+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Food wars

Our 3yo has become very hard to feed at dinner time. He turns down his favourite foods, refuses to try new foods, and will just cry at the dinner table. We've tried bringing dinner time ahead (thinking he was tired by dinner time), offering his favourite foods, saying no to food after 3pm so he doesn't fill up on snacks, putting him on the naughty box, sending him to bed without dinner if he refused what's offered (which results in him waking up hungry in the middle of the night). Help! He's driving me crazy 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumStarlight View Post
    Our 3yo has become very hard to feed at dinner time. He turns down his favourite foods, refuses to try new foods, and will just cry at the dinner table. We've tried bringing dinner time ahead (thinking he was tired by dinner time), offering his favourite foods, saying no to food after 3pm so he doesn't fill up on snacks, putting him on the naughty box, sending him to bed without dinner if he refused what's offered (which results in him waking up hungry in the middle of the night). Help! He's driving me crazy 😳
    Following I'm going insane too. 😱😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have just gone through this with DD2 who is 2y4m. Exactly the same. How long has it been going on? We just persisted with keeping the same routine (dinner at same time, must sit in her high chair even if upset - we would comfort her like rubbing back etc, offering same meals as us like always), and after about 4 weeks she's slowly going back to normal. No reason for it like teething or anything, I think she was just asserting her independence.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

MaximumStarlight  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been going on for about 2 weeks. Apparently one possible solution was to post on here haha! He ate 3 sausages for dinner tonight 😮 not exactly a balanced meal but it was way better than the usual drama. Fx for another win tomorrow night! I'd still love to hear any ideas or stories in case tonight was just sheer luck 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of the things you're trying are great ideas (although I'd skip the naughty box. I don't think it's good to associate food with punishment/reward). However, you've used lots of strategies in a short time. I'd be choosing one strategy and sticking to it for at least a week. Good luck!

Eta: we always offer savoury followed by 'dessert' (Greek yogurt and fruit). If DD refuses dinner, she can at least have something in her tummy, as we don't offer alternatives if she refuses. If she refuses dessert too, then she goes to bed hungry. I rarely try to coerce (although we all get desperate at times don't we?) and think that if she's hungry enough then she will eat what's she's offered.
    Last edited by quietlyhopeful; 06-09-2015 at 19:25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

MaximumStarlight  (06-09-2015)