+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WDYT- walking alone

So, I have started in the last couple of weeks going for walks on the beach when I am kid-free, as I have put a few kilos on in the last year or so and I want to be a bit more active. The beach where I choose to walk is fairly empty on weekday mid-morning when I go. The other day when I went, only 2 people passed me in the 1.5hrs it takes me to walk this stretch, though I usually see maybe 10 or more. It did occur to me that if something bad was to happen, I would be totally alone and unless someone else was on the beach too, no one could see me or hear me. But I happily told myself that that is totally paranoid.

The other day, I was on my walk. I had walked to the end of the beach, it's about 45 minutes from where I parked, and it is a 4WD park, so on weekdays it is largely deserted. On my way back, I heard someone running up behind me, that's fine, I do get people jogging past me as I only walk. But he stopped when he got up to me and said "geez, you're a fast walker, I've been running for ages to catch up with you". Old, feral, but seemingly friendly guy. I thought he'd say hi then keep running, but he didn't. He stayed walking with me making small talk, and asking about where I live and where I work (which I avoided answering!). I didn't feel threatened by him... though I did wish he'd leave me the h3ll alone as I like my serenity... I just thought he was a bit of a loser, but then he made a couple of comments about how "it would be nice to sit and have a coffee after this". When I got up to the entrance where I came in and I told him I was going, he said "well this has been such a nice walk, I'm going to do it more often now, maybe I'll see you again down here".
    It did creep me out a bit.

When I told my friend, she said she had worried thoughts for me when I first said I was walking on the beach by myself, because of the "no one can hear you scream" type environment.

WDYT? Is it silly for me to be walking in an isolated place by myself? Or is that just paranoid? I mean statistically speaking, it would be very rare for something bad to happen. And I do regularly see other people walking/jogging by themselves.

I wanted to go for a walk today, around now actually, but I just really didn't want to bump into that guy again, so I didn't go for my walk, and now I'm annoyed.

?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like a nice place to walk. I love walking alone and I don't think it's silly - I would do it. I would just tell hubby where I was going and make sure I had a fully charged phone with me. Does the area have full phone reception?

However, that guy sounds like a weirdo- surely he would realise that running up on you like that could freak you out? Or maybe he thought he was just harmless flirting with you? Either way, it would put me off walking there again and I would probably chose another place.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

its sad when we feel that we cant do something as simple as walking on the beach without feeling threatened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can you walk anywhere else? I get your frustration about feeling like you can't enjoy being alone on a beach. I found a new jogging track recently and went for a run and found myself in a very isolated part of the track surrounded by bushland. I was actually near streets and houses but being middle of a week day no one was around. Suddenly I felt very vulnerable and got the hell out of there straight back to my car.

I've jogged all over inner city Melbourne at all hours of the day and night and never felt afraid. But I was always surrounded by people. Isolation does freak me out a bit these days. It shouldn't but it does.

If I were you I'd find a more populated area. It's sad but as unlikely as it is for something to go wrong I feel I couldn't put my family through that because of a decision I made which I could have easily avoided.

Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe carry a rape alarm with you (an alarm that makes a very high pitched loud siren when you activate it) and just have it within reach if you feel threatened at any point (I used to have one and would carry it in my pocket holding it if I needed to walk somewhere I felt isolated like home from bus stop in dark for example). Although as you say there are not many people around to hear it would give your attacker enough of a shock to run away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also have been a bit freaked out by the man you described (though chances are he was just being friendly). I also have similar thoughts to you when walking along our beach in winter - I can go a whole walk without seeing anyone.

I think that it all depends if you are comfortable with continuing it. It doesn't sound like an enjoyable way to spend your child free time if you are going to be continually stressed and worried. Do you get phone reception when walking? If so, making sure you take your mobile might help you relax a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you like dogs? See if anyone in your area has a large dog that doesn't get enough exercise that they would like you to exercise for them on your daily walk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.
    Yes I do carry my phone and yes it gets reception.
    I walk this stretch because it's just that- a nice stretch of beach. If I walk the other direction it is broken up by rocks etc. There is an esplanade but it's so packed, plus I like walking on the sand as I get sore knees/feet if I walk on the concrete.
    I could possibly start walking a bit further up and then not walk all the way down to the 4WD park so that it's not so isolated. I might try that next time.

Caz- yes I love dogs! But don't really know any big scary ones. It's a good idea though.

I'm wondering as the weather gets warmer there might be more people around.

It's such a shame that this doubt has been put into my mind. It's such a nice, peaceful walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's important to trust your instincts.

In saying that if you want to walk alone then you should. I don't think it's silly or being careless.

I do wonder though if that man does approach you again if you would feel more comfortable being assertive and saying you are going for a walk to enjoy the quiet, so excuse me while I walk alone? You don't have to put up with someone forcing themselves into your space.

As long as I had my phone I would walk, it sounds like a beautiful spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't take a path like that by myself, I would be too scared. Especially after the creepy guy.

It's pretty obvious when a person is uncomfortable through body language and I'm willing to assume that he probably noticed, but didn't care. I could be wrong. I would just find a different route. Even if he didn't notice you were uncomfortable, that would set off alarm bells for me for different reasons.

It sucks big time when we feel like we can't do something as simple as go for a walk/jog without the fear of being assaulted/kidnapped/murdered. And be blamed for it on top of that.