+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What should a 4 year old be able to draw/write

Hi,

My DS turned 4 in August and I am not sure where he should be developmentally with drawing.

He still holds a crayon in a fist. He goes to daycare 4 days a week and I am not sure if we as parents should be trying to teach him the pincer grip or if he should learn that at daycare or kindy next year.

Should we be concerned?

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son also recently turned 4. I definitely had to encourage him last year to use a proper grip. We also practice writing the alphabet, his name, numbers. We read to him every day and really sound out the words and point to each word so he is getting familiar with how each word looks etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mumsical. Is he able to write letters? How did you teach him to use a pincer grip? We read to my son every night and he seems to recognise his name but definitely does not know to write letters.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 was 5 in June and still holds a pen in a fist. I asked the kinder teacher about it and she said they don't worry about it, it's something he'll be taught in school (which he starts next year).
    He can write letters reasonably well and is rubbish at drawing. He doesn't enjoy drawing though so I'm not fussed. He'd rather play or build Lego.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The kindy teacher should raise concerns with you usually at mid year parent teacher meeting when you get your childs port folio. When ds1 was in kindy the teacher raised issues in the second term with his lack of being able to hold scissors and pencil properly so the OT worked with him for a term to improve his motor skills. Glad we had a teacher who was onto it. With ds2 in kindy this year he is doing great, he can write his name, hold a pencil and hold and cut with scissors and knows his letters, he is starting to sound out some words. I think at 4 it is the expectation, certainly by the end of the year anyway ready for pre primary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For pencil grip, hold the pencil in your non writing hand horizontally. Pinch the top with your other hand and then flip the pen into writing grip and tuck the other fingers in. I teach my guys the words, "hold, pinch, flip, tuck" write. It takes practice. They don't need to be there developmentally until they go to school but it certainly helps if it's natural by then.