+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default embryo lost by embryologist

Hi

I am 43 and have had 2 failed ivf, I had 2 frozen embryos which I elected to have both put back. I was devastated to be told the embryologist lost one of my embryos. They apparently both survived and were good quality but from the lab to theatre one was lost. After quite a bit of time the Dr decided to put one back at the risk of it drying up. When I say lost I literally mean he could not find it.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what was your result.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there,

I am absolutely stunned this can even happen! Granted, I'm pretty new to the scene, but how this could even be a possibility is beyond me.

I just wanted to say how sorry i am that you are going through this. The whole IVF thing is hard enough without that sort of thing happening.

Hugs to you love.

Krysta

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How very devastating for you
    a friend of mine had all embies accidently lost/destroyed !!!. They had a" free" fresh cycle .After tha,., But they are still looking for that elusive BFP..

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    that sounds very odd ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by issy miyaki View Post
    Hi

I am 43 and have had 2 failed ivf, I had 2 frozen embryos which I elected to have both put back. I was devastated to be told the embryologist lost one of my embryos. They apparently both survived and were good quality but from the lab to theatre one was lost. After quite a bit of time the Dr decided to put one back at the risk of it drying up. When I say lost I literally mean he could not find it.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what was your result.

Thanks for any advice.
    Never herd of this before, so sorry. Which clinic are you with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing, that's absolutely terrible! I thought they had checks on place to make sure that this type of thing doesn't happen! How can you have one and lose the other?! What have they offered you ? If you ding me asking where was this
    ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As if this journey wasn't hard enough 😔. Thinking of you today! Huge virtual hug and good luck with your onboard embie! Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds very peculiar to me..

I have done 8 fresh rounds of IVF with three separate clinics (2 clinics here and one overseas) and all clinics have had exactly the same processes and protocols in place..

That being the lab is right next to the theatre and that there were very stringent controls in place to do checks and balances (camera footage, time delayed footage, double checks when embryos are transferred to catheter tubing for transfer, double checks that catheter is clear after transfer.)

If you have a clinic admitting this I would be demanding either a) a free cycle with them or b) reimbursement of the cycle costs to pay for a cycle elsewhere..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No don't just push for a free cycle. You kick up such a big stink and demand several free cycles. Start my demanding that they cycle you for free till you're pregnant or give up. You're 43, embryos are hard to come by. That could have been your only chance.

I've lost an embryo to a broken straw in the freezer. Lab people do make mistakes. Although I'm sure you're upset make sure you use this to your advantage. Seriously chuck a wobbly and start talking lawyers (though I wouldn't bother following through as they're expensive and you would get sweet FA). Don't name the clinic here or you made lose your leverage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my post.

The clinic I have been attending is very highly respected and has a great reputation, the embryo was handled by the hospital embryologist and they do have very strict guidelines they follow. I understand that sometimes these things happen but unfortunately it does not make it ok for me. I am 43 so it is very hard getting viable embryos.
    I am told this occasionally happens, albeit very rare, when you are dealing with humans unfortunately mistakes will happen. Just because someone has never had a problem does not mean it does not happen for someone else.
    I don’t wish to say which clinic at this stage whilst we look at all our options.
    Thanks again.