+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnant and clexane injections

Is anybody else pregnant and have to have daily clexane injections.... or have done in the past.

I just picked up my script today and I am freaking out big time. I HATE NEEDLES!!!! I'm generally ok as long as i don't look.... I have no idea how I'll cope doing it myself.

Would really appreciate any tips tricks or advice from mummas who have been in this situation..... eeeek talk me down pleeeeeease 😨

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on clexane for 12 weeks and unfortunately they do sting a bit. If you do them yourself I found easiest place is tummy and just pinch a chunk of tissue and be bold with the needle. Usually the needles are fairly sharp and small but it will sting when you inject and you will probably have a little bruise as well.
    Once you've done a few you will be fine. The first one is hard getting the confidence to stick the needle in but once you've got the hang of it you will be fine. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used tummy fat also - alternating sides.
    Pinch it up and jab.
    No need to get rid of air bubble like other needles - leave it in.
    We made sure the pointiest/longest part of the bevelled needle was at the bottom when injecting and it seemed to sting less.
    Don't push on the site afterwards. If a little blood comes out just brush over ever so lightly with a tissue.

I was a bit of a wimp though and DH did them for me - I think we're hard-wired not to inflict pain upon ourselves. I think he only gave me one bad bruise in three months.

I started the needles just after ovulation should have taken place...which it did. Talking to others on here said that it decreased the chance of my body rejecting bubs from the very start and helping with implantation.

Be careful with what you do whilst on it. Try and not knock your head or cut yourself. I usually would have mine just before bed so that if I did injure myself the next day the clexane would be at its weakest point in my system. Also being still for that long over night I figured it would help keep the blood flowing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on my 3rd pregnancy on Clexane - I have to take it the entire pregnancy and 6 weeks after. I've also had it several other times after operations, when flying long haul etc. I have had a blood clot on my lung previously.

I think Little Ted has covered most of what I would have told you! I find the needles now much better than they were a few years ago when they seemed a lot more blunt (or maybe I'm just better at injecting them!). I alternate sides in my tummy and most of the time can't even feel it now. I also don't bruise from them. I also inject mine at night before bed so less bleeding risk the next day if something happens (like car accident etc). And yes, don't expel the air bubble before injecting.

How long do you have to be on them? Is there a nurse that could give you a few pointers in person?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was on Fragmin (blood thinner similar to clexane) for over 5 years. From 4 weeks through to 6 weeks post baby and then all the time whilst I was trying to conceive baby no.2.

I used my belly area as well, I alternated which side I would inject in. Made sure I put the pointed end of the needle in first. After I did the injection, I would put my hand over the area and rub lightly.

As a previous post said, don't worry about getting rid of the air bubble. I found the faster I did the needle, the less it hurt.

I really didn't find it too painful and I never experience any more bleeding than normal when I cut myself.

All the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your words of advice!!
    @littleTed maybe a stupid question but what do you mean when you say the pointiest part of the needle at the bottom??

My dp is a wimp.and cant do it for so i was planning to do it at night so my friend staying with us can help me.

My fs has said i will be ine them the whole preg and prob up to 6 weeks after as I have a blood clotting disorder. I do have a friend whose a nurse. Unfortunatly she is away at the moment will def ask her when shes back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had a nurse teaching me how to do the injections many years ago, she got me to practice on an orange! I don't know if this is a normal thing to do but it gave me a bit more confidence with how to handle the needle, how the resistance of skin/muscle etc would feel. Obviously don't use that needle on yourself afterwards lol!

When you take the cap off the needle, the end is slanted so there's a long end and a short end - I think that's what Little Ted is referring to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend is gave me my first injection. I worked myself up so bad i thought I'd vomit.... but i didn't. The stabbing the neddle in didn't hurt very much but it stung afterwards is that normal? I had to lay down and couldn't watch. I'm stuffed if she leaves and i have to do it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Pregnant and clexane injections

The stinging will subside over time. When I did mine, I found sitting up felt better, but you will find what works best for you.
    I was on Fragmin for an auto immune clotting disorder as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    When I had a nurse teaching me how to do the injections many years ago, she got me to practice on an orange! I don't know if this is a normal thing to do but it gave me a bit more confidence with how to handle the needle, how the resistance of skin/muscle etc would feel. Obviously don't use that needle on yourself afterwards lol!

When you take the cap off the needle, the end is slanted so there's a long end and a short end - I think that's what Little Ted is referring to.
    ^^^ What sunny said. If you look at the end on the needle you will see that there is a slope on it. Make sure the pointy/longest bit goes in first so it isn't such a blunt entrance.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

melimum  (08-09-2015)