+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is it normal

Is it normal for a 4 yr old to stare blankly at you or out the window when you try and explain something to them?

Is it normal for a 4 yr old to not be able to tell you what you JUST told them 5 seconds ago? Eg. 'If you don't put your shoes on then we're not going to the park' and then I ask DS 'what did mummy just say?' And he answers (in a Grumpy tone) 'nothing' or 'no!' Or 'leave me alone'

My DS does it all the time!!

Also EVERY time he hurts himself / feels sick / is tired etc, he just whinges and makes this extremely annoying screamy/ whingy sound. It drives me up the wall!! It makes my ears hurt and I get soo irritated because I'm so sick of hearing that noise!! I cannot understand what he wants or what has happened unless he tells me!! But instead he just does this screamy whingy noise.

Please tell me I'm not alone and that this behaviour is normal?

It's driving me mad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah sounds like my 4 yo DS.
    He often seems like he doesn't hear what I'm saying. I've had his hearing checked and it's fine. He's pretty bright. But yeah, I tell him something even if it's answering a question he asked me, and he says 'huh?' or ' I can't hear you' or ' I don't remember' when clearly he must because I just said it!! Drives me mad. I think it's a processing thing. He's taking it in.

Also when he hurts himself he won't tell me what's wrong, he just whines or cries. I ask him to use his words so I can help him, but he often won't for ages.

He also doesn't like telling me what he wants to eat. Just says "you know!! Get me something!" but everything I suggest is wrong. That absolutely drives me mental. He's hungry but won't tell me what he wants and won't accept anything he's given! No win situation.

I don't know. 4 has been the hardest age for us so far. He's nearly 5. Hoping it improves!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sadly, yep this seems very normal to me!

My 3 & 4 year old are both very similar to this. The point blank ignoring me drives me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Yeah sounds like my 4 yo DS.
    He often seems like he doesn't hear what I'm saying. I've had his hearing checked and it's fine. He's pretty bright. But yeah, I tell him something even if it's answering a question he asked me, and he says 'huh?' or ' I can't hear you' or ' I don't remember' when clearly he must because I just said it!! Drives me mad. I think it's a processing thing. He's taking it in.

Also when he hurts himself he won't tell me what's wrong, he just whines or cries. I ask him to use his words so I can help him, but he often won't for ages.

He also doesn't like telling me what he wants to eat. Just says "you know!! Get me something!" but everything I suggest is wrong. That absolutely drives me mental. He's hungry but won't tell me what he wants and won't accept anything he's given! No win situation.

I don't know. 4 has been the hardest age for us so far. He's nearly 5. Hoping it improves!!
    Thank you!! At least I know I'm not alone! They sound similar. I have to say 3-4 has been extremely difficult. We also have lots of tantrums and just general random outbursts of whinging.

It is extremely draining.

Like now, he's sick and it just drives me so crazy because I could honestly handle a 'sooky' child, I can handle crying because he feels sick, what I can't handle is SCREAMING and whinging because he's sick. There just seems to be something about it that triggers me to get so ****ed off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say it's normal. DS was like that when he was little but he is 8 now and has just been diagnosed with mild ADHD. So I would just keep and eye on the whole attention thing as your LO gets older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep...sounds pretty standard to me too. While my 4yo doesnt do the screechy thing, he does whinge A LOT, and many of the other things you and others have mentioned. I often feel like tearing my hair out and by the end of the day I'm realllly ready for his bedtime. 4yos are draining! Good news is...they do grow out of it (well my older 2 did, thank God!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, all normal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (07-09-2015)