+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low/no sugar food ideas

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests I'm after some food inspiration for going low sugar/sugar free.

After watching a few docos on how harmful it can be I've decided to really cut down on my intake and my kids intake of sugar.

I would love to hear from some of you who have done the same, especially those with kids.

What are some of the meals/snacks that you regularly eat?
    What do you eat when your out and about? Do you ever buy from food courts/cafes or just take your own lunches with you?
    Do you still bake 'sweet' things but replace with sugar substitutes sucks as rice malt syrup? Or just avoid 'sweet' things altogether?

Thanks so much for any info!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    have a look at LCHF

I still bake, but just avoid it where i can although AF's chocolate induced cravings were on friday when i was making a friends birthday cake.....

You can have Apple with Peanut Butter or Celery with Peanut butter.

A typical day for me is
    Scrambled eggs made with cream for breakfast.
    BBQ chicken and salad for lunch
    then what ever dinner i feel like cooking for the 3 of us I just avoid the carby/sugary stuff.

I don't like Sugar subsitutes so i tend to avoid things i need them for, i make cream cheese pancakes which are yummy and have them with fruit

Goodluck, it is hard to kick but worth it

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

sallybea  (07-09-2015),Simran  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've been sugar free (or low sugar really - can't be entirely sugar free) for 3 years, I will come back and reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the iqs 8 week program from her book. Hubby is still sugar free but I still bake with minimal natural sweetners (fruit, dates, rice malt, maple, honey).

A couple of favs here are ice blocks made with coconut milk, coconut water, avocado and lime juice all whizzed up.

Or I make sour apple slice but use natural yoghurt and a healthy base.

Cheesy bacon rounds are good too and you can adapt them to suit what your family likes.

I still eat cake etc at special occasions. But a small piece and am mindful of my sugar (inc natural) for the next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've done sugar free and found it really good in that it reduces your need for sweet things - your tolerance for sweet goes down and you find things sweet that you wouldn't normally find sweet - and you don't enjoy sweet things as much as you used to. It's a win win situation!

From memory I did about 8 weeks. First week or so is hardest but you get in the groove. Main thing is to plan ahead/have healthy snacks available and on hand so you don't let yourself get desperately hungry (when you are most likely to fall off the rails!).

I used to have eggs in some form most mornings, mid morning snack was either plain natural (full fat) yoghurt with nuts/seeds or vege sticks with homemade hommus.
    Some other snack ideas I used were-

Boiled eggs
    Tuna cans (check ingredients as some contain sugar)
    Avocado on rice cakes
    Natural peanut butter (or almond butter) on rice cakes
    Cheese
    Lettuce leaves rolled up with Turkey/ham/salmon etc and Mayo
    Spiced nuts or tamari roasted seeds
    Chia puddings made with just plain coconut milk

I didn't do the sugar alternatives thing - I think if you really want to wean yourself off sweet cravings etc you need to eliminate all sweet things for a while (and reintroduce after 6-8 weeks).

I also avoided fruit other than lemon and limes for the first 6 weeks for the same reason.

Especially avoid any artificial sweeteners.

It is hard to eat savoury all the time but I found when I really wanted sweet i snacked on natural Greek yoghurt, cashews, coconut flakes,
    Almond butter on rice cakes etc. these are all naturally sugar free but still have an element of 'sweet' to them and after you haven't had sugar for a while they taste heaps sweeter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jamie Oliver released a good article about sugar.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...p3uJVIfVBYG.97

One thing to note is that rice malt syrup is sugar!! As is golden syrup, honey, etc.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441606312.610038.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Jamie Oliver released a good article about sugar.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-...p3uJVIfVBYG.97

One thing to note is that rice malt syrup is sugar!! As is golden syrup, honey, etc.

Attachment 73378
    What are the best alternatives? Eg baking a cake, what can I use instead of sugar? Is natvia / stevia the only natural low calorie substitutes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What are the best alternatives? Eg baking a cake, what can I use instead of sugar? Is natvia / stevia the only natural low calorie substitutes?
    Things like Apple puree is a great substitute for sugar in pancakes, crepes, muffins and slices.

Cooked dates in water is good for puddings, cakes and cupcakes, esp if cocoa is an ingredient.

Full fat ricotta, eggs, cinnamon and lemon juice makes a great cheesecake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low/no sugar food ideas

I read Sweet Poison before giving up sugar, and would recommend it, and the sweet poison quit plan for practical tips. The I Quit Sugar books are also good.
    I would also recommend no sweeteners for the first month or so. I use Rice Malt Syrup a bit, the theory being that it contains just glucose, not fructose which is apparently the more dangerous part of sugar. That said, I use minimal amounts, and the sweet things that I bake really aren't that sweet at all, but your taste buds adjust.
    My favourite recipes at the moment are from www.wellnourished.com.au
    My kids eat mostly sugar free, but they love lollies! I let them go a bit crazy at parties etc, but never buy lollies myself, and my parties have minimal sugar. I do let them eat as much fresh fruit as they like, but we don't really have dried fruit, sultanas etc.
    The one thing hubby and the kids couldn't give up was tomato and BBQ sauce and these are full of sugar. I tried making my own for a while, but now you can buy a no added sugar sauce, fountain brand I think, that is sweetened with stevia and apple purée. Still has some sugar, but a good compromise in our house.
    Breakfast cereals are basically all out, we do have weetbix in the cupboard, and plain oats for porridge. I often have eggs for breakfast, or lately a vegetable stir fry, which sounds weird, but I've been really enjoying it.
    We do have takeaway or eat out about once a fortnight, and we now just have whatever, but I find I would never order the more sugary things like Chinese sweet and sour, as I find it way too sweet now, but you probably need to be careful of this in the beginning.
    It has totally changed the way I eat, and what I feed my kids, and after a few months it really just feels like normal.
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 07-09-2015 at 19:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Pretty much everything sweet is sugar. I'm not sold on natvia stevia as they tend to be so processed. I think if you can get dried stevia leaf powder that is the most natural but it's green and has a bitter taste (and is expensive).

I honestly think natural sweeteners such as dates, honey. Coconut sugar etc are ok for special occasions but if you want to start the sugar free journey these are not really sugar substitutes as they are still sugar, just replacing one kind of sugar for another... Best to avoid all cakes baking etc for the first month etc. so you can tame your palate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (07-09-2015)