Closed Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I totally understand that some people dont have the capacity to care or think more deeply about the issue. No worries! But some of us ARE interested in discussing the issue more deeply. Looking at it on a world scale,understanding the who &the why & the how much,etc - thagt interests me. I DO care about the number. I want us to take the most amount we are able to. So I think it's ok that some of us want to discuss these things too?I still want to wrap up every little refugee boy and girl and take every single one in my arms and give them food and shelter and safety. While I'm at it,I would love to head to Africa and collect all of the starving kids there. I hate suffering. I hate that there is so much evil in the world. But it's OK to talk about what we are doing,what we can do, &why we do/do not do more.
    Well maybe those of you who ARE ABLE could make a spinoff?
    It's totally ok to talk about but I think most in here are incapacitated with thinking about the Syria thing.
    Genuinely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Well maybe those of you who ARE ABLE could make a spinoff?
    It's totally ok to talk about but I think most in here are incapacitated with thinking about the Syria thing.
    Genuinely.
    I guess I think that conversations naturally evolve and progress & this is acceptable?I admit I am not an 'emotionally driven' person. I am a 'factually driven' person. So if this thread was intended just for the emotional expression, I will bow out,I guess I just find the facts helpful too in guiding rhe conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess I think that conversations naturally evolve and progress & this is acceptable?I admit I am not an 'emotionally driven' person. I am a 'factually driven' person. So if this thread was intended just for the emotional expression, I will bow out,I guess I just find the facts helpful too in guiding rhe conversation.
    I think it was emotionally driven and maybe you should bow out? I don't know! That's up to you really but you can always start a thread for fact driven people - it'll probably turn to ****e like this one nearly did but that's the nature of the hub!
    I know that personally I'm talking about Syria in this thread.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What exactly are you wanting from everyone? Plenty of us have been participating in a conversation and providing links with the knowledge/facts as we understand them. Perhaps if you have specific way you want the conversation to go then you should start a spin off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What exactly are you wanting from everyone? Plenty of us have been participating in a conversation and providing links with the knowledge/facts as we understand them. Perhaps if you have specific way you want the conversation to go then you should start a spin off.
    ...no?! Not at all. I was actually responding to PP who said the current conversation is inappropriate. I havent said that I am wanting anything from anyone?!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post

You have to agree there are alot of arm chair experts though..i mean, unless there's a few Tony Abbotts incognito
    On this issue, Tony Abbott is clearly not an expert. Armchair or otherwise!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ...no?! Not at all. I was actually responding to PP who said the current conversation is inappropriate. I havent said that I am wanting anything from anyone?!
    And that person - I assume you were referring to me? Is out of this thread so please feel free to tangent away!
    I'm sick and I'm tired and probably shouldn't have ventured into this thread.
    Apologies to all and to all a good apology.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=SixtiesChild;8285601]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

What you have mentioned are different varieties of Islam that often conflict each other but this does not excuse why they are not following one of the 5 pillars of Islam- to help the poor.
    Are you saying that there are no people among the refugees that are Sunni muslim?
    I believe they are not part if the UN convention which take refugees so they pretty much do not care. I have read that they do take in refugees but pretty much work them as cheap labour and these people have no rights and can be deported etc. Which is why they do not flee there (if that is the case I get why they don't want to go somewhere else they are persecuted) but I could also be wrong.

Also, re: detention centres/criminals etc it sits wrong with me that essentially we put everyone in a 'prison' assuming they are guilty rather than innocent. And how are we to know the criminals are bad people? Do we differentiate those that are punished by their governments and imprisoned for nothing they have done?

I keep thinking that when it comes to law/justice everyone is innocent until proven guilty (yeah I have been watching law and order while sick lol) but for refugees it seems th e opposite...

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, absolutely it doesn't mean they are criminals. But I guess..... some....? are? I don't know, are there statistics on the 10% who are not granted refugee status? Who are they, and why do we refuse them asylum? Are we too strict on who we allow to grant asylum to?
    I will have a stab. I always hear on news/read that they do not fulfill the criteria for being a refugee i.e. not persecuted, also not economic. Tbh, I do not recall anything said about refusing due to criminal status

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Maybe if those refugees weren't stuck in hellish camps for years they would be less traumatized? Some of those ppl fleeing to Europe have been in camps in Lebanon or Jordan since 2011!!! What they thought was a brief stay to avoid the civil war has ended up being a long drawn out affair that doesn't look to end soon.
    Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding. I don't disagree with you. All I'm saying is that thise who have been through hellish experiences may need more help upon arrival than your father did as they may find things to be more difficult...?

Not trying to be argumentative.