Bali with kids? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bali with kids?

Hello!!

So, my sister is getting married, hooray! However, they have chosen a destination wedding, in bali. Bali is not a holiday destination that I'd ever have chosen, so I know very little about it, except for bali 9, death penalties, chapelle Corby and other drug related crimes, because of all the bad press, I've never chosen to travel there.

So here's the thing, as a single parent, with two little girls, (they'll be 6 and 4 for the wedding) should I attend? Is it safe? Really?

I'm saving like crazy, just so that I can attend this wedding.

Also, is there any other countries, cities, destinations that I could take the girls to? I'm thinking, I'll fly to bali, attend the wedding, then leave bali and go to somewhere amazing for a holiday with my girls before flying home.

Or maybe, is bali amazing? Should I just go there for an amazing holiday and be able to relax and enjoy myself without the need to flee to a "safer" country?

Any ideas, opinions, suggestions welcome. Please don't hold back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    The outer islands off Bali are lovely. Google Gili Air. Bali is a great place to visit. Just avoid Kuta, it's full of hideous Australians.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (03-09-2015),rosey82  (03-09-2015),Sethysmum  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bali with kids?

I love Bali, have been many times not with kids yet though. I think it would be a great destination for you! Lucky duck I wish someone I knew would get married in Bali.
    I'm of the opinion it's no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world. It makes sense to remember you're overseas & take all the usual precautions. That said I have never felt unsafe in Bali.
    I highly recommend TripAdvisor to get a feel for what to expect, there is so much info on there.
    We have many friends who take their kids to Bali. There is a lot of cultural stuff you can do: the dances, rice paddies, visit the temples, the volcano is pretty cool.
    Bali Safari Park is awesome & you can ride an elephant.
    Or just swim in the resort pool all day!
    You can also hire a nanny for about $5 per hour to help mind the kids if you need an extra pair of hands. There are recommendations on TripAdvisor.
    I second staying away from Kuta. It's awful.
    Do it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (03-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've traveled to Bali ( and other OS destinations) with my kids many times. I don't believe Bail is any less safe than most other Asian destinations. ..it is just well reported in the media due to the huge number of Aussies that travel there. The fears you mention are relevant almost everywhere and are highly unlikely to affect you (unless you enjoy using/carrying drugs ). What is probably more relevant is ensure you're health savvy while OS. Things like understanding traveller's gastro and food/water hygiene, rabies, mosquito borne disease etc. For example, in fact traveling to Balis outer islands has a lot more health risks than Bali itself (ie Lombok has malaria at times) and Bali has an international standard hospital.
    Bali is great and has a lot to offer outside of Kuta. If you are worried, stay at one of the big resorts..the kids will be happy to hang by the pool the whole time

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (04-09-2015),rosey82  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bali is absolutely beautiful. My parents took me and my siblings there since we could walk and we will take our children there. Bad things happen everywhere. Please don't let that deter you from the amazing holiday you will have, honestly you and your girls will love it!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissSparkles For This Useful Post:

preggasaurus  (04-09-2015),Sethysmum  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the replies so far.

Any one else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been frequent travelers to bali over the years with our children now 7 and 9. It is a great place to go with kids - so much to see and do. We love Sanur and always stay there now. There is so much accommodation to choose from and I love the balinese people - they are wonderful with the kids. My kids have been probably 12 times - the biggest problem we had was mozzie bites - but have learned to be vigilant with the bug spray. The ONLY time we go to Kuta is to go to Waterbom park for the day - other than that I dont go near the place. We have never had a problem with drunk aussies or drugs or really anything at all. Just be careful with hand washing etc and stick to the bottled water. We were stuck up there recently for a month due to the volcano - hasnt put me off in the least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would hate to go to Bali, especially with kids. Would not go even if it was for a close family members wedding. Too much money to waste on something I'd hate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think OP was asking the question of those who have actually been there!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (04-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was of the opinion that I would never go to bali until a friend talked us into it and we loved it. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Nusa Dua with our 2yr old and had an awsome time. So much so we have already booked a two week trip to the same place for next year.
    The balinese people are absolutely lovely and I felt completely safe at all times.