+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Starting a Facebook/Etsy shop

I'm not sure I'd consider myself talented, but this seemed like the most relevant subforum.
    Basically I made some things and shared photos and got a huge response, and people seemed keen to buy if I made more.
    But this would really just be as a hobby, I'm not looking to earn an income from this and I don't want to have to deal with an actual business or taxes or anything. I'd be charging for the cost of materials and a few hours of my time (or does that count as income? :-P).

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to set up a casual shop with these restrictions? Would a Facebook or Etsy page work, or are they only for "official" businesses?
    Or should I just stick to private messages and word of mouth if I want to avoid the paperwork of running an actual shop?

I'd love to hear from WAHMs who do this sort of thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following as I am in a similar position at the moment however I would like to make and sell as much as I could to supplement income. I am currently looking at setting up an etsy page however at first glance it appears a bit complicated.. Probably just me... But I'm concerned at how you work out postage and how the customer will pay etc. Facebook is much more straight forward but still I'm wondering do they just pay direct deposit to your account? I sound clueless, I'm fine with technology but just nervous at the thought of how the money transaction will occur! Cash is so much easier so that made me think I should just sell locally via Facebook and possibly craft markets. Anyways I'd be interested at what other hubbers might be able to suggest. By the way I crochet and have fallen in love with it over the past few years so it would be great to turn that into something for me that would bring in some extra cash. How about you OP, what do you make?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I have a very low level etsy shop just for fun. It's pretty easy to suss out and run. Happy to PM you more details if you want :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had two Etsy shops. I still run one. It's quite easy once you start going through the steps. The way Etsy do payments now is the customer pays Etsy, then, when you mark the item as dispatched, Etsy pay the amount into your bank account. I've found Etsy to be far and away the easiest and best way to sell.

Re postage - you basically need to work out what it's going to cost you to post. Australia Post have a decent shipping calculator on their website. When you're setting up the items to have in your shop you get the option to say how much it will be to ship one item, two items etc as well. Usually Australia Post charge a particular price up to a certain weight (say between 1kg-3kg for the same price etc) so often you can send multiple items together for the same shipping cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtgirl View Post
    Following as I am in a similar position at the moment however I would like to make and sell as much as I could to supplement income. I am currently looking at setting up an etsy page however at first glance it appears a bit complicated.. Probably just me... But I'm concerned at how you work out postage and how the customer will pay etc. Facebook is much more straight forward but still I'm wondering do they just pay direct deposit to your account? I sound clueless, I'm fine with technology but just nervous at the thought of how the money transaction will occur! Cash is so much easier so that made me think I should just sell locally via Facebook and possibly craft markets. Anyways I'd be interested at what other hubbers might be able to suggest. By the way I crochet and have fallen in love with it over the past few years so it would be great to turn that into something for me that would bring in some extra cash. How about you OP, what do you make?
    I buy plenty from facebook and it's always been with Paypal, I expect I would do the same.
    I make highly personalised dolls/plush toys, basically 3D fabric caricatures of people. At least that's the plan, I've just made a set of my family so far

To the Etsy-ers, I guess I'm concerned that I'll end up with some kind of contractual obligation to Etsy, or I'll have to pay fees, or they'll claim rights to any images I use or something… I don't even know. Are there any issues like this to worry about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Following. I have a Facebook page but don't get many sales.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Etsy is quite simple to use once you've set it up. They take a cut (2.75%, I think) from each sale and the money is deposited into your bank account. It does take some work (learning about how Etsy works with search terms and so forth) but I like it. I have a Facebook page as well, but I don't sell directly from Facebook. I use it for publicity and link it to my Etsy shop.

I sell ceramics, which can make postage estimations tough. I use the Aus Post estimator and charge the highest estimate. Etsy lets you refund shipping overages if necessary.

The time consuming part is taking pictures of everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Belle

Just curious where do you source all the wrapping materials from for postage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you considered looking a markets around you? I love these kind of products but I'm much more likely to buy from my local monthly handmade markets. I have looked and found the cost of a stall to start at around $80-100. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh this thread!
    So I started a FB page, had 3 orders, made a few hundred dollars (which covered the materials I bought) and by the time I'd finished those I was thoroughly bored with that venture
    I really should start it up again!
    DS loves the ones I made for him :3

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (29-06-2016),Mamasupial  (29-06-2016)