+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Feeling overwhelmed with "stuff"

Does anyone else feel like this? That their life would be less stressful with less things cluttering it up.

I've been trying to get on the minimalist bandwagon for a while now but the more I get rid of I feel there's more crap popping up to replace it. Its driving me nuts.

Anyone in the same boat? Any tips? Or just share your minimalist stories 😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (08-09-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah

My DH made me have a big huge clean out before christmas last year - and I felt SOOOOO much better.

My house looked amazing, and it was so good.

it was hard throwing out 'stuff' that I was attached to or had memories ... but the memories are still there, just that I feel better without all the cr@p

we had rules
    - if you hadnt used in in 2 years, and it had no capital value or reasonable reason to be kept
    - if I couldnt find somewhere reasonable to put it (I have 1 cupboard allocated for certain stuff to keep, but only what I could fit)
    - clothes, shoes etc had to have a full clean out
    - office records ... DH scanned everything and we shredded
    - furniture that wasnt required
    - kids toys ... HUGE clean out

DO IT !!!!!

be ruthless !!!!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yes definitely. I loved throwing out heaps of stuff when we moved from a 3 bed to a 2bed place. And we still have too much stuff. I'd love to get rid of a lot of it. We have heaps we never use that's just in cupboards or cluttering up the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We moved and threw away a huge amount of stuff. It was in storage for 18 months and when unpacking we threw out more. It's been amazing!! I love not having cupboards full of stuff we don't use or need and I now have more storage room for things we do use.

Since then ds was born and I'm trying very hard to keep the things he has to a minimum. I don't want heaps of cheap crappy toys that he uses for 5 seconds, but keeping the grandparents to it is difficult. My rule is if the toy won't grow with him for at least 12 months I don't want it. Sounds harsh, but it keeps my house tidier and he has toys that are better quality too.

I try and do this with everything - I but less clothes but better quality/lasting clothes that last at least 2 seasons. Its so much better!

Do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been what I felt was ruthless but its still not ruthless enough obviously. Im planning on purging furniture and all soon ready for us to move house next year.

Its mainly the kitchen and toy room that's the worst and I've already donated heaps.

Some days I wish I could throw everything out and start again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes yes yes!!!
    I'm hoarding old clothes we're talking some are over 15 years old ( even close to 20) that I had as a teen.
    Not to mention things like old lecture notes etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes, it is a constant battle at my house, one I am losing at the moment... Just have to try and get motivated to start decluttering again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I've just finished a 6 month culling process. I started with the kids toys and literally got rid of 2/3( with their cooperation) and worked room by room.
    The house was a mess for a lot of it as there was bags of crap everywhere.
    I sold a lot of it on gumtree and BSS page.

The house feels so much lighter and people actually have been commenting (the house was not cluttered or anything before).

It was a mission but worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    We moved and threw away a huge amount of stuff. It was in storage for 18 months and when unpacking we threw out more. It's been amazing!! I love not having cupboards full of stuff we don't use or need and I now have more storage room for things we do use.
    Same thing happened to me. My stuff was in storage for 2 years. So I figured if I hadn't needed it in 2 years, I don't need it. That was the start of my being able to be brutal. It's hard to get in that mindset normally I think. Most of the stuff in storage went. I shudder to think about the waste of storage fees for cr@p I didn't even keep!

Moving house is a good reason to be brutal as well OP, so if you're doing that, then it's a good reason to start culling. Do one room at a time. Think about when was the last time you used this thing, do you really need it, do you really have room for it.... and be honest!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google Marie Kondo's book/method. It's really good if you have trouble getting rid of stuff. The basic rule for everything is to ask "does this item bring me joy?" And if the answer is no then it goes!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bella978 For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (08-09-2015),SoThisIsLove  (26-11-2015)