+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    still overdue for pap. sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Check for what exactly? Is there a general medical check up I should specifically be getting?

I get my paps on time, I get full blood counts done every so often. Blood pressure checked whenever I go to the GP for anything. Dentist I go to annually.

Skin checks are where I am slack. I don't have a lot of miles or freckles but I do need to get in the habit of getting them checked/scanned regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I literally had mine 2 weeks ago, my SIL best friend was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at 33 ( she has a 1 year old) so I made my 2 SIL and sister and me all have mammograms , full blood tests and general check ups , I was fine , my sister found out she's vitamin b12 deficient and both SIL have low iron , all of us had clear mammograms which was great but have all made a note to remind each other to book one in every 2 years ( one SIL is only 36 and her Dr said she's too young to worry about mammograms but thankfully, because of her friend she insisted )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Only yesterday I had a full blood evaluation and a mammogram. Next week I'm booked for a full skin check. In July my Pap smear is due and in December I'm due for a colonoscopy. My daughter only has me and I'm over 50 so I get it all done.

I started getting annual blood tests at 40. I get colonoscopies because my Dad had bowel cancer at 44. you can do the "blood in the poo" check - the kit is around $10 from the chemist and it's super easy.

must book the dentist as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I literally had mine 2 weeks ago, my SIL best friend was just diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at 33 ( she has a 1 year old) so I made my 2 SIL and sister and me all have mammograms , full blood tests and general check ups , I was fine , my sister found out she's vitamin b12 deficient and both SIL have low iron , all of us had clear mammograms which was great but have all made a note to remind each other to book one in every 2 years ( one SIL is only 36 and her Dr said she's too young to worry about mammograms but thankfully, because of her friend she insisted )
    I always thought mammograms were ineffective on younger women because the breast tissue is too dense? Genuine question. I have always thought it wasn't possible until a certain age - unless something has changed recently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default When was your last health check?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I always thought mammograms were ineffective on younger women because the breast tissue is too dense? Genuine question. I have always thought it wasn't possible until a certain age - unless something has changed recently?
    Over 40 is the recommendation from breast screen Australia unless there is history in the family, (it's also a free service and no referrals needed) the lady that did my SIL (she's 36) said she thinks the base age should be reduced to age 35 , her friend ( who was diagnosed at 33) said her GP thought her lump was just a cyst and didn't recommend a mammogram either because of her age but thankfully she insisted and the mammogram hopefully saved her life - they basically say under 40 self check monthly and GP exam yearly then after 40 mammogram every 2 years

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    my doctor told me ultrasounds were more effective before 50 and mammograms after.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had full bloods done recently. I had a mammogram and breast ultrasound too. But I am due for my pap smear, and really need to find a doctor in our area to get that done. I have a great GP whom I see for everything but I can't go to him for that. I just wouldn't be comfortable. But this is a timely reminder for me to get off my butt and get it sorted. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    my doctor told me ultrasounds were more effective before 50 and mammograms after.
    Can we get ultrasounds even if there is no lump? I get the impression that so many young women die because they don't discover it until it's a sizeable lump and quite advanced. I was discussing this subject with my DH recently - his cousin just got diagnosed with late stage breast cancer and she is in her 30s with 3 young kids. I am terrified of breast cancer more than anything else, if there is a way to detect it earlier I want to know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    I had full bloods done recently. I had a mammogram and breast ultrasound too. But I am due for my pap smear, and really need to find a doctor in our area to get that done. I have a great GP whom I see for everything but I can't go to him for that. I just wouldn't be comfortable. But this is a timely reminder for me to get off my butt and get it sorted. Thank you
    I feel the same way about my GP. Have had a couple paps with him but so uncomfortable. I just had my OB do one after the birth of my son and I barely felt a thing! She was so much more gentle. Try find a female doc if you can, in my experience they are more gentle.