+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying tips needed!

So I've applied to study next year and all going well, I'll be heading to uni in February. It's been, ahem, 20+ years since high school and I have very little recollection as to how to actually study. So, I'm after some tips...not how to work around family life as such but more how you actually study -
    do you write notes when you read textbooks? Underline things as you read? Allocate certain study times for each subject? Take notes during lectures or just listen? Study with friends? Flash cards?
    I'm trying to get my head into the right space and get prepared for the whole new (exciting!) world I'm about to enter!
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm currently in my first year of studying teaching. I've found taking notes of all text books and study notes to be really helpful. Dating and putting what week you are studying. I try to work ahead with my notes eg. I'm week 8 and have study notes completed for up to week 10.
    Read up on your assessments before they tell you to start workin on them, that way you know what you need to focus more on with readings.
    One thing that I didn't do at first but now do- referencing. Reference everything. Research the referencing style (I usually stick to APA). I was only taking down book and author now I take down everything so I'm not tracking it down later.
    Study wise, they say 8 hours per subject, I haven't had to do that yet but I know others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to work out what kind of learner you are. For me I like to write things down. Others can learn from just reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done!

I went back to uni after not studying since school as well. I'm now in 3rd year of a psychology degree.

Different strategies work for different people. The most efficient ones seem to be hand writing notes from lectures and textbooks. Writing it out rather than typing appears to get the message into the brain better. Highlighting the text book does not work well. Self testing is also very good when it comes to exams, so things like practice quizzes and past exam papers

I try and write a bit about each paragraph in the text book, I also write out the important terms and definitions and 'people'.

I study externally and would rather study on my own, but DP would rather do study groups. It is whatever works for you and what you enjoy.

Try not to get behind, hard to say with kids I know but it is a real pain to catch up. I can't talk I got about weeks behind last semester and then caught the flu (influenza B) during exam week.

I don't have certain days or times I study, but I'm not doing a full time load. By Sunday night I aim to finish each weeks allotment or reading and any associated activities.

Use the semester break to work on any assignments you have e.g work on an essay plan.

It gets easier in some ways the further you get through your degree. I hated essays they would freak me out during first year. Now while they are a pain they don't fill me with fear and dread.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Well done!

I went back to uni after not studying since school as well. I'm now in 3rd year of a psychology degree.

Different strategies work for different people. The most efficient ones seem to be hand writing notes from lectures and textbooks. Writing it out rather than typing appears to get the message into the brain better. Highlighting the text book does not work well. Self testing is also very good when it comes to exams, so things like practice quizzes and past exam papers

I try and write a bit about each paragraph in the text book, I also write out the important terms and definitions and 'people'.

I study externally and would rather study on my own, but DP would rather do study groups. It is whatever works for you and what you enjoy.

Try not to get behind, hard to say with kids I know but it is a real pain to catch up. I can't talk I got about weeks behind last semester and then caught the flu (influenza B) during exam week.

I don't have certain days or times I study, but I'm not doing a full time load. By Sunday night I aim to finish each weeks allotment or reading and any associated activities.

Use the semester break to work on any assignments you have e.g work on an essay plan.

It gets easier in some ways the further you get through your degree. I hated essays they would freak me out during first year. Now while they are a pain they don't fill me with fear and dread.

Good luck!
    Thanks Cheerliee! That's really useful info.
    Just to clarify; do you tend to re-read your notes in preparation for exams, and refer to the textbooks if needed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pushka View Post
    Thanks Cheerliee! That's really useful info.
    Just to clarify; do you tend to re-read your notes in preparation for exams, and refer to the textbooks if needed?
    It depends on the subject, a lot of the time I use the lecturers power point to study for exams. I will then read the textbook again if I am unsure of a concept. Mostly I do a lot of the quizzes on the textbook companion sites again and again.

Last semester I did a counselling subject and I got so far behind (about 8 chapters behind). So I read the chapters (without taking notes), listened to the lectures and did the chapter revision quizzes (over and over again). I went to the written exam and got 94% so it seemed to work.

I do not suggest that you let yourself get this far behind. I used my entire study week to study for that exam and then one day to study for my other subject and didn't go so well (75% or so I think).

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I'm currently in my first year of studying teaching. I've found taking notes of all text books and study notes to be really helpful. Dating and putting what week you are studying. I try to work ahead with my notes eg. I'm week 8 and have study notes completed for up to week 10.
    Read up on your assessments before they tell you to start workin on them, that way you know what you need to focus more on with readings.
    One thing that I didn't do at first but now do- referencing. Reference everything. Research the referencing style (I usually stick to APA). I was only taking down book and author now I take down everything so I'm not tracking it down later.
    Study wise, they say 8 hours per subject, I haven't had to do that yet but I know others do.
    Thanks so much Baby G4...
    When you talk about referencing do you mean things like book/author/page number etc so you can find that info again if needed?
    I know the uni I hope to attend has an info lesson on referencing but interested as to whether that's more for your reference rather than for essays?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I find what works for me is focus on getting all the formative stuff out of the was as early as possible and then catch up on lectures to prep for the exam. I have only 1 assignment left to submit this semester and then exams. It doesn't matter if you submit your assignments 2 months ahead. In fact it is better because then you have time for feedback and to fix any issues. The last week's of semester i download all the lectures to my phone and then go sit in the botanic gardens and binge watch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pushka View Post
    Thanks so much Baby G4...
    When you talk about referencing do you mean things like book/author/page number etc so you can find that info again if needed?
    I know the uni I hope to attend has an info lesson on referencing but interested as to whether that's more for your reference rather than for essays?
    Referencing for both. For you to look back on but for essays/assessments you need to reference where you got your work from or direct quotes. Look up APA and/or Harvard referencing, it will give you a bit of incite on what's needed. If you know this before time, it will save you a lot of time. My first essay took me hours to figure out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started postgrad this year after 16 years since my undergrad. I'm not going to lie to you its a shock to the system!

If you can, attend some of the workshops they usually have in orientation week (assuming you are on campus, not sure if they do similar for online study). Academic writing workshops are particularly good if it's been a while since you've written an essay. Also familiarise yourself with the library facilities - most is online now and it will take a while to get your head around the online library system - how to search, access articles, citations etc.

If you haven't got one get a laptop. Although you may still have handouts/printouts etc it's definitely easier to type your notes straight into your laptop in lectures etc. that way you can easily copy/paste notes into essays etc if needed rather than digging through all your papers.

That said you will probably still need a decent ring binder to store printouts of readings etc. I print out all my readings because it's easier to read and I can highlight important bits. I use dividers in the ring binder to separate subjects and also post-it flags colour coded etc.

Then it really depends what you are studying too, each course is so different.

If you can find out what text books you need well ahead of time and try to find these second hand through the student bookshop (early, they sometimes go the day the come in). Look online etc or find out through your university student co-op where the best place for 2nd hand text books are. Be prepared to spend big $ regardless...

That's all I can think of for now but congrats on the decision to go back to uni! I struggled through my first assignment, handing it in at midnight the day it was due, thought I completely screwed it up but got a HD. So it's not so bad!