+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hydrocele surgery little boys

Hi!
    Just wondering if anyone has had a little boy undergo hydrocele surgery? I've spent a day researching this on the net, I was caught by surprise at the dr's office, and feel like I didn't ask enough questions.
    So if you've gone through this what were your experiences were, how long did the surgery last? What is recovery like? How long does recovery take?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following- my newborn son has it in his right testis at the moment and if it doesn't resolve at nine months of age then he might need surgery too. How old is your son?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fina14 For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (06-09-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds had a hydrocele. It went away on it's own. The gp never mentioned surgery but we did get an us of it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    Following- my newborn son has it in his right testis at the moment and if it doesn't resolve at nine months of age then he might need surgery too. How old is your son?
    My ds is now four. Apparently it more often then not does resolve itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    My ds had a hydrocele. It went away on it's own. The gp never mentioned surgery but we did get an us of it.
    I was under the impression from our pediatrician that it would just go away too, however, last time she checked it, she said we needed to see a urologist, and he said DS's will not resolve itself, that he'll need surgery

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I was under the impression from our pediatrician that it would just go away too, however, last time she checked it, she said we needed to see a urologist, and he said DS's will not resolve itself, that he'll need surgery
    I hope everything goes well! Did he have a us on it early on? My impression when ds had his was that they could see how severe it was.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I hope everything goes well! Did he have a us on it early on? My impression when ds had his was that they could see how severe it was.
    I can't remember when exactly I noticed it, it was at a few mths old, it wasn't a huge difference but one side definitely looked slightly bigger, and we were told it was nothing to worry about, no ultrasound, however, the difference is bigger now, one side of the testis is noticeably larger, we only just had our first ultrasound 2 days ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, our son had a hydrocele as newborn. At six week check up had gone down and was cleared by paed however went back up and down slightly over the next couple of years. One day when he was 4 years old his testes looked really swollen and took him to a pediatric urologist who did the surgery within the week and it was only a minor incision around his hip area and his recovery was fine. Discharged in a couple of hours and was wanting to play soccer within two days but had to try to keep him rested for the week. We were told they usually resolve themselves but if they don't the surgery is minor. Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2FourSons For This Useful Post:

sparklebug  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that @ Mum2FourSons
    I just assumed the incision would be on the scrotum, but read that it can be around hip/lower tummy which seemed a little frightening.
    We were told there would be some pain in the days after, obviously it wasn't anything too bad if you're little one was up and about so soon, that's a relief.

I feel so ridiculous freaking out about a minor day surgery, I just thought it would resolve itself, and did nothing about it, now I feel so guilty for not insisting we see a urologist sooner