+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think I was ever allowed to go to the park by myself. I was allowed to walk to the local milk bar and to/from school alone from the age of about 10 or 11.

I agree with others who said it would be other factors that would determine if its acceptable to me that they go alone. I think if you wonder whether you should report something, it's a good idea to, just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds mr 7 year old is allowed to ride his bike to the shop which is 2 streets away, he only has 1 road to cross. It's the roads and drivers that worry me the most. Wouldn't allow it if we lived in the city that's for sure. As for staying home alone, won't happen for many years to come yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Children should not be crossing roads on their own before 10 years old http://www.kidsafensw.org/road-safet...strian-safety/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is no checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I think it is the "other" details in the OPs case that, for me, would determine if there is a case for reporting. Firstly - why are the kids going to a park so far away for so long? Is it because they are active kids who join their friends there to play for the afternoon or is it because they have nowhere else to go or don't want to be at home?. Are they safe and capable of getting to the park? Do their parents know where they are? Do the children have a reasonable understanding of what to do if something goes wrong?
    I don't know. .I guess I'm reasonably "free range" in my parenting style. My 9yo would happily spend several hours at the local park with his mates from the area, (playing games, kicking a footy, building cubbies etc good clean boy fun) although very busy roads is not an issue for us. I know where he is and he knows where I am and we have pretty clear guidelines. I would be devastated if it was reported to authorities and he would be devastated to have to stay within the confines of our yard..it would be a real shame.
    As I said, I would have to get a "vibe" about this situation and the stuff going on on the periphery fir it to ring big alarm bells. 7 is too young in my opinion. .but the 10yo might be very responsible. .who knows?
    Some of this I CAN answer- the mother does know where they are (she is a SAHP), but I do not know if the father does- considering the kids chat about it I imagine he knows.
    According to the kids, neighbours, and even the mother, she sends them out of the house so "they are not in the way".
    There are no guidelines, it is just the two of them- their friends go sometimes but only with their parent(s). Their mum collects them when she feels like it. No checking in.

ETA: I also am not convinced that the kids could find their way home if needed, as they only recently moved to the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Children should not be crossing roads on their own before 10 years old http://www.kidsafensw.org/road-safet...strian-safety/
    Yeah this is my concern. Knowing the kids- I think the 7 year old would be good traffic and road wise, the 9 year old not so much.
    But as the 9 year old is older, the 7 year old can hardly be 'in charge'.
    The roads are VERY busy- one is a main road.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Sorry I know this is a bit of a derailment, but this campaign/guidelines really annoys me. Children should be walking. They should be out of the house being active, even without an adult supervising, certainly by 10. All kids who live within 1km of their school should be walking with or without a parent by the age of 10. Yes road safety is important, but kids walking to school (even the ones whose parents can't walk them) is saving the planet and making the roads safer, as there are less distracted parents not paying attention/double parking etc around the school gate. Plus it's good exercise. I think it's a really misguided campaign. We should be making our roads and footpaths more kid friendly rather than shackling them to their parents until they are 10!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (09-09-2015),Elijahs Mum  (08-09-2015),Lincolns mummy  (08-09-2015),Maddmumma  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015),smallpotatoes  (08-09-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    There is no checking in.

Some of this I CAN answer- the mother does know where they are (she is a SAHP), but I do not know if the father does- considering the kids chat about it I imagine he knows.
    According to the kids, neighbours, and even the mother, she sends them out of the house so "they are not in the way".
    There are no guidelines, it is just the two of them- their friends go sometimes but only with their parent(s). Their mum collects them when she feels like it. No checking in.

ETA: I also am not convinced that the kids could find their way home if needed, as they only recently moved to the area.
    What you describe here is exactly what every mother in the history of the world until about 15-20 years ago has done/said.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    What you describe here is exactly what every mother in the history of the world until about 15-20 years ago has done/said.
    That does not make it ok!

And you are incorrect- my mother never did or said it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I was a mum 20 + years ago and not one of the parents I know would do this. Even 40 years ago my parents wouldn't have. Dh parents would have. Than again he was abandoned In a orphanage for 2 years when he was a young child. Mum went on to have more kids in the 2 years he and his siblings were there.

So yes some would have and some still do but it certainly wasn't the majority 20 years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nup my parents would never have let me play at a park on my own at that age either.

My kids and I walk to and from school on my non work days, we love walking and I have a very active little family. I would never ever consider letting them walk to school on their own.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-09-2015)