+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also agree with Moxy.
    I didn't 'night train' my kids until their nappies were dry at night. So basically, until they were ready and able to hold it all in for the toilet in the morning!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is the same in the he won't even wake if he has wet, he will sleep in it until morning. We are seeing an ot at the moment, for him it's all related to body awareness (he is incredibly uncoordinated) but the ot said to not even wake when he is wet shows how low his body awareness is. We will work on the bed wetting eventually, but we are focusing on getting him used to his body & how it works first, the night time toileting should be a flow on from that. In the meantime he's back in pull ups. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is. I had my parents pressuring me to get him out of night nappies, like it was my fault he still needed them. Buy if he's not ready he's not ready and trying to force the issue will cause more harm then good. My son is nearly 5 by the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yet another saying that you can't force it. The brain has to develop the ability to keep specific muscles contracted during deep sleep, and wake the child if the bladder's too full. That happens with time, and is different for each child. Most doctors won't consider whether there could be anything 'wrong' until at least 7. Hell, I still remember wearing nappies to bed when I was 5.
    If the werting's consistent, then I'd give your son a simple version of how his body isn't ready and you'll try again another time, maybe with a reward for keeping the pull-up on with no fuss, since he doesn't want to wear them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as my 3yr old was trained during the day I just decided to not put a nappy on at night either. I actually put him to bed naked and also made sure he did a wee right before bed. He doesn't get up to wee during the night but never wet the bed either. He is 4 now and I've relaxed as he is so good. He sleeps in clothes and I'm pretty sure he does get up to go some nights.
    Maybe try putting him to bed naked and see if it helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a mum of a 7+ year old who is no where near night toliet trained and seeing a pead, I can honestly say you can't force the issue. It will come when they are ready and not a minute beforehand.

Our pead is of the belief (as well as GP and continence nurse) that there is no need to push the issue until they are 7-8 or it is an issue (emotionally) for them. We are only just now looking more into intervention once the weather is warmer. I don't want to get out of bed to wee in the cold, DS isn't silly and doesnt want to get cold either lol. So Summer it is, why make it even harder?

We have been recommended to make sure fluid intake is no less than 1 litre over the day, to increase bladder capacity so that when urine concentrates overnight his bladder can hold it. We do not restrict fluids at night but rather encourage more during the day.

Someone mentioned alarms? They aren't recommended until they get older. Until 7-8 it is completely normal to wet the bed as someone said, the body just needs a chance to make the hormones and make the neurological connections to say 'wake up'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wetting the bed as 4, 5, or even 6 and 7. Some kids just take more time.

We have done the whole, no nappy just sheets thing, well daddy did at his house, all that resulted in was a whole lot of washing for them. And we have taken a zombie and sat him on the toilet, he still wets every single night.

My DS has the will, he *really really* wants to be dry, what he lacks is the capacity and he is now old enough to give more options a try.

Comfort him and tell him that wetting is normal and until his brain and body catch up there is absolutely nothing wrong with pull ups.

All that said if you do decide to try something, give it a couple of weeks to try, but if it doesn't work, stop. Leave it a few months and then try again. It is completely disheartening for kids to keep on trying when they have no control over whether they are ready and will be successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice ladies

Last night he went to bed and I got up once around 3:30 to take him to the loo and when he woke in the morning he was still dry.

I was actually surprised!

I will keep doing what we are doing for a few night to see if he's getting the hang of things or if it's a once off, if he keeps wetting I will suggest nappies again.

Luckily he isn't seeing wetting the bed as a big deal, he's not upset by it. We aren't either.

I guess I am feeling a bit of pressure, my mum says that *i* was dry at night by 2... So she thinks most kids can do it around 2-3 I guess.

But I realise she's a bit old school and if I showed her this thread then she would probably realise she was wrong anywau

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you had a good night, hope it continues x

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS just turned 4 and he is still in night nappies although he is dry most mornings then he'll be wet for a couple of nights in a row then dry again for a couple of weeks. I'm just going to keep using the nappies til those occasional wet nights stop. He doesn't care about wearing the nappies and always goes to the loo before bed. Some nights he wakes to go to the toilet so I think he's getting there but there's no rush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Thanks for all the advice ladies

Last night he went to bed and I got up once around 3:30 to take him to the loo and when he woke in the morning he was still dry.

I was actually surprised!

I will keep doing what we are doing for a few night to see if he's getting the hang of things or if it's a once off, if he keeps wetting I will suggest nappies again.

Luckily he isn't seeing wetting the bed as a big deal, he's not upset by it. We aren't either.

I guess I am feeling a bit of pressure, my mum says that *i* was dry at night by 2... So she thinks most kids can do it around 2-3 I guess.

But I realise she's a bit old school and if I showed her this thread then she would probably realise she was wrong anywau
    Yay for the success. Hope it keeps up but, if not, I'm another who doesn't think that being dry overnight is something that you can train. Although all 3 of my kids have been dry at night from about 2.5 I take absolutely no credit for that whatsoever. Just lucky that in their genetic make up the switch that slows down wee production overnight works beautifully. They even resist going to the toilet first thing when they wake up and may not go for half an hour. Meanwhile my 3yo DD has had 2 daytime accidents today. So I'm safer having her in undies overnight than I am during the day! The other two were the same, dry overnight well before we had daytime under control. Luck of the draw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going to start night training over summer, DS is starting to Hate putting a night pull up on, i even said I could get Spiderman ones but he didn't like that idea either, he had a 4 hours sleep on saturday and was bone dry, I kept checking on him though just in case.

QQ - What brand Brolly sheets does everyone recommend? or could i make them myself?