+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 9hr labour with my first, and just under 2 hrs with my 2nd. I felt really shaky and quite in shock for a couple of hours after the birth...
    I struggle to remember much of what happened immediately after the birth whereas I can picture things quite clearly after my first longer labour.
    The fast labour wasn't straight forward so the stress of that wouldn't have helped but I did find it much too intense to feel calm and centred, and with the longer one I had time to adjust as things steadily progressed.
    I found talking to my midwife about all that happened helped greatly. And having a bit of time to adjust to the fact that this baby had arrived also helped me get over the shock/surprise...
    Give it some time and hopefully you'll find you feel more positive about it and less shocked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!
    Both of mine were fast. After the first, I would have struggled with anything different. I did feel a little like "what the hell... Where'd this baby come from?", (despite the 9 months to prepare and all :P), so just tried to focus on bub, with lots of skin-to-skin, until I felt like he was actually mine.
    If you're struggling with it, speak to a middie or later the MCHN. Debriefing can be really important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it's reassuring to know what I'm feeling seems to be the norm with quick deliveries.
    I also think part of is I went private and as I'm a bargain hunter feel ripped off I didn't get more use out of it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For my first, I had a quick birth. If I had known about back labour, I would have known that I was in labour all day! But when we went to the hospital to see what was going on, all hell broke loose and next thing I knew I had the midwife telling me to push and she was out!
    I am the same as the other ladies - I went into shock, but I was quite sad about my birth as I was so out of control and felt like a twit for screaming and swearing so much!!
    I felt like I to had been ripped off as I had prepared for the whole feeling of contractions and breathing through them! None of that!
    Also, you can see in my face in the very first photo of us, I am holding her and looking like 'where the eff did you come from?????'
    I had prepared myself to be 2 weeks over and induced and instead, she was 11 days early!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had a quick labour (3.5hrs from first pain). I wasn't traumatised, but easily could have been and understand why some are. It's intense and scary. For me, one second I was sleeping, the next I was in agony. My contractions started 4 minutes apart and 60 seconds long. No time to adjust or ease in to it. I know people say they're jealous of quick labours, but it's not always great. I was in physical shock (intense shaking etc.) for a while afterwards.
    It's still all very new, so hopefully time will help you heal mentally. Perhaps writing down your labour story might help you come to terms with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a short labor, 3hrs from waking up to baby in arms.

I much preferred my first labour that lasted 48 hrs (including pre labour of course!!).

I feel like I've been ripped off the experience... I enjoy giving birth and while I did enjoy the short labour it was just over too quickly 😌

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations!

That does all sound very overwhelming. I hope you can create a safe and quiet bubble around yourself and let your mind catch up. Try to keep the the visitors away and take the time now that you couldnt take in labour. Good luck. X

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

The Pushka  (07-09-2015)