+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kidney infection - advice

Hi there, I went to the doctor nearly two weeks ago with a UTI. He did a urine test which came back with blood and a lot of infection. I was given a dose of antibiotics and sent on my way. A week later I noticed I still had the UTI symptoms and now a horrible ache in my right kidney. Back to the doctor to be given another dose of antibiotics with a repeat and a cup to pee in after the 10 days.

I started taking my antibiotics yesterday morning and was able to take Panadol to help with the pain. Today I need panadene forte as the Panadol isn't touching it. Thank goodness I have some in the cupboard!

I have to travel away for a long awaited surgery for my son on Wednesday so am freaking out, hoping I'm ok by then as I really don't want to have to cancel.

I suppose what I would like to know is if you have had this before how long until your symptoms approved? What pain medication did you take if any? When should I be freaking out?

Thank you all for reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did the doc test the urine to see what antibiotics would work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup the first time he did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get an ultrasound referral. Kidney infections are dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'd definitely be going back to the doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sound like you have kidney infec, I've had a few abs ended up in hospital....you may need different antibiotics or even thru iv

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You probably need some IV antibiotics now (I'm an RN).
    Kidney infection can cause damage quickly.
    If your GP can't give you IV ab's in the morning, you'd best off going to ED.
    If your pain is that bad, go tonight.

Also if you see any blood in your urine you need to go ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

If you're concerned about your sons surgery, I would be inclined to head up to the hospital now, particularly if you're relying on Panadeine Forte. If you do need IV antibiotics, you're best getting onto them now. Clearly the pain has worsened if Panadol isn't cutting it. Did they send the urine away to pathology or just do a dip stick in the surgery? A proper urine culture takes 24-48hrs to come back with the antibiotics it's sensitive to, so the infection may be lingering if the antibiotics you're on aren't the right ones to kill the bug that's in your urine/kidney.

As a side note, a colleague of mine recently had pyelonephritis. She was off work for over a month and needed a long course of IV antibiotics including at least a week in hospital. She was quite sick for most of that month. If in doubt, get checked out!
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 06-09-2015 at 19:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kidney infections feel like someone is kicking you really hard there and it comes really really fast and felt really sick... If you think you may have it go get check it's painful and dangerous!