Closed Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Furthermore, this is Kobane where little Aylan and his family were from. I wonder what Tony Abbott thinks they should've done?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441514061.193967.jpg

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015),BettyW  (06-09-2015),HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Koarlo  (06-09-2015),snowqu33n  (06-09-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (06-09-2015),VicPark  (06-09-2015),Wise Enough  (07-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Yes but the habitable area of Aus is much less.

Please dont make out im an uneduacated bigot just because i can see both sides of the argument. Im not saying that we shouldn't be taking refugees. Im not saying they dont deserve help. Im just saying i understand that it is bigger then just saying 'do more'. The government has a whole plethora of things to consider in order to provide an adequate life for a large amount of refugees.
    Please also don't assume or make out that my views are warm and fuzzy or that they make me a bleeding heart without an understanding of a bigger picture. It's just as dismissive and offensive as being painted as a bigot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Please also don't assume or make out that my views are warm and fuzzy or that they make me a bleeding heart without an understanding of a bigger picture. It's just as dismissive and offensive as being painted as a bigot.
    I didn't aim that at you. I was talking about the government. Yes they can take a million people in so the rest of the world doesnt call us inhumane and everythings sunshine and rainbows, but they wouldn't have a proper life.

And no, being painted as a bigot when you are in no way racist is much more offensive. I should never have gotten involved in this conversation they always go the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Where's the evidence that we have called you an uneducated bigot? Nowhere.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do agree that we need to obviously be thinking how this affects the country. Can we house them? Can we find them work? So I do see what Heplusme is saying. But I think it's a bit of a myth that they come here, sit on welfare and breed generations of people who likewise sit on welfare. Of course there are lazy jerk refugees, just like there are lazy jerk Aussies. But I believe the vast majority want a home for their children that is safe, where their children can get an education and want to contribute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do agree that we need to obviously be thinking how this affects the country. Can we house them? Can we find them work? So I do see what Heplusme is saying. But I think it's a bit of a myth that they come here, sit on welfare and breed generations of people who likewise sit on welfare. Of course there are lazy jerk refugees, just like there are lazy jerk Aussies. But I believe the vast majority want a home for their children that is safe, where their children can get an education and want to contribute.
    I didn't say that they come and lazily sit on welfare. My thinking is that they are coming to a new country, with a language barrier, different customs, education levels and skill sets. It would not be easy for people to just walk into society and get jobs. I doubt many of the women would have much/if any work experience that would help them sustain their lifestyles here without payments.

Im not saying they are bludgers, its a consequence of their situation and sadly is the reality, many may find it much harder to settle then others therefore rely on the welfare system for longer. The government needs to factor these things in when considering their position.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-09-2015),VicPark  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

I'll try to find it but I am sure I have read an article recently debating the myth that migrants/refugees/immigrants arrive in a country and drain it's welfare resources. This argument is commonly given with the illegal Mexican immigrants in America and bottom line, they do the jobs that Americans that are actually on welfare think they are too good to do. One of the arguments for America's current immigration reform is that it will CREATE jobs.

Heplusme, you jumped straight to people calling you a bigot because they are not agreeing with you which is pretty unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't say that they come and lazily sit on welfare. My thinking is that they are coming to a new country, with a language barrier, different customs, education levels and skill sets. It would not be easy for people to just walk into society and get jobs. I doubt many of the women would have much/if any work experience that would help them sustain their lifestyles here without payments.

Im not saying they are bludgers, its a consequence of their situation and sadly is the reality, many may find it much harder to settle then others therefore rely on the welfare system for longer. The government needs to factor these things in when considering their position.
    As an immigrant and a child of immigrant parents from India - we didn't receive any govt support as my folks were too proud. Within 3wks mum landed a job after being a SAHP for 8yrs. Dad got a whole bunch of casual jobs till he landed a FT job a year later. This is despite the Australian govt refusing to acknowledge their degrees from India (eventually did). None of our other 'immigrant/migrant' family or friends ever applied for govt assistance either. Pride is strong among the displaced.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Koarlo  (06-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),Mokeybear  (06-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This article is a very simple explanation of the positive effect of immigration on a country:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...em-for-others/

Thanks
    Reviews

When my mum came to Australia as a displaced person after WWII, she couldn't speak English, had nothing but the clothes on her back after living in a refugee camp in Germany for 5 years.

My mum is one of 10 children. I have a lot of cousins. Not one of my mum's brothers or sisters are on welfare, they all work. My cousins do too.

I'm not calling you a bigot, but you are generalising and making a lot of assumptions about these people.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (06-09-2015),Pusheen The Cat  (06-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-09-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast