+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Whats the etiquette?

I was a helper at ds's school today. He is in kindergarten.

At morning tea one of the girls (who is in a family of 8 siblings) only had 5 rice crackers to eat. She was starving. She asked me for more food but I didn't have any. Then she asked me for money but I didn't know what to do. She asked the teachers aid for money and then started to pinch some of the other kids's food when they weren't watching.

It was heartbreaking.

I don't know her mum well enough to suggest giving her more food, but what would you do?

I was thinking about leaving an apple in her pigeon hole tomorrow as I'm thinking that with 8 kids perhaps money's a bit tight.

I don't think they're super struggling financially and it isn't a public school so I know they have *some*
    Money otherwise they'd be in public school (please don't take offence to that I don't mean it in a nasty way, I hope you understand what I mean by that comment.

I know it could have been a one off where food was left at home but I don't think it was, just coz of seeing her other kid at playgroup and the snacks that he brings.

I guess this is just as much of a vent as well, I just feel really sad that whilst everyone was still munching he was just finished and looking so sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why can't you inform the teacher who can then discuss it with the parents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are concerned that it's not a one-off, I would mention it to the teacher.
    Then if the teacher is also concerned, she/he can talk to the parents.

Giving her an apple is nice but it doesn't fix anything if it's a long term problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might do speak to the teacher then, it's my 1st kid so I don't know what the boundaries are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would discuss it with the teachers. You actually aren't supposed to discuss what happens during class with other parents (even the parents involved) due to privacy issues so I'd be extremely careful about saying or doing anything beyond speaking to the teachers.

You never know the background to why people might do things. If she's been very wasteful with food, or is on a limited diet for some reason, sneaking in food could be a giant no no.

Just talk to the teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would speak to the teachers. They may have noticed it and be onto it already

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely talk to the teacher. I've been heavily involved in DD's schooling and I've witnessed/been told/ heard things that have concerned me a lot of the last 18 months. I always just pull the teacher aside and quietly tell her. She always thanks me and appreciates it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely a talk to the teachers kind of issue. The teachers might already be aware of it - there might be a backstory, or there might be an issue where the child eats all their lunch before school and its something that they're working on already. Or it could be a case of the child continually bringing inadequate lunch to school.

Either way, its something to bring to the teachers attention so it can be handled through the correct channels.

Our school does training for volunteers at the start of the year and its really drummed into us that we cannot discuss anything we see at school when we're helping out due to confidentiality and privacy policies, even if its with the child's own parents. Its a potential minefield. The rule of 'just let the teacher know' protects everyone involved (including yourself).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (08-09-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't see it as my business, there may be more to it.