+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most laws aren't age-based, as it's not a very good way of assessing a situation...since every child and family is different. Our laws are often based on what a "reasonable person" would think is acceptable - highly subjective, but it allows for system that changes with societal expectations and is the reason for having a jury; to be judged by your peers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Regardless on their being no "actual" law with a set age limit, I really don't think that the situation you've described could be seen by any reasonable person as acceptable.
    Kids across the road playing in a well known park, without parental supervision, but with an expected time home, and knowledge of where they are is not even remotely the same. Even though I myself wouldn't do that, I can see why a reasonable person might think it acceptable. A 9 and 7 year old, 15 mintutes walk away, for most of the day, by themselves, in a new area, having to deal with heavy traffic and main roads etc...... So completely not reasonable.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

DT75  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Most laws aren't age-based, as it's not a very good way of assessing a situation...since every child and family is different. Our laws are often based on what a "reasonable person" would think is acceptable - highly subjective, but it allows for system that changes with societal expectations and is the reason for having a jury; to be judged by your peers
    Yeah I get that, but some sort of age guideline isn't unreasonable surely...

I mean if I said these kids were 5!
    @CazHazKidz- yes its not just there ages and going out, its the combination of factors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Problem is that you can't have suggestions in the law, since judges have to interpret the law as written. Not suggesting that that makes this case fine, but it just wouldn't be practical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Problem is that you can't have suggestions in the law, since judges have to interpret the law as written. Not suggesting that that makes this case fine, but it just wouldn't be practical.
    Sorry I wasn't suggesting guidelines as law. But something on the state's family/children/social welfare site.

Anyway. Case is being looked into, kids have said they now can't go there alone and seem happy about it.