Closed Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hadn't the mental space to start a thread on this yesterday, I wanted to but I just couldn't. I'm so heavy hearted and nothing seems real at the minute.
    I've been crying at random things and I thought, jees get a grip, but no, it should be affecting us deeply.
    We shouldn't be able to see those images and move on.

The reality is these people need help.
    They need to be taken in.
    I'm disgusted at the attitudes of some that say, oh we can't deal with our own homeless so we just can't take any in. Really?
    I think these poor people would gladly sleep on the streets compared to what they're fleeing from.
    Closing doors and hearts to those vulnerable and suffering is not the world I want to live in. I don't have all the any answers or suggestions about how we go about helping but we all know it could so easily be any of us in that situation.
    Trying to keep asylum seekers out is like trying to keep one shiny room in a dilapidated house. The world is changing. We need to embrace it and not let it become something we look back on with humiliation.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-09-2015),Night Owl  (07-09-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-09-2015),Star Light  (05-09-2015),TheGooch  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whilst it is devastating, I think it's sad it has taken this image for people to react. But then I hope it does spark some action by countries around the world to help out more. This kind of thing has been happening for a long time. Thousands of children have died trying to reach safety.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (05-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-09-2015),SuperGranny  (09-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have two colleagues (siblings) from Iraq who left as refugees. This was in the early 90s when it was much easier to get into Australia as a refugee so they waited and were processed etc so I doubt their experience is as horrific as these people today. However the stories they tell me about Iraq, they were just children and had younger siblings, is heartbreaking. They can't remember ever going to a shopping centre or really any public place except school because their parents were terrified of places being blown up. This is the life these refugees are trying to flee from, I just wish I could throw my arms open and invite them all to Australia, even if temporarily while we share the load around other developed countries. It's just heartbreaking to think that if that was now, this could have very easily been her and her siblings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did any of you read the article "voyage of the damned", about the refugee ship in WWII that was carrying Jewish refugees? It got all the way to Miami but was refused asylum. The boat returned to Europe and all 947 Jewish travellers died in the holocaust.

I keep thinking of all those desperate ppl on rickety boats and then being either turned back, or dumped in Nauru.... It's just an accident of birth that it's not me and my girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Here are some great links if any of you are feeling the strong need like myself to figure out how to help these people. I genuinely hope this little boy's story is the beginning of some greater action being taking but all of our world leaders.

Five practical ways to help: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10482902.html

The Migration Offshore Aid Station, dedicated to saving lives at sea: http://www.moas.eu/donate/
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    "He looks like us. Like ours. Which he Is. Aylan is human, and so are we, and this is a human problem, and therefore our problem. Its not easy to look. But we can't turn away" - Australian Womens weekly. Sums it up well i think.

Ive been deeply moved by this incident as i have been by others ive seen on the plight of people in Syria. The attitude of some people tho disgusts me....as long as they are ok they dont care. It makes me feel utterly ashamed to b a human when i see such selfishness and lack of compassion.

RIP Aylan and all the others who drowned 😔 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Did any of you read the article "voyage of the damned", about the refugee ship in WWII that was carrying Jewish refugees? It got all the way to Miami but was refused asylum. The boat returned to Europe and all 947 Jewish travellers died in the holocaust.

I keep thinking of all those desperate ppl on rickety boats and then being either turned back, or dumped in Nauru.... It's just an accident of birth that it's not me and my girls.
    My parents, though not Jewish were ww2 displaced refugees and were fortunate enough to come here with just the clothes on their backs. (Not on leaky boats, but they were rescued by the Americans) The refugee camps here at that time were not like prisons. I'm going to see my mum tonight, so I'm going to ask her what the conditions were actually like back then.

Those poor Jewish people, no doubt sent back because of their religion- can you provide a link? I would like to read it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SixtiesChild For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtiesChild View Post
    My parents, though not Jewish were ww2 displaced refugees and were fortunate enough to come here with just the clothes on their backs. (Not on leaky boats, but they were rescued by the Americans) The refugee camps here at that time were not like prisons. I'm going to see my mum tonight, so I'm going to ask her what the conditions were actually like back then.

Those poor Jewish people, no doubt sent back because of their religion- can you provide a link? I would like to read it.
    http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/mobile/en/a...uleId=10005267

One article but this wasn't the one I read initially

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SixtiesChild  (05-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Photos have been released of other drowned children. Its just too horiffic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (05-09-2015)