Closed Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    There are many people here who work with asylum seekers or who volunteer with organisations that manage re settlement. Others are passionate about the issue and research and investigate beyond what is regurgitated via commercial media through organisations such as ASRC, UNCHR and Amnesty International.

Suggesting people are arm chair experts is an ad hominem approach to debate especially if you're unable to support your own claims with any substantial evidence or data.

And yanno sometimes a meme says it better.
    I dont have any claims to substantiate. I am neither for or against, i am Switzerland. I can see the argument from both sides of view.

You have to agree there are alot of arm chair experts though..i mean, unless there's a few Tony Abbotts incognito

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Again,I hate kids in detention&I totally get that. But is it completely impossible that someone with a wife or children could be dangerous in the community?Is that why the entire family is detained if there is a question mark over one family member? Would it be better to detain one member & separate the family? Or detain both parents &put the kids into foster care in australia?Again not being a smart ar$e,wanting to find a better way. The local community detention centre near me mostly had families. But can someone not be unsuitable/ a criminal/etc because they have children? Or do we say that the risk is so low that someone is not genuine (only 10%), that we take that as an acceptable risk in the community for the sake of the children of the 90%?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 cents: you're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Back to lurking and silently cheering you damn bleeding heart lefties 😉

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),TheGooch  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    The 'ol 'I get so much support via PMs' chip eh. You think you're the only one that gets PMs? 😂😂😂😂
    Aww, i dont get PMs! Damn it! #unpopular

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I've been at swim lessons and responding during my walk to and from (see, there's a life there ������) but which questions are you referring to? I've responded to cost and felt BigRed did a good job answering the others.

I'll ask you this though. How do other countries get away with refugees entering their borders and NOT putting them into detention?

Honestly, I don't know. What DO other countries do? Are other countries as strict as us as to who they accept? Are we too strict? Are they too lenient? Do they take the risk of the 10% non genuine, for the sake of the good of the 90% who ARE genuine? I would be interested to find out. Are you in the UK? What happens there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure what your point is..
    I'm also not being cryptic. Was mud way burping my 8 week old so was short post. I don't get what your point is around people not answering q's? I think with some things like why are people in detention so long - is a bloody great question because I'ce never heard any politician answer it. So I'm interested in that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm also not being cryptic. Was mud way burping my 8 week old so was short post. I don't get what your point is around people not answering q's? I think with some things like why are people in detention so long - is a bloody great question because I'ce never heard any politician answer it. So I'm interested in that too.
    Edit * quoted myself due to extreme burping situation but was responding to @Cheeeesecake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I'll find the stats but a vast majority of asylum seekers are found to be true refugees and those that are not and are sent back aren't always criminals, they may be economic migrants, but not criminals. You're kinda taking the stand that it's ok to profile a vast majority of people, detain them like criminals because 1 *may* be a criminal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I dont have any claims to substantiate. I am neither for or against, i am Switzerland. I can see the argument from both sides of view.

You have to agree there are alot of arm chair experts though..i mean, unless there's a few Tony Abbotts incognito
    I actually wasn't offended by what you, cheesecake or others have said in the thread thus far. I don't agree with some of your points, but I get what you are saying in others i.e. that there has to be a planned systematic approach as there a lot to put in place.

I don't claim to know all the facts, I'm no expert. But the comments by one person are just completely untrue. I don't need to hold a front bench to know the hell in Syria right now is not being exaggerated, nor that asylum seekers are causing over population given their tiny numbers. That's not being an arm chair expert, it's having basic common sense.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2015),BettyW  (09-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-09-2015),Mokeybear  (08-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-09-2015),twinklify  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Aww, i dont get PMs! Damn it! #unpopular
    You'll get there! 😉