Closed Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think it's impossible that people with families aren't criminals. But as someone pointed out, just because one person might not be a genuine refugee, does that automatically make them a criminal? Or just someone who wants a better life?
    No, absolutely it doesn't mean they are criminals. But I guess..... some....? are? I don't know, are there statistics on the 10% who are not granted refugee status? Who are they, and why do we refuse them asylum? Are we too strict on who we allow to grant asylum to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    No, absolutely it doesn't mean they are criminals. But I guess..... some....? are? I don't know, are there statistics on the 10% who are not granted refugee status? Who are they, and why do we refuse them asylum? Are we too strict on who we allow to grant asylum to?
    I think this is going way off track. It's obvious there's a crisis, and it's obvious they need help. It's way beyond trying to give people a 'status'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    These guys do amazing work @cheeeeesecake here's a report which you might be interested in

http://www.asrc.org.au/wp-content/up...y2013FINAL.pdf
    Thanks, I follow the ASRC on facebook. There was a lot of basic info that is not 'new' in the report (eg, asylum seekers are not illegal, queue jumpers, etc) - more suited to the "go back where you came from" type mentality. So there was nothing that really answered the questions I was asking.
    I did find it really interesting that they were defending the people smugglers in the report, with the basic gist being that people smugglers are not all "pay me everything you have & I will put you on this rickety boat with a promise of entry straight into Australia, no questions asked". People smugglers were painted as being altruistic in what they do, which I do find interesting and something to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had to share 1441716856514.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    I think this is going way off track. It's obvious there's a crisis, and it's obvious they need help. It's way beyond trying to give people a 'status'
    Absolutely, and I totally agree that there is an obvious need we need to fulfil. It IS off track of the original topic, I guess we evolved into talking about asylum seekers in general, why they spend so long in detention, why not all asylum seekers are accepted into community detention, etc. I think these are healthy conversations to have surrounding the issue. I'm sorry if others disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think and this is a genuine "I think" that with this current human emergency that these refugees are genuinely fleeing for their lives.
    Syria is a hot mess and children are dying - I'm trying not to be emotive for the sake of it but I'm willing to take a chance on that 10% being criminals.
    I mean heck, what crimes? How many of the general public are psychopaths? I sometimes feel like this 10% of what ifs are like a boogeyman that's dangled in front of us as some sort of anti-carrot in the refugee conversation (disclaimer - I'm unwell and still aware I said anti-carrot but my thoughts aren't as coherent as I'd like)
    I don't know about too strict about who we grant refugee status to but I know that offshore detention is b.a.r.b.a.r.i.c
    I feel at this point in time, right now, we have a responsibility as humans to provide asylum to Syrian refugees and I believe we have the capability to do so.
    I guess ultimately, for me personally, the 10% doesn't matter - my eye is on that 90%.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),Moxy  (09-09-2015),TheGooch  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=BigRedV;8285624]
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post

Yes, they are different variants of Islam. I don't know why they aren't taking any in. How do you know they aren't? How do you know they don't already help the poor? I'm not saying there aren't Sunni Muslims escaping. You asked, I don't know the answer. I was just guessing.
    People were talking about it on the news and on the radio this afternoon with radio commentators confirming this to be the case that these countries are not taking ANY Syrian refugees.
    Actually it's quite an important concern because they really don't seem to care about them. These are their neighbors & this is a very serious humanitarian crisis, unequalled since world war 2. These countries are SO wealthy that they could accomodate quite comfortably 100's of thousands of refugees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

This article touches on the Gulf states and Syria.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34173139
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-09-2015 at 23:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=SixtiesChild;8285660]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

People were talking about it on the news and on the radio this afternoon with radio commentators confirming this to be the case that these countries are not taking ANY Syrian refugees.
    Actually it's quite an important concern because they really don't seem to care about them. These are their neighbors & this is a very serious humanitarian crisis, unequalled since world war 2. These countries are SO wealthy that they could accomodate quite comfortably 100's of thousands of refugees.
    It's bloody awful that these nations aren't going to step up but I don't know that it matters in terms of what Australia can do. It again just seems like a bit of a strawman?
    I don't care what Germany does or doesn't do and don't care what the Middle East does or doesn't do. Australia CAN do more and we should do - I don't care about the number, 20,000, 30,000 - I'm not saying one million dumped in the middle of nowhere.
    We have the infrastructure to cope with this easily.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand that some people dont have the capacity to care or think more deeply about the issue. No worries! But some of us ARE interested in discussing the issue more deeply. Looking at it on a world scale,understanding the who &the why & the how much,etc - thagt interests me. I DO care about the number. I want us to take the most amount we are able to. So I think it's ok that some of us want to discuss these things too?I still want to wrap up every little refugee boy and girl and take every single one in my arms and give them food and shelter and safety. While I'm at it,I would love to head to Africa and collect all of the starving kids there. I hate suffering. I hate that there is so much evil in the world. But it's OK to talk about what we are doing,what we can do, &why we do/do not do more.