Closed Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Germany has pledged to take 1mill this year.

Australia has pledged to take 18000 by 2018. What the actual f$&&?!?! The crisis has been happening since 2011 and has reached epic proportions now.

We are a global joke. Our lack of humanity is making headlines across the world.

Instead we spend billions on inhumane detention centres and off shore processing to appease who knows?!? We have the capacity, we have the means. Our government is choosing not to. It's shameful.
    By comparison Germanys population is 80.62 million. Australias population is 23 million.

There is no way our infrastructure could support an influx of a million people who would inevitably be on welfare long term. We can't just take these people in and dump them in the desert and get the warm and fuzzys.. taking in refugees is a life long commitment to a family (the welfare cycle can continue for generations as the family settles and generations increasingly 'westernise'.

Are there a million government homes available? A million jobs? I am all for helping refugees however i do see the business end of the issue. The waiting list for government housing is already 10 years long in some instances.

I dont think its necassarily a lacking of humanity, but we need to consider all related issues.

Would you commit to adopting 10 children if you had a one bedroom house and couldnt feed or clothe yourself?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the last two years we've taken in 6000, absolutely pitiful. The liberals actually reduced numbers then brought it back up to 18,000 by 2018. But the overall number is still lower than what it was originally.
    The point is, we have the capacity to do more. I'm not saying we should take in a million but seriously... I just have to say it again, 6000?!!
    This is where our money is going...1441493815573.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

babyla  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    I know for a fact that there rural towns in Qld that are dying a slow death. I have a friend who recently visited the town she grew up in. Vacant houses, shops in the main street shut up. It is a result of kids who grew up there leaving for the city and then creates a downward spiral.

I work for an organisation that assists skilled migrants obtaining employment in rural remote towns. These towns are crying out for people in this particular profession. The irony is that by far the bulk of our clients are from the Middle East.

Yes, we do need infrastructure to house refugees and jobs for them, but there may be more out there than you think. Please remember that most the Syrian refugees are educated and middle class people who have always worked for a living. I would be surprised if they would come here to bludge of welfare for decades.
    I did not say they were coming to bludge for decades, but i imagine moving to a country with a different way of life, language, customs, education and skill requirements would take a fair bit of getting used to.

Yes we could house them in those abandoned towns you mentioned, but how do they get jobs? They open a local business, but who goes there to keep the business alive? I dont know. I just dont think its as simple as what people think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    By comparison Germanys population is 80.62 million. Australias population is 23 million.

There is no way our infrastructure could support an influx of a million people who would inevitably be on welfare long term. We can't just take these people in and dump them in the desert and get the warm and fuzzys.. taking in refugees is a life long commitment to a family (the welfare cycle can continue for generations as the family settles and generations increasingly 'westernise'.

Are there a million government homes available? A million jobs? I am all for helping refugees however i do see the business end of the issue. The waiting list for government housing is already 10 years long in some instances.

I dont think its necassarily a lacking of humanity, but we need to consider all related issues.

Would you commit to adopting 10 children if you had a one bedroom house and couldnt feed or clothe yourself?
    Me adoptIng 10 children is irrelevant.

Our country does not do its fair share globally in comparison to other countries also signatories to UN refugee convention. I'm not saying to take 1mill - thanks @HappyBovine for the %s saved me working it out. I'm not getting the warm and fuzzys, I've worked with refugee families for many years and the business end of the issue is that we don't live in a vacuum, we are part of a global problem and we have an obligation to be an active part of the solution. We take in .29% of the worlds refugees.
    Last edited by babyla; 06-09-2015 at 10:40.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (06-09-2015),HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

You have made some huge generalisations there. Show me the proof that asylum seekers and refugees become reliant on welfare.

The population of Germany is not relevant here.Germany is tiny compared to Australia.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 06-09-2015 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Read up on the Kosovo refugees around 2000 in Albury-Wodonga who per capita are a huge supporter of taking refugees. These people quickly integrated, got meaningful jobs (many of which Aussies refused to do) and paid their tax. 15 years down the track their children are now in universities studying law and medicine. Some were so settled and happy, when it looked like they may have been sent back they attempted suicide rather than go back to civil war.

Multicultural resources, social workers etc were brought in to teach them English, the community supported them keeping their culture and not surprisingly they were seen as an asset to the community.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (06-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-09-2015),Koarlo  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to note that people are incredibly resilient, it doesn't take long for 'businesses' to crop up in refugee camps. Finding resources to buy, sell and barter. The slums in India are the same. I'm sure if we housed them in quiet outback towns as mentioned in previous posts, they would find a way to make it work and most likely prosper. I've been to Syria myself and have witnessed how skilful they are in making a living for themselves in ways you couldn't imagine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You have made some huge generalisations there. Show me the proof that asylum seekers and refugees become reliant on welfare.

The population of Germany is not relevant here.Germany is tiny compared to Australia.
    Yes but the habitable area of Aus is much less.

Please dont make out im an uneduacated bigot just because i can see both sides of the argument. Im not saying that we shouldn't be taking refugees. Im not saying they dont deserve help. Im just saying i understand that it is bigger then just saying 'do more'. The government has a whole plethora of things to consider in order to provide an adequate life for a large amount of refugees.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-09-2015),VicPark  (06-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Yes but the habitable area of Aus is much less.

Please dont make out im an uneduacated bigot just because i can see both sides of the argument. Im not saying that we shouldn't be taking refugees. Im not saying they dont deserve help. Im just saying i understand that it is bigger then just saying 'do more'. The government has a whole plethora of things to consider in order to provide an adequate life for a large amount of refugees.
    I didn't say you are a bigot. But you did say that if we did take 1 million refugees they would inevitably end up on welfare. Majority of these people are skilled. Migration to Australia is a good thing. The benefits to Australia far outweighs the costs.

This government's attitude towards these people is despicable.

Thanks
    Reviews

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast