Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    When my mum came to Australia as a displaced person after WWII, she couldn't speak English, had nothing but the clothes on her back after living in a refugee camp in Germany for 5 years.

My mum is one of 10 children. I have a lot of cousins. Not one of my mum's brothers or sisters are on welfare, they all work. My cousins do too.

I'm not calling you a bigot, but you are generalising and making a lot of assumptions about these people.
    My grandparents moved to the US from Europe after WWII. Always worked, never received welfare, and my dad (also European born) fought in Vietnam in the US Air Force and later became an architect. Not refugees but economic immigrants due to the state of Europe. One of my dad's colleagues was a Hungarian refugee that escaped after WWII due to the Cold War.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-09-2015 at 18:22.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),Mokeybear  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is also 2015, a very different world from when our parents and grandparents immigrated. Anyway im not interested in arguing, im not on either side. As i said i can just see both points of view.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (06-09-2015),yadot  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heplus me, I get exactly what you are saying. Very similar to my earlier post, refugees REQUIRE health care, housing,transport, education or retraining,english classes, often social support and counselling services, welfare to survivie until such time that they are able to get a job. No one is suggesting that refugees are 'dole bludgers',just that it is unrealistic and unfair to dump someone in the middle of a new country with a language and culture completely different from their own, & not expect that they will require assistance. Some will get by on their own. Most will not. We need to be able to provide those resources for refugees, otherwise they will starve or get sick or be homeless. This means we need to be willing to pay more for our health care to cover the cost of others. We need to have FTB cuts so we can share the 'pool' of resources. Im happy to share,but I would bet my bottom dollar that the majority will complain at the first FTB cut. There comes a point where refugees are a 'financially contributing' member of society - but it is totally unfair to expect this on arrival. It takes an initial cost outlay that we have to be willing to pay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents and grandparents were immigrants - they did not speak a word of english. Yes, this was the 70's but you may be surprised at the resources available. You could work with limited to no english. And there are plenty of communities where any refugees can seek help and support. I wonder what ideas anyone has at to what we (as a nation) can/should do if we cannot or will not take refugees? I ask because I honestly don't know. Money can be given but for what? Where do the people stay?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Yes the world is different a different place. We have many more resources and sources of education available to us nowadays, also now incredibly easy to access.

Australia is wasting millions on it's current policy. That is where a lot money could/would come from.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-09-2015 at 19:09.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (07-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Speaking just from an economic point of view; whether low skilled or high, documented or undocumented, immigrants are good for a country. They create jobs and boost the economy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    It is also 2015, a very different world from when our parents and grandparents immigrated. Anyway im not interested in arguing, im not on either side. As i said i can just see both points of view.
    Yes, very different. Not sure what your point is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, very different. Not sure what your point is?
    My point is these days it is difficult to get a job if you cannot speak english well. Many jobs require certain Australian endorsed qualifications. You simply cannot live in a tent in the bush and get a job on the railroads these days. If it was so easy to start from scratch with nothing we wouldnt have homeless our streets.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes taking in refugees takes resources and committed investment from public and private enterprise, I don't think there is any argument there.

Are people suggesting we don't have the resources to support this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Speaking just from an economic point of view; whether low skilled or high, documented or undocumented, immigrants are good for a country. They create jobs and boost the economy.
    From an economic standpoint skilled migrants are better for the economy hands-down. Their contributions lead to higher rates of economic growth and standard of living. Unskilled migrants still generate some growth, just not as much and not the the same extent of increasing overall standard of living.

I'm not saying skills should be used as a basis for determining acceptance of refugees - not at all. Just that if Australia ends up taking in a large number of unskilled asylum seekers we will likely need to have more support mechanisms in place.
    Last edited by VicPark; 06-09-2015 at 20:25.