying as ds 1 had it also but with the gel it cleared up really quickly. I was really good at the beginning applying a small amount to my nipples just before feeding but when it wasn't improving I started applying it directly to tongue then got a bit out of the habit of putting it on me. I think the main problem is I have a toddler so am out and about all day and am not good at remembering to take it with me. I think I might buy another tube to leave in my bag so I've got no excuses!
    I know I've just got to get on top of it as the nappy rash just comes back when I stop the canesten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a pediatrician about 'thrush' that wouldn't clear up (turns out my GP and the MCHN didn't know what they were looking at). That's why I asked about lips/cheecks. My bub had thrush to start with, but a thick coating on his tongue was persisting. Turns out the thrush had cleared. Paediatrician said that some bubs just tend to get a thick coating, and there's nothing wrong with it. He said if it were thrush, it wouldn't be confined to the tongue.
    The reason I asked about applying it is that the pediatrician suggested to me:
    1. squeeze out some gel onto a plate. Use a cue-tip to apply it
    2. make sure you get all surfaces: tongue, roof of the mouth, cheeks, inside of the lips, under the tongue.

Completely understand what you mean about it being hard to remember/keep on top of. So frustrating! Hope you get on top of it soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I went to a pediatrician about 'thrush' that wouldn't clear up (turns out my GP and the MCHN didn't know what they were looking at). That's why I asked about lips/cheecks. My bub had thrush to start with, but a thick coating on his tongue was persisting. Turns out the thrush had cleared. Paediatrician said that some bubs just tend to get a thick coating, and there's nothing wrong with it. He said if it were thrush, it wouldn't be confined to the tongue.
    The reason I asked about applying it is that the pediatrician suggested to me:
    1. squeeze out some gel onto a plate. Use a cue-tip to apply it
    2. make sure you get all surfaces: tongue, roof of the mouth, cheeks, inside of the lips, under the tongue.

Completely understand what you mean about it being hard to remember/keep on top of. So frustrating! Hope you get on top of it soon.
    Thanks for the useful advice. I'm pretty sure it's just his tongue now. I can't really see the tiny spots that were on the hard palate originally and I don't think his lips or cheeks are affected. If it wasn't for the nappy rash I would prob just leave it. I constantly have vaginal thrush and am so sick of treating it as it comes back so often that I just put up with it unless it gets really bad. So I know how difficult it is to get rid of it entirely and just hoped if it wasn't bothering him to just manage it.