Closed Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=BigRedV;8285553]
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post
    Here's a question that no one is asking; Why are the very wealthy gulf states of the middle east NOT helping the Syrian refugees?
    United Arab Emirates? , Quatar?, Kuwait?, Oman?, Saudi Arabia?
    It came to my attention that they are taking in none.
    Does anyone else find this odd? Actually I find it a disgrace, Especially since these countries are mega-rich.[/

No. It's not strange.

In Saudi Arabia and UAE the majority of them are Sunni. In Oman, they are Ibadi which is a traditional orthodox version of Islam. In Qatar they are Wahhabi. The people who are fleeing would probably be persecuted in those countries as well due to them being minority Christian groups or Shia Muslims.

That would be like all the Catholics moving to the Protestant part of Belfast during the troubles.
    What you have mentioned are different varieties of Islam that often conflict each other but this does not excuse why they are not following one of the 5 pillars of Islam- to help the poor.
    Are you saying that there are no people among the refugees that are Sunni muslim?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SixtiesChild For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'll find the stats but a vast majority of asylum seekers are found to be true refugees and those that are not and are sent back aren't always criminals, they may be economic migrants, but not criminals. You're kinda taking the stand that it's ok to profile a vast majority of people, detain them like criminals because 1 *may* be a criminal.
    I'm going to be honest here, I find you really hard to have a discussion with, because you tend to put words in my mouth. You did the same to heplusme earlier in this thread. You think I am saying things I am not. I am trying to have an open and frank discussion about the issue. Please stop putting words into my mouth.

I am not at all profiling a majority of people, I am not saying that refugees are all criminals. I have said that 90% of asylum seekers are genuine refugees. I asked a few pages back - who are the remaining 10%? I never said that they are criminals. I said that I wonder if a lot of our resources and money are spent processing the 10% and finding out who they are, why they are in Australia. I don't know WHO these 10% of non genuine refugees are, why they are here.... I am asking the question, not making any assumptions. I was just speculating that perhaps we don't have refugees in the community because some are high risk for dangerous behaviour? Is that why? I am asking, not saying. But is it a small enough risk that we take the risk for the sake of those 90%? Again, I am asking, not saying. GENUINE QUESTION!!!!!! NOT BEING A SMART AR$E.

I also asked - what DO other countries do? Do they accept the refugees into the community, knowing that the risk that any are dodgy/ criminals/ going to do a runner/ whatever the risk is, do they know that the risk is so small that it is worth taking that small risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I'm going to be honest here, I find you really hard to have a discussion with, because you tend to put words in my mouth. You did the same to heplusme earlier in this thread. You think I am saying things I am not. I am trying to have an open and frank discussion about the issue. Please stop putting words into my mouth.

I am not at all profiling a majority of people, I am not saying that refugees are all criminals. I have said that 90% of asylum seekers are genuine refugees. I asked a few pages back - who are the remaining 10%? I never said that they are criminals. I said that I wonder if a lot of our resources and money are spent processing the 10% and finding out who they are, why they are in Australia. I don't know WHO these 10% of non genuine refugees are, why they are here.... I am asking the question, not making any assumptions. I was just speculating that perhaps we don't have refugees in the community because some are high risk for dangerous behaviour? Is that why? I am asking, not saying. But is it a small enough risk that we take the risk for the sake of those 90%? Again, I am asking, not saying. GENUINE QUESTION!!!!!! NOT BEING A SMART AR$E.

I also asked - what DO other countries do? Do they accept the refugees into the community, knowing that the risk that any are dodgy/ criminals/ going to do a runner/ whatever the risk is, do they know that the risk is so small that it is worth taking that small risk?
    I was meaning a general 'you'......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Hmmmm maybe I am too impatient, lol. But I have posted 2 posts on page 20, questions and discussions I have (Tentatively) become involved in here before, and no-one can ever answer. Impatiently waiting reply @BigRedV :P
    I just saw this now. I'm on app so don't know which page is page 20 and not sure which questions you want answered. What are they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Originally Posted by BigRedV
    Look, under Australian law, ANYBODY who is in Australia without a valid visa must be taken to a detention centre. That is in our migration act. But there are exceptions. Community detention is an alternative and should absolutely be used for children, women and families. Currently there are about 800 children in detention.

Attachment 73414

Again,I hate kids in detention&I totally get that. But is it completely impossible that someone with a wife or children could be dangerous in the community?Is that why the entire family is detained if there is a question mark over one family member? Would it be better to detain one member & separate the family? Or detain both parents &put the kids into foster care in australia?Again not being a smart ar$e,wanting to find a better way. The local community detention centre near me mostly had families. But can someone not be unsuitable/ a criminal/etc because they have children? Or do we say that the risk is so low that someone is not genuine (only 10%), that we take that as an acceptable risk in the community for the sake of the children of the 90%?

..... genuine questions above. Not being a smart ar$e. I promise. In fact, to save us all time, please assume from this point onwards that all my questions are genuine and I am not being a smart ar$e ever, unless I post this smiley
    after my question

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    [QUOTE=SixtiesChild;8285601]
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

What you have mentioned are different varieties of Islam that often conflict each other but this does not excuse why they are not following one of the 5 pillars of Islam- to help the poor.
    Are you saying that there are no people among the refugees that are Sunni muslim?
    Yes, they are different variants of Islam. I don't know why they aren't taking any in. How do you know they aren't? How do you know they don't already help the poor? I'm not saying there aren't Sunni Muslims escaping. You asked, I don't know the answer. I was just guessing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's impossible that people with families aren't criminals. But as someone pointed out, just because one person might not be a genuine refugee, does that automatically make them a criminal? Or just someone who wants a better life?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=BigRedV;8285624]
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post

Yes, they are different variants of Islam. I don't know why they aren't taking any in. How do you know they aren't? How do you know they don't already help the poor? I'm not saying there aren't Sunni Muslims escaping. You asked, I don't know the answer. I was just guessing.
    It's been reported that few mid-east countries are not, or at least doing very little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    These guys do amazing work @cheeeeesecake here's a report which you might be interested in

http://www.asrc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MythBusterJuly2013FINAL.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a look on a map, you can see what their options are. They can get to Turkey, Lebanon or Jordan. I'm not even sure if they can pass through Jordan given the tight security and difficult terrain. I'm not sure what policies the other middle eastern countries have but in Jordan for example, they are not allowed to work, go to school, rent a home, receive welfare etc etc.
    Edit. This map is from 2014 so you can imagine the Islamic State controls a much larger area. 1441715909765.jpg