Closed Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 287
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    There are many people here who work with asylum seekers or who volunteer with organisations that manage re settlement. Others are passionate about the issue and research and investigate beyond what is regurgitated via commercial media through organisations such as ASRC, UNCHR and Amnesty International.

    Suggesting people are arm chair experts is an ad hominem approach to debate especially if you're unable to support your own claims with any substantial evidence or data.

    And yanno sometimes a meme says it better.
    I dont have any claims to substantiate. I am neither for or against, i am Switzerland. I can see the argument from both sides of view.

    You have to agree there are alot of arm chair experts though..i mean, unless there's a few Tony Abbotts incognito

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    cheeeeesecake  (08-09-2015)

  3. #212
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,371
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked
    1,769
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Again,I hate kids in detention&I totally get that. But is it completely impossible that someone with a wife or children could be dangerous in the community?Is that why the entire family is detained if there is a question mark over one family member? Would it be better to detain one member & separate the family? Or detain both parents &put the kids into foster care in australia?Again not being a smart ar$e,wanting to find a better way. The local community detention centre near me mostly had families. But can someone not be unsuitable/ a criminal/etc because they have children? Or do we say that the risk is so low that someone is not genuine (only 10%), that we take that as an acceptable risk in the community for the sake of the children of the 90%?

  4. #213
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,708
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked
    2,784
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 cents: you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

    Back to lurking and silently cheering you damn bleeding heart lefties 😉

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (09-09-2015)

  6. #214
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The 'ol 'I get so much support via PMs' chip eh. You think you're the only one that gets PMs? 😂😂😂😂
    Aww, i dont get PMs! Damn it! #unpopular

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

  8. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,371
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked
    1,769
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I've been at swim lessons and responding during my walk to and from (see, there's a life there ������) but which questions are you referring to? I've responded to cost and felt BigRed did a good job answering the others.

    I'll ask you this though. How do other countries get away with refugees entering their borders and NOT putting them into detention?

    Honestly, I don't know. What DO other countries do? Are other countries as strict as us as to who they accept? Are we too strict? Are they too lenient? Do they take the risk of the 10% non genuine, for the sake of the good of the 90% who ARE genuine? I would be interested to find out. Are you in the UK? What happens there?

  9. #216
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Not sure what your point is..
    I'm also not being cryptic. Was mud way burping my 8 week old so was short post. I don't get what your point is around people not answering q's? I think with some things like why are people in detention so long - is a bloody great question because I'ce never heard any politician answer it. So I'm interested in that too.

  10. #217
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm also not being cryptic. Was mud way burping my 8 week old so was short post. I don't get what your point is around people not answering q's? I think with some things like why are people in detention so long - is a bloody great question because I'ce never heard any politician answer it. So I'm interested in that too.
    Edit * quoted myself due to extreme burping situation but was responding to @Cheeeesecake

  11. #218
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    3,644
    Thanked
    3,453
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    ...
    I'll find the stats but a vast majority of asylum seekers are found to be true refugees and those that are not and are sent back aren't always criminals, they may be economic migrants, but not criminals. You're kinda taking the stand that it's ok to profile a vast majority of people, detain them like criminals because 1 *may* be a criminal.

  12. #219
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I dont have any claims to substantiate. I am neither for or against, i am Switzerland. I can see the argument from both sides of view.

    You have to agree there are alot of arm chair experts though..i mean, unless there's a few Tony Abbotts incognito
    I actually wasn't offended by what you, cheesecake or others have said in the thread thus far. I don't agree with some of your points, but I get what you are saying in others i.e. that there has to be a planned systematic approach as there a lot to put in place.

    I don't claim to know all the facts, I'm no expert. But the comments by one person are just completely untrue. I don't need to hold a front bench to know the hell in Syria right now is not being exaggerated, nor that asylum seekers are causing over population given their tiny numbers. That's not being an arm chair expert, it's having basic common sense.

  13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (08-09-2015),BettyW  (09-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-09-2015),twinklify  (09-09-2015)

  14. #220
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,210
    Thanks
    3,644
    Thanked
    3,453
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Aww, i dont get PMs! Damn it! #unpopular
    You'll get there! 😉


 

Similar Threads

  1. Help distressed trigger warning
    By Mummy12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 08:09
  2. What would you do if...(trigger warning)
    By ozeymumof5 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!