+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What not to eat?

Hi again...! FTM (20) 7 weeks in... I know to stay away from soft cheeses and runny eggs and to make sure all meat and fish are cooked very well... But what else should I stay away from? I've heard procesed Delhi meats (Belgium etc) can be dangerous.. I've stayed away from such things but can't find any information that backs up what I've heard... I've read that some kinds of nuts are dangerous..? I don't have any allergies.. so are these claims because allergies can flare up? Can affect baby's growth and development? I admit that I snacked on junk food a little in my early earlier days but I don't seem to feel like that stuff anymore... There was a mud cake sitting here in the fridge for a couple days and I had one little slice.. Is this normal? I know that some women go off coffee and tea and deep fried foods ect but cake? I haven't had a single piece of chocolate either? And I love my chocolate... I've had no cravings, no morning sickness... I eat a vide range and variety of foods.. Fresh mostly (we have our own vegetable garden), but frozen and canned as well.. Should I stay away from frozen vegetables? Canned veges? What about canned tuna or sardines..? (Not the Mayo type.. Eww) baked beans? Dried fruits? I love banana chips.. Are they okay? Any advice or insight would be really great..
    Bits..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I probably won't remember it all but mostly you have to watch out for listeria. Some women and health professionals are more strict - others are not. It is all about your comfort level. Pretty much no soft cheese, wash all fruit and vege (all the 'washed' salads need to be washed again), no deli meats, sushi, raw fish. Tuna etc are fine just be careful about eating fish high in mercury. Have never heard of not eating nuts etc. With takeaway you need to be careful it is fresh and hot. Deli meat etc are ok cooked (as is soft cheese). In saying that - it is up to you! Listeria is very rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Tuna IS high in mercury @twinklify
    I have limited myself to one small can a week, but GP say 2/3 a week is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can have ham etc from the packet.
    You can have soft cheese that's pasteurised.
    Make your own sushi rolls at home (I ate it from shops)
    You should look at the guidelines and decide what you are comfortable with. The handling of food is the problem so unless you grow it yourself in a controlled environment it can be contaminated!!!
    Cook your meats well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if I was not clear. There is mercury in all fish. Canned tuna is lower in mercury (I do understand that there is tuna that is higher in mercury) which is why it is safe in pregnancy.

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/n55

There is a link for pregnancy nutrition guidelines if it is helpful for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im pregnant with bub 4, i remember with my first i was very stict with my diet and still managed food poisoning 3 times.
    With this pregnancy ive eaten everything from soft cheese, runny eggs, egg & mayo cafe sandwiches and takeaway.

Its up to your own comfort and personal time to keep an eye on everything you eat. Health professions say everything to confuse us, my Ob told me to worry about healthy choices rather than what may cause food poisoning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are some foods you should give up or cut down on during pregnancy, because they could cause food poisoning or harm your baby. You can find a list here http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x568574/...t-in-pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is a plethora of info on the web but you can't drive yourself silly with all the conflicting info. My advice? Don't over-complicate it. All nuts are fine. Any dried, packaged food is fine.
    A majority of food is fine. You only need to be careful of high risk foods (as in, if you accidentally ate them, you're most likely still totally fine). Essentially soft cheeses, deli meats, cold meat, raw meat. The risk increases the longer the shelf life of these products. And all are fine to eat once heated - so on pizza, in a hot quiche etc is fine. The biggest danger is listeriosis which is so rare in Australia most doctors have never ever come across a case, ever. Use common sense and don't freak out, we have excellent food standards in this country and 9 months is a long time to be questioning every single thing you put into your mouth.
    I came across an excellent in-depth paper from the new food standards if I can find again I will post the link. It's a 20 page doc but covers everything you need to know from a scientific angle, so you can make an informed decision on what you will and won't eat. But still, don't overthink it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The link - this is Australian so more relevant than UK/USA based websites etc.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/..._pregnancy.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    F