+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night time toilet training

So DS is 4 and 4 months, he's been toilet trained in the day for about 18 months now but still wore nappies at night up until about a week ago.

So I just don't know how to tackle this.

1. He won't even attempt to go to the toilet on his own at night

2. He doesn't wake up when he wants to wee

3. He's wet the bed every night bar 2 nights. 1 of those I know he must have been dehydrated as his nappy was bone dry

4. We are having to get up 3/4 times ourselves to take him to the toilet because changing the sheets is a NIGHTMARE with his bed.

5. He refuses to wear nappies now.

6. I've tried training pants - night pull ups, and he knows it's basically a nappy and just wees in it anyway

What do I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few thoughts...
    -Can you restrict fluid intake for a few hours before bed?
    -Always take him to the toilet right before bed
    -Have a night light touch lamp in bedroom and a sensor lamp on the way to the toilet to encourage him to take himself at night or a kids torch
    -Get 2x brolly sheets and 2x normal bedding and make it up the bed double so if he wets one layer just pull it all off and the layer below is all ready. Then at least you don't have to remake the bed.
    - I haven't had to use them but there is also a night time bed wetting alarm program
    - if he'll wear the pull ups you could start a reward system about keeping them dry and then gets a present at the end of the week (or even do with undies)
    Last edited by bel2466; 04-09-2015 at 19:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh you have given me a good idea about the brolly sheets! Thanks!! Didn't even think of putting one on top of the other! Great idea

We try to limit fluid intake but he drinks a fair bit day to day anyway... He loves his water!

I have thought about a night light but we already have a sensor one in the bathroom, unfortunately it's right at eye level when you're on the toilet and he just screams and says it's too bright

We don't have any PowerPoints low to the ground on the way to the toilet. He also doesn't use a nightlight in his room, even thought I've suggested it a few times.

There is a nightlight he saw and likes so maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy it. It's so expensive though!!!

I don't know how to get him to wake when he wants to do a wee it's like he doesn't even realise and he has wet the bed a few times and just slept in it and not woken straight away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep start a new rule, no water after dinner. Buy the night light and a easy to turn on torch.
    Bribery works wonders. Find out his currency and plan a rewards system.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately there's not much you can do to make him wake up when he needs to wee. Dryness at night is based on development and a hormonal change that can happen up until the age of 6 or 7. It's very normal for kids to not be dry at night at his age. You can't reward him for doing something his body isn't ready to do.

That being said, have you tried taking him to the toilet just before you go to bed? It might help. But otherwise it's just time and patience.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

dido  (04-09-2015),LoveLivesHere  (04-09-2015),Maia  (05-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (04-09-2015),Skye Baby  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Unfortunately there's not much you can do to make him wake up when he needs to wee. Dryness at night is based on development and a hormonal change that can happen up until the age of 6 or 7. It's very normal for kids to not be dry at night at his age. You can't reward him for doing something his body isn't ready to do.

That being said, have you tried taking him to the toilet just before you go to bed? It might help. But otherwise it's just time and patience.
    I totally agree with this, I'd be keeping him in Night nappies until he wakes up dry every morning. You can't train them at night. It's different to daytime.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Maia  (05-09-2015),Skye Baby  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

I agree with this. I have three children and one was dry at night at four, one was five and the third was two and a half.
    I'd take them for a wee before I went to bed but really it had nothing to do with anything I actively did, it just had to click with them in their own time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, I agree with this too! When they are ready you will know. DD1 is only just now night time TT at 8.5 years (day time since 18months), DD2 was 3, DD3 was spot on 2 years and DD4 is 3.5 - she has an accident once or twice a week still but been out of night time nappies for over a year now.
    Our paed said it shouldn't be a cause for concern until they are nearing 8, anytime before that isn't a problem. I have good waterproof mattress protectors on the girls beds so no accidents go onto the mattress, no drinks after 6pm, toilet before bed and for the youngest i will put her on the toilet before I go to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am going against the grain here.. I would NOT restrict fluid intake. From what I understand this is not recommended. Neither is waking them up during the night to wee. Neither of these encourages the body to wake itself when the bladder is full, which is what you want.

I would persist with the brolly sheets and washing, which is a pain I know. Also ensuring he pees right before bed time. I have read that sugary drinks in the afternoon is not good for bed wetters, so I would just be sticking to water.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Maia  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I spoke to a nurse recently who had a son go through continence training. They were told to increase his fluid intake, not reduce it. Apparently it has something to do with increasing the sensation of needing to go (I guess making it stronger by having a fuller bladder).

My DD is just over 4 and has only been day trained for about 6 months, and we have only recently had consistent success with poo. I am not even considering night training any time soon. I will stop putting a night nappy on her when she wakes up dry every morning for a couple of weeks straight. I figure it'll happen when she's physically ready.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Maia  (05-09-2015)