+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Kidney dye scan for baby

My 11 month old is has a dye scan of her kidneys tomorrow at the children's hospital. The paed ordered it due to recurrent utis and my daughters kidneys had not shown any growth between ultrasounds. We have had to wait for 3 months after her last uti to get this scan done.

Has anyone had a child or baby that has had this test? What did they have the test for? What were the results? I'm very anxious about tomorrow. I can't get my daughter to lie on her back without having a screaming meltdown. What sort of things might they pick up and what will be the next step?!?

Thanks all xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes my daughter had this at 3-4 months old, she has vesicoureteral reflux. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    What sort of symptoms did she have with that? What do they do to treat it?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    that all is good for you Mamasupial

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    What sort of symptoms did she have with that? What do they do to treat it?
    Sorry I'm guessing in your original post you're talking about a MCU test?
    DD had a slight odd smell to her urine one day so I did a dip test (We had them at home), it showed blood, so off to paed. Given her age he wanted her to do the test for VUR. She had that and a kidney ultrasound. After VUR was found - mild and only on one side - she had prophylactic antibiotics until she was about 18 months old. No more infections. Repeat US at 18 months showed slight difference in size of the kidneys but nothing major. We don't do anything different for her now other than urine test if I was suspicious of UTI. However someone I know has a child with it more severe and they have had more ongoing issues/surgery, so depends on the severity and how early it is detected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    everything is ok Mummasupial, poor bubba and mumma!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks!

I'm not sure how we will get her to lie still. They won't sedate her will they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They didn't sedate her. DH basically had to hold her still. I won't lie, it wasn't pleasant. Maybe seeing as your DD is a little older they may give her some gas? DD is getting an NG tube in next week and they're using gas for that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kidney dye scan for baby

Hey Mamasupial! As you known my DS2 had this exact same test MCU. It was really hard keeping him to lie still (they won't sedate until after 12 months, we were told) but I held him down as did two other nurses as well.

I knew the result the same day when his test was done. The dr spoke about the test the entire time he was performing it eg what he was doing.

She will probably get very upset (and you too, I did) but you need to find out if there is a problem. They thought my DS2 had reflux of his kidneys due to 1 UTI. It was ruled out as he was prem and his body was just trying to learn what to do.

Good luck Hun, lots of hugs to you both xo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I can see already that tomorrow is going to be traumatic...